Thanks PaulB- Mandarin feeder

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question regarding the shrimp that make it out into the tank. I know the other fish will go after them but can they survive and populate if not eaten?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, I use one of these to get the air out. Put it on the screen and sucks it right out.

You can determine the mesh by pouring the shrimp through and some should go through and some should get caught in the mesh.
I build my own hatcheries, I have an article someplace.

The shrimp that get out will survive until they are eaten. They live in saltwater.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with the air bubble. A tiny hole to let it escape might work. Could be the pantyhose is to fine. Or the angle of the tube. I just kept tweaking it and the air bubble went away. Having the funnel close to water level as possible helped also. I use the hatchery dishes from brine shrimp direct.

Paul did you ever have issues with air?

Shelley

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fell in love with mandarins on first sight at a lfs. I have a relatively new tank and don't have tons of experience yet so I'm trying to learn everything I can before getting one so that I can give it the best care possible. So this thread is great!!
BUT...
I have a question about upkeep of the BBS hatchery process. How do you go on vacation if you have to do something every day with the things?! I'm really in love with mandarins but not sure I want to commit to an everyday thing for the rest of my life, lol. Being a nurse I work 3 straight 12 hr shifts each week at the least and with drive time it's closer to 14 hrs away from home. So for those 3 nights all I manage is to check my tank to make sure everything is ok, top off water and feed the inhabitants. All other maintenance is done on off days. Would I be able to hatch in batches on the days off and have enough for my working days? And how in the heck do you take a week or 2 of vacation?!

Last edited:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you go on vacation

I save up my money, then decide if the place has good diving and free drinks. :p
I think with your schedule, a mandarin is not a good idea. I did invent a vacation mandarin hatchery/feeder but I wouldn't use it with your schedule.

I also have a Supermodel who comes over when I am on vacation and feeds my fish. The fish like her much better than they like me so when they get depressed, I put up a picture of her near the tank or she texts them for me.
Her picture is in my book feeding them.

Perhaps if the hospital would let you bring home some anesthetic you can put the mandarin to sleep while you are at work. :rolleyes:

Paul did you ever have issues with air?

Only when I am SCUBA diving and I run out of it. Otherwise read what I wrote above. :D

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about raising pods? I would GUESS that dumping a bunch of pods in the tank should get you through those workdays
That's what I was hoping. And doing the BBS on the 3-4 days I'm off. I've been planning a copepod haven in my sump towards that goal. The answer from Paul makes me a little sad.

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just trying to figure it out myself. I take my NCLEX early Sept and might end up with a similar schedule [emoji23].

Scrappy RN

I'm your Huckleberry!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just trying to figure it out myself. I take my NCLEX early Sept and might end up with a similar schedule [emoji23].
Good luck!!! If I had others in the household who could help it would be different. But I don't on a regular basis so I have to only get what I can take care of myself. I guess for a prolonged vacation I'll have to hire help. Luckily I know a guy here locally!! @parroki !

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer from Paul makes me a little sad.

It's not my intention to make you sad. The mandarin did that, I am just here to make you happy, :D
Perhaps a whale shark, oh wait, they eat all the time also. :eek:

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul it is a good thing you have supermodels. I need a couple to help me out on the weekends.

I did get a male red mandarin to go with my female. He is in quarantine fattening up. I love watching the mandarins. Now I have 4 to watch! If only I had a mermaid now.
Shelley

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mermaids are hard to find and the plastic bag they come in are hard to get rid of. But the good part is they need very little acclimating.
A credit card and shopping mall should do it . :rolleyes:

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a merman. He has a credit card. And a few hardware stores!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never heard of it, but I have never heard of a lot of things. :confused:

WesleyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not. I have used NutraMar Ova and they will eat it. Great for quarantine where the flow is generally low.

Shelley

I think NutrMar Ova is just lobster eggs. I just got a pair of ruby red and trying out Paul's feeder design. I have the pair sharing half of one of my pod tanks at the moment. Easier to train them on using the feeder in a small tank. Other than feeding them BBS, I also try different baby fish food in between. So far they seem to pick up decapsulated brine shrimp eggs right away. For any known bad hatch rate brine shrimp eggs, just decap them and feed them as is. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back