Thanks PaulB- Mandarin feeder

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what type of eggs it is. But my Dendro eat it also. And so do my mandarins in my large tank. More of a treat for them. Along with black worms and small pieces of clams. But I mainly rely on the feeder from Paul. Along with the occasional additions of pods. I have never decapsulated eggs.

My red Mae is still in an observation tank. He is fat and eats off his feeder. I do not want to add him to the large tank until he is larger. He was pretty small when he arrived. And it would be nice if he ate other foods. He does eat the NutraMar Ova. Great start.

drtrash

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live food and feeding machine is a lot of work. If I shut off pump I can feed ova and callanus zooplankton

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Works really good, doesn't it! :D

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it work to load the feeder directly with decapsulated brine shrimp eggs, and let them hatch directly in the feeder?

I could rig up an air hose to the feeder to aerate the eggs. Or just try it as is and see what happens ...
Has anyone tried this? It would be much simpler to put the decap eggs into the feeder....

MJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried this? It would be much simpler to put the decap eggs into the feeder....
I'm not really sure about how much simpler it can get then hatching the eggs and pouring them down to feeding tube? Also I don't think I want a air tube in my DT ?
IMOP Sometimes it's best not to overthink things.
With that said anything's possible that's what makes this hobby great good luck let us know if you make one.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really sure about how much simpler it can get then hatching the eggs and pouring them down to feeding tube? Also I don't think I want a air tube in my DT ?
IMOP Sometimes it's best not to overthink things.
With that said anything's possible that's what makes this hobby great good luck let us know if you make one.
If they can successfully hatch in-tank then I can set up an autofeeder to dump new decap eggs in each day, and have a weekend auto feeder. And/or have the tank sitter drop in eggs each day. Asking someone to hatch and transfer the BBS is a lot more work.

Kyle Rinker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only had my feeder deployed for 1 day now, but my mandarin is the only fish in the tank that doesn't seem to be curious. Do you all have any tricks on how to get her interested? There are plenty of baby brine in the feeder and it is located in the corner she likes to hang out in.

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried it for a while but my Mandarin picked a spot in the coral where she liked her white worms delivered. As soon as the top comes off she goes to her spot and waits for the feeding tube. Worms are delivered and she scarfs them up. Now also takes pellets.
When she's full the other fish finish the scraps. I have been spot feeding WWs for a year now to all the fish on a daily basis. They all know the feeding tube and for the most part wait their turn. Very little waste and fat and healthy fish.
Soon they will move to a new Reefer 425XL so will have to work out a new routine.

doodledreads

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Paul B , this absolutely works. You saved my red scooter from starving. For hatching, I am having a very good success with "Brine Shrimp Hatchery Dish" sold by Brine Shrimp Direct on Amazon. Its like soaking beans overnight. I want to make a 3d version of the feeder and saw @WesleyC 's design. Did anyone else tried making one and willing to share? I am absolutely new to 3d printing.

Akey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need one, but am not very handy. I wish I were. I'm attempting to train a pair now. I got excited when I saw food was gone from the breeder net. Imagine my disappointment when I discovered it was my watchman goby sneaking in there and stealing the food.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they can successfully hatch in-tank then I can set up an autofeeder to dump new decap eggs in each day, and have a weekend auto feeder. And/or have the tank sitter drop in eggs each day. Asking someone to hatch and transfer the BBS is a lot more work.

Brine shrimp that hatch in a tank are lost to a mandarin as the shrimp head right for the light at the top and mandarins eat at the bottom.

Do you all have any tricks on how to get her interested? There are plenty of baby brine in the feeder and it is located in the corner she likes to hang out in.

Yes, it is too new and clean. Let it get a coating of algae on it. Mandarins and a lot of fish fear, new, white things.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VO3434. I don't know from microns. I used a stocking, not one of mine, my wife's.
Cover the hole so she doesn't notice it. Don't stretch it or the shrimp will swim right out.
I have been using the tiny mesh inside a used RO membrane. I am not sure if all of them have such a mesh but mine worked perfectly because my urchins eat through the stocking material.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back