Thanks PaulB- Mandarin feeder

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean mine about every two weeks. Any longer and they get really putrid inside. Have been using the net from a brine shrimp net also. Though I will be checking out the inside of a filter next time. I also spray the net with a kitchen spray with bleach if there is a lot of algae on it! Then let it dry, rinse really well and dry again. Had to do this when I had an algae problem.

Shelley

PS, Paul my fish say hi.

Mushroom Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's interesting that you're able to go that much longer without cleaning. If I go more than two days, mine really reeks. My tank is only 29 gallons, so I'm scared of leaving the nasties in there any longer than I have to. I use a little less than 1/8 tsp of eggs at each hatching. How much is everybody else using?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also clean it every two or three weeks, it never reeks or even smells. I think I must have the proper bacteria living in it and my tank so I don't see any problems. The only reason I clean it is eventually the shrimp can't get through any more because it grows coralline algae

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean mine about every two weeks. Any longer and they get really putrid inside. Have been using the net from a brine shrimp net also. Though I will be checking out the inside of a filter next time. I also spray the net with a kitchen spray with bleach if there is a lot of algae on it! Then let it dry, rinse really well and dry again. Had to do this when I had an algae problem.

That's interesting that you're able to go that much longer without cleaning. If I go more than two days, mine really reeks. My tank is only 29 gallons, so I'm scared of leaving the nasties in there any longer than I have to. I use a little less than 1/8 tsp of eggs at each hatching. How much is everybody else using?

I also clean it every two or three weeks, it never reeks or even smells. I think I must have the proper bacteria living in it and my tank so I don't see any problems. The only reason I clean it is eventually the shrimp can't get through any more because it grows coralline algae

I wonder if the mesh they are using is keeping too many shrimp trapped in the feeder? (Which die and decay.)

Also, I didn't know til the other day that San Francisco Bay strain of shrimps are significantly smaller than the Salt Lake shrimps.

So maybe switching to the SFBB eggs (or switching mesh) would help with the smell?

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I use no where near an 1\8 of a teaspoon of eggs. I use the San Francisco bay variety. I agree that if you have a net that does not allow them to slowly escape they would die and pollute the feeder. It is a fine balance. Worth tweeking until you get it just right. Never have used any other brand of eggs.

Actually I think I will measure the tiny scoop I use into a teaspoon just to be sure.

Good luck
Shelley

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just dawned on me that you actually said it was from a brine shrimp net.

Too fine for sure!! :) It's designed to catch them – from babies on up.

Find a new mesh and that should solve the problem. I'd hope.

What about the mesh from a regular fish net? It would at least keep out the predators, but would it also release them too quickly?

Last edited:

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send me your address and I would be happy to send you half! I pull the net a bit snug across the tape container. Must stretch the material just enough. If the shrimp are older they do not come out! I also have a blue net that works fine. I was able to get enough for two out of each net. I did check my scoop, I use 3 level scoops of eggs each time. The scoop says .02 ml. It is less.

Shelley

Last edited:

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excited to see this! I have a mandarin in QT now - so excited to put him into my tank! Love all the dragonettes too! I have a new scooter. So excited!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shelly, @Paul B @Mushroom Boy
OK guys I have been wanting to do this for quite some time now. and now I believe is the time. Mandarins are my favort fish hands down so I really want to be successful.

questions:
what tank do you think would be best my 90DT with lots of LR from TBS or my 20L macro algae tank.
what BBS hatchery are you guys finding works best?
was thinking I could use a syringe to add the BBS to the feeder see any problems with this?
I would like it to be black where to I get the small PVC
most electric tape I see now days dont come with the plastic container any leads.
I plan on using panty hose for the mess net see any problems with this?

I'll update this thread or start mine own.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mandarin should be in the biggest tank you have. Home Depot and Ace hardware sell electrical tape in plastic containers. You can get gray PVC and sometimes black at Home Depot or a plumbing supply. It is the tubing used to hook up sinks. All panty hose are not the same, you need it with very small holes. If the shrimp come right through, you need smaller holes.
Good luck

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mandarin should be in the biggest tank you have. Home Depot and Ace hardware sell electrical tape in plastic containers. You can get gray PVC and sometimes black at Home Depot or a plumbing supply. It is the tubing used to hook up sinks. All panty hose are not the same, you need it with very small holes. If the shrimp come right through, you need smaller holes.
Good luck

Ok thanks Paul,
I have been thinking about this for some time, it times to give it a try. I do have 2 wrasse in the 90 that's why I was considering the 20L macro tank.
now to find the supplies....

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To test the panty hose. First, remove them from your wife/girlfriend,GrandMother etc. Then after you hatch some shrimp, pour them through the hose. Some of them should stay in the mesh but many will go through. If they all go through easily, the holes are too big.

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To test the panty hose. First, remove them from your wife/girlfriend,GrandMother etc. Then after you hatch some shrimp, pour them through the hose. Some of them should stay in the mesh but many will go through. If they all go through easily, the holes are too big.

thanks Paul I will test a few out to find the right flow through rate.
next question SF bay BBS eggs or SLC eggs from brine shrimp direct? maybe that was covered I'll go back and skim the thread. but from what I understand ( and granted that not much.lol) is the SF bay are smaller does it matter?
does size really matter....?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about the size and I never noticed any difference, but you sometimes get lousy eggs from all manufacturers. Lately I have been getting a lot of bad batches, like almost half the eggs I buy

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about the size and I never noticed any difference, but you sometimes get lousy eggs from all manufacturers. Lately I have been getting a lot of bad batches, like almost half the eggs I buy
and you PM me the suppler you have been getitng less than idea batches from?
I am having trouble deciding between a 90% hatch rate or double the volume @ a 75% hatch rate for $10 more. simple math says go for the cheaper and more as it equals more BBS. However per yield you get less so one would have to adjust the amount starting with.

maybe I am putting WAY to much thought in to this than needed... just want my soon to be lil buddy taken care of. :D

805reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
following a long... I have 1 mandarin that has been doing well on pods for about a year but would like to add several more. Planning to build this soon.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all claim 90% hatch rate but I have never met the guy who counts them, have you? Some batches you get almost no hatch rate and sometimes, from the same manufacturer you get maybe 75%.
I hatch them every day and have for decades. I never buy the big cans of them because every time I did, I got like 5% hatch rate. I think they substitute most of the eggs with either pepper or black ich.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all claim 90% hatch rate but I have never met the guy who counts them, have you? Some batches you get almost no hatch rate and sometimes, from the same manufacturer you get maybe 75%.
I hatch them every day and have for decades. I never buy the big cans of them because every time I did, I got like 5% hatch rate. I think they substitute most of the eggs with either pepper or black ich.

what really? that sucks I was thinking of a lb. so I don't have to pay shipping every month. no LFS here...

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 17 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back