Thank you dollar store!

CoralScape123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a 10 gallon recently and went to the dollar store to pick up some super glue. Turns out there's a bunch of good stuff there. Here's what I got for around $30

1 Turkey baster
1 Dental kit (tooth brush, a pick thingy, a mirror that lets me see behind rocks and frags)
1 set of paint brush with different tips (cleaning corals)
4 Super glue
4 different kinds of Tupperware, 1 large enough for quarantine small fish and inverts (got 2 holes that open up on top)
1 bucket
1 box of gloves
1 face shield (the dental hygienist kind that cover eye, mouth, entire face for fragging zoas)
1 microfiber cloth for cleaning outside surface of tank
1 sham wow knock off for cleaning spills. I cut a small piece for cleaning tank corners
1 magnifying glass (works surprisingly well)
1 bottle of medium size shell for hermit crab
1 bottle of small size shell
1 bottle of random decoration shell
1 measuring cup (so I don't have to use the kitchen one)
1 funnel for pouring RO water into 2 liter bottles for easy top off
3 scented candles
1 diet coke
various snacks

Now I don't have to raid the kitchen for stuff!

OP
OP
C

CoralScape123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! They also have the GEL super glue which is easier to use for us.
That's what I went there for initially! also picked up a pack of quickset epoxy in a syringe... but I'm too scared to try it since it doesn't say the ingredients. Might use it on some other things around the house though!

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started a 10 gallon recently and went to the dollar store to pick up some super glue. Turns out there's a bunch of good stuff there. Here's what I got for around $30

1 Turkey baster
1 Dental kit (tooth brush, a pick thingy, a mirror that lets me see behind rocks and frags)
1 set of paint brush with different tips (cleaning corals)
4 Super glue
4 different kinds of Tupperware, 1 large enough for quarantine small fish and inverts (got 2 holes that open up on top)
1 bucket
1 box of gloves
1 face shield (the dental hygienist kind that cover eye, mouth, entire face for fragging zoas)
1 microfiber cloth for cleaning outside surface of tank
1 sham wow knock off for cleaning spills. I cut a small piece for cleaning tank corners
1 magnifying glass (works surprisingly well)
1 bottle of medium size shell for hermit crab
1 bottle of small size shell
1 bottle of random decoration shell
1 measuring cup (so I don't have to use the kitchen one)
1 funnel for pouring RO water into 2 liter bottles for easy top off
3 scented candles
1 diet coke
various snacks

Now I don't have to raid the kitchen for stuff!
You also want to be using RODI water not RO...

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then the shipping for Radions alone sent you wayyyy back ;Blackeye

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing with dollar store stuff is a lot of it is rejects. With that being the case you don’t know if the reason it was rejected may be harmful to tank. Like maybe not the right chemical composition in Tupperware manufacturing process, etc

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing with dollar store stuff is a lot of it is rejects. With that being the case you don’t know if the reason it was rejected may be harmful to tank. Like maybe not the right chemical composition in Tupperware manufacturing process, etc

Avoid High-Risk Plastics​

While it’s best to avoid plastic food storage containers altogether, there are safer choices if you don’t have the means to make the switch yet. If you look at the bottom of your plastic food storage containers and they have a #2, #4, or #5, those are generally recognized as safe for food and drink. If any of your containers have a #3, #6, or #7, those should be disposed of because they are considered high-risk plastics.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

While it’s best to avoid plastic food storage containers altogether, there are safer choices if you don’t have the means to make the switch yet. If you look at the bottom of your plastic food storage containers and they have a #2, #4, or #5, those are generally recognized as safe for food and drink. If any of your containers have a #3, #6, or #7, those should be disposed of because they are considered high-risk plastics.
Yup, that’s good info but my point was if it’s a reject maybe it’s rejected because that # is not accurate

OP
OP
C

CoralScape123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow didn't know that. Thanks!
*edit They're all 4 and 5s The funnel didn't have a number though...

Last edited:

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful that the shells aren't sprayed with a varnish or something to make them shiny.

DaddyFish

“5 percenter”
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm soaking them for a week or so just in case. They' got sand and bits of debris on them so I don't think they put much effort in there. Smells like the sea.
You'll never cover up the smell of that leftover soaking wet mushy strip of Nori in the clip. Nothing erases that odor except a puffer fart.

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would they accidentally make a container out of a different kind of plastic?
incorrect plastic composition or issues during the manufacturing process can lead to the final product or plastic grade not being where it's suppsed to be at. With that said though, i don't think they can still "sell" the plasticware for food storage in a 99 cent store... unless it specifically says not for food storage. but that's just me being optmisitic that humans, companies, and the govt doing the right thing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back