Thanks for having us

nicowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I had a freshwater aquarium thru high school, then my wife and I kept a painted turtle we rescued from a pond that was scheduled to be poisoned due to a bullhead infestation. He was just the size of a 50 cent piece when we found him :).
About 4 years ago, we got a 125 gal from Petsmart for SUPER cheap and decided that we wanted to start a saltwater project. We got gravel and salt, a canister filter, and we set it up. I read about nitrogen cycling, and we needed time to save up for rocks, so we just left it running fallow.
Well, life happened. So now we just got our rocks, built an aquascape, got it all situated in the tank about 3 weeks ago. I have been reading and watching videos, trying to absorb as much information as possible to start this thing off the right way.
So, the ammonia is down to 0.5, other parameters look good, and I think we're ready to add a couple fish. The end goal is a mixed reef with happy, reefsafe, fish.
I just bought a used sump for a great price, and I am looking at how to implement that (drilling the tank?) instead of the canister filter. As the BRS guys say, "it's a journey, not starting point."

fishtank initial setup.JPG
Welcome to the club ! I recently joined as well

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I had a freshwater aquarium thru high school, then my wife and I kept a painted turtle we rescued from a pond that was scheduled to be poisoned due to a bullhead infestation. He was just the size of a 50 cent piece when we found him :).
About 4 years ago, we got a 125 gal from Petsmart for SUPER cheap and decided that we wanted to start a saltwater project. We got gravel and salt, a canister filter, and we set it up. I read about nitrogen cycling, and we needed time to save up for rocks, so we just left it running fallow.
Well, life happened. So now we just got our rocks, built an aquascape, got it all situated in the tank about 3 weeks ago. I have been reading and watching videos, trying to absorb as much information as possible to start this thing off the right way.
So, the ammonia is down to 0.5, other parameters look good, and I think we're ready to add a couple fish. The end goal is a mixed reef with happy, reefsafe, fish.
I just bought a used sump for a great price, and I am looking at how to implement that (drilling the tank?) instead of the canister filter. As the BRS guys say, "it's a journey, not starting point."

fishtank initial setup.JPG

Welcome! Glad you joined.

CONGRATULATIONS - YOU ARE ROCKING IT - You already have your Build Thread Badge - WAHOO!!!

This might help you find people local to you (thinking you are in Mass):

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back