Testing total ammonia vs. free ammonia

ajtomase

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 25, 2020
Messages
368
Reaction score
162
Location
Chandler
What state or country do you live in
Arizona
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently on Day 15 of my cycle and my ammonia reading using a Salifert kit has been sitting at .25 for a good week (nitrites are .1, nitrates are 100, lights have been off, dosed a bottle of Dr. Tim's One and Only on Day 1 and Day 10, and only added ammonia on 3 days as instructed).

My plan is to do an 80% water change next Tuesday to see how my number react and plan to add clownfish shortly after, do 20% water changes weekly to make sure ammonia stays low, and add new fish every 2 weeks until stocked.

If the Salifert test which is a total ammonia test is reading .25, if I use the Seachem ammonia badge, should it read less than that, and would the Seachem give a more accurate reading of ammonia levels in the tank?
 
I would not assume nitrate is as high as you think since nitrite is interfering.

I'm not sure which kit is more accurate, but the total ammonia is easier to detect since it is much higher.

That said, accuracy of many kits seems questionable at 0.25 ppm. :)
 
I would not assume nitrate is as high as you think since nitrite is interfering.

I'm not sure which kit is more accurate, but the total ammonia is easier to detect since it is much higher.

That said, accuracy of many kits seems questionable at 0.25 ppm. :)
Thank you! I have the Seachem ammonia badge on and it looks like my free ammonia level is around .05 (alert level). Between the Salifert .25 ppm and Seachem ammonia badge at .05, the .1 nitrite, and the 100ish nitrates, is my tank cycled and safe to do an 80% water change next Tuesday ready for clownfish soon after, or should it wait a little longer to cycle?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 42 31.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new