OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so still battling cyano on sand and some rocks. it says excessive nutrients or low flow possibilities or new tank. Well my tank is somewhat new and I have been feeding one frozen cube in morning and one in morning. I don't think that's excessive with 5 anthias, 4 tangs and a clownfish. Should I just let it ride? Vacuum sand 5 gal once a week? I boosted the MP40s to reef crest 70-80% but I don't have a ton of rock so flow shouldn't be issue.

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
so still battling cyano on sand and some rocks. it says excessive nutrients or low flow possibilities or new tank.
I just got done fighting this and I was surprised....
I had it pretty dang bad and it popped up in about 3 days. I used Chemiclean (22 1/2 scoops dissolved in tank water and put it in the sump) and it took care of the problem basically overnight. I took the cup off my skimmer, took out my Chemipure bag from the sump, and left my Cor20 and MP40's going at 75%.
Today is the 2nd day and my cyano is basically 100% gone. I was amazed. It was thick and nasty looking Wednesday morning. All fish and coral are happy.

I have been feeding the same basic amount for a while and it just appeared. I don't think my case was due to feeding....but who knows. My numbers were fairly normal except for a litttle high nitrates.

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With so many people recommending it I’m thinking I’d be crazy not to give it a try. Maybe I’ll turn my lights back to normal and still dose MB7. Amazon prime for the win

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the 20% WC after chemiclean today and man does that stuff work. Pretty crazy that I put it in during the evening and when I woke up it was pretty much all gone. Skimmer of course went crazy so now I get forward to messing with that but I’d rather deal with that than seeing cyano. I am still dosing 6 capfuls of MB7 in the tank.
One of my cheaper torches is looking very rough. Pretty much all pulled back. It hasn’t looked great since the temp heaters melting few weeks ago. The green torch was looking bad but the last few days has returned back to normal after being rough for a week plus. I don’t see any BJD on the black torch so I put it near the green one since I know that one is doing good and seeing if it will make a comeback

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add something awesome.....I noticed the Green Bay packers zoas have started to grow on the rocks now! Pretty excited. I have noticed a lot of new heads on different zoas but they have all been on the plug still

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I screwed up the skimmer again. I have no idea why it’s not working correctly. I have the open hole facing toward skimmer. The open/close valve right in the middle of that hole. I have the air valve open. The skimmer is in 8.5” of water. With all this the water level is way low on the skimmer. I sent an email to NYOS to see if they recommend anything

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have the open/close valve completely closed and the air barely cracked open. This is only way I can get it this high
image.jpg

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently ordered some new fish from Ocean Devotion. After seeing high compliments from @esther i wanted to try them myself. I will say customer service is very good. I received half my order: premium snowflake clownfish, pink margin fairy wrasse and a carpenter wrasse. Unfortunately the carpenter has been hiding the whole time so hopefully with time it will start swimming. The other half I have a naoko wrasse and an exquisite wrasse coming in a couple weeks

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention I also picked up an AquaPure 57W UV sterilizer. First couple days I had it going 24 hours a day but now I have it just running at night. It has worked out flawlessly. Skimmer still not right. I have it pretty much closed all the way and air barely cracked open. Only way to get water level high. Sometimes it does take awhile to start working when I turn it back on. Heard air hose could get plugged so I’ve blown in that. Just frustrating

PilotOfSubmarines

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Forgot to mention I also picked up an AquaPure 57W UV sterilizer. First couple days I had it going 24 hours a day but now I have it just running at night. It has worked out flawlessly. Skimmer still not right. I have it pretty much closed all the way and air barely cracked open. Only way to get water level high. Sometimes it does take awhile to start working when I turn it back on. Heard air hose could get plugged so I’ve blown in that. Just frustrating
Glad the Aqua UV 57W worked out for you. I've been running it for 6 months and knock on wood nothing bad has come into the tank yet and the water is crystal clear.

I'm using the Reef Octopus 202 and it's been a dream. Hope you can get your skimmer figured out!

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Skimz 167 works flawlessly with the WB 220. Honestly, now that I have it dialed it, I would buy this skimmer over again if I had to.

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you can pull the Venturi off the skimmer pump and give it a soak in citric acid, it may have some calcium buildup or something in it. While you’re at it maybe give the pump an acid soak and look at the impeller on it. Low pressure and bubble sounds like those two could be the likely culprits.

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if you can pull the Venturi off the skimmer pump and give it a soak in citric acid, it may have some calcium buildup or something in it. While you’re at it maybe give the pump an acid soak and look at the impeller on it. Low pressure and bubble sounds like those two could be the likely culprits.
I’ll have to buy some then. It’s only been running for a couple months with a new tank so I wouldn’t think buildup but I guess you never know

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well something crazy happened. The protein skimmer started acting decent. I’m actually getting some large bubbles starting yesterday. Didn’t clean anything. The only thing I did was turn it off to dump it and then when I turned it back on it took like 10 seconds to start up so I opened air valve up on top and it started working. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.
I also placed an order for the 75 gal reef cleaners package that includes hermits and crabs. I haven’t had hermits in few years in old tank and have only had 1 crab before. Some algae was popping up so wanted more life in there to help keep it down. I think John sent me double the amount of hermit crabs I was supposed to get but not complaining. They arrived today and the crabs and hermits are already going to work on it

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar thing happened with my 160 but its far oversized for my tank, I cleaned out the cup and cleaned the water intake and it started working twice as efficient.
Have you done a par test/map on your lights?

OP
OP
J

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar thing happened with my 160 but its far oversized for my tank, I cleaned out the cup and cleaned the water intake and it started working twice as efficient.
Have you done a par test/map on your lights?
I have not done any par reading but coral all seem to be doing really well

Back