Thanks PaulB- Mandarin feeder

AXO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool, Maybe I should spend some time with this.

Kortney1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Hold the bent part on your substrate and mark it about an inch above the water. Cut the tube there.

Can you please explain this direction a little better for me. I don't understand what I am to do here. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The finished feeder should have a small funnel (that you can make) just above the water level. Take the tube with the bend on it and stick it in the feeder. Put it in the tank and if the tube is sticking out of the water to far, cut it at the water level. You just need the funnel to be over the water level so you can put the shrimp in it. It is not an exact measurement. If you can cut the tube about at the top of the water, the funnel rim will be about an inch or so out of the water. You want to be able to pour shrimp and a tiny bit of water into the funnel. Then add a tiny bit more water like a tablespoon to force the shrimp down the tube.

Kortney1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Paul
I got my feeder all done and hatched my brine shrimp. Now I think I am having problems. I used a fish net like you said you used. But is there a particular size fish net I should use? How do you know if the holes are too big? I have no idea if the shrimp got out or not. So far my hermit crab and snowflake eel love the feeder but my mandarin hasn't gone to it. Also I bought what said it was a brine shrimp net to catch the shrimp but when I was draining the water in the sink the shrimp were going through the net. What am I doing wrong. Because of them draining through the net that specifically said for brine shrimp is why I know thing the regular fish net in the aquarium is not working either. I really need some help asap. My mandarin is very skinny and I was hoping this would fatten her up again. Please tell me what to do.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not use a net, I use a "Plankton Collector" from "Florida Aqua Farms". It is used for rotifers and new born brine shrimp. If you use a net, you need a baby brine shrimp net. In the meantime, use a coffee filter. Fold the thing so there is a point on the bottom. Pour the shrimp and water through it. The shrimp will all be in the "point". Invert that part in a little bit of water, like an ounce. All the shrimp will now be in that water and you can pour that in the feeder. Do not add much water or it will push the shrimp through the mesh in your feeder. Then order that strainer from Florida Aqua farms. I strain the water through that. It is like a small bucket with a very fine mesh at the bottom. Then I shoot a little water around in it with a baster and quickly (before the water has a chance to go through) dump it into a container.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an update. A lot of people are having a problem finding an appropriate size mesh for the top of the think. I now use a piece from the inside of a reverse osmosis cartridge. If you cut off the ends of a used RO cartridge there is a large screen rolled up in there that has the perfect sized holes and it is enough to last you the rest of your life. It is also plastic so it lasts a long time and my urchin so far has not eaten through it.

Mushroom Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's time to replace my RO filter :) Got a pic of the new material by any chance?

Thanks for the update Paul!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a picture of it but it looks like a stocking that got stiff because the Lady never washed them.
It is some type of plastic material with very fine holes, just the right size. Of course I don't know if all RO units use the same mesh stuff but in mine there was a lot of it, more than enough to last me the rest of my life so if someone has an old one, they can supply a lot of people. I used much of it on other projects so I don't have much left.

Mushroom Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to say thanks again to Paul for this design, it is a real game changer. After the success I had with my female, I recently added a male mandarin to my tank (I made sure he was eating mysis before I got him). He and my female paired up very quickly, which was fun to watch in and of itself. They both eat mysis, frozen brine and other offerings as well, but they absolutely love this baby brine feeder. I "top it up" daily and they are there all the time. I tried using the mesh from an old RO membrane as Paul described earlier, but my male didn't seem to like the texture, or something about it, because once I put it on there, he stopped coming to the feeder (the female didn't seem to care). Once I reverted back to the stockings, he's been on it nearly non stop. So, thank you again Paul, from my the bottom of my mandarins' guts, for this ingenious feeder design. Westley and Princess Buttercup are forever grateful :)

Westley...

Westley and Princess Buttercup...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to age the thing. Fish are afraid of new looking, white things and will get used to it when it gets some growth on it.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually there will be so much growth on it that the shrimp can't get out. I can tell because the mandarins start scratching curses on the glass. I remove the screen and brush it off under a faucet. If it has holes in it, I replace it. The new design from a RO membrane lasts forever so I just have to clean it. I probably go 3 weeks between cleanings. Not on myself, I wash my face every day, but the feeder can go a while.

dzel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an update. A lot of people are having a problem finding an appropriate size mesh for the top of the think. I now use a piece from the inside of a reverse osmosis cartridge. If you cut off the ends of a used RO cartridge there is a large screen rolled up in there that has the perfect sized holes and it is enough to last you the rest of your life. It is also plastic so it lasts a long time and my urchin so far has not eaten through it.

What brand of RO cartridge is that? I just took apart my BRS RO cartridge and I didn't see any mesh.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to check it out. I got it from The Filter Guys

Mushroom Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to followup on this and let you know that my mandarins are doing extremely well with this feeder. I top it up about 4 times per week and clean it out each time. Tonight was the second time I've seen them mate in 5 weeks. For a fish that used to be deemed nearly impossible to keep, this is incredible to see!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 45 86.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.8%
Back