That moment when you realize you messed up your plumbing...

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, need to vent for a second...

I had spent the past few weeks dry fitting my plumbing, waiting for the last PVC pieces I needed to get in. They showed up in the mail today, and after my son was in bed, I began to cement everything in place. My wife was absolutely horrified with the smell (dunno what she thought would happen) and I tried to work as quickly as possible through things, rather than doing it over two days as I had originally planned.

Anyway, when everything was cemented in, there was only one last thing to do - put in place the little bit of flexible tubing I am using on my return. I consulted with a local plumbing supply store, and while I asked for a 3/4th hose barb, the barb on the bulkhead side seemed a little bit too roomy to me - like maybe he misunderstood me and thought I was looking for a hose with a 3/4 outer diameter and not inner diameter. Still, when I had dry fit it everything seemed to work - and it was just screwed/taped in, so I figured I would clamp it on tight and give it a wet test in 24 hours to see if the system held water. If it didn't work, I'd just unscrew it and find/order another fitting.

When tightening the clamp, I heard a crack. It was pretty dark in the sump, so I got a light. I overtightened the clamp and cracked the hose barb. My attempts to remove the hose barb just caused it to fall apart, which mean there was nothing left to grab onto, and the whole assembly (bushing to slip converter, reducer, etc) was shot.

Fortunately, I remembered to install unions, meaning I can just unscrew it and rebuild. Unfortunately, the parts are not easily available locally for some reason. I found a selection of parts on Amazon Prime which will basically do the same thing, but I'll need to reapply purple primer/cement again on at least two fittings, which will mean at earliest I'll be able to wet test the build now is on Thursday.

Last edited:

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a hacksaw, you can take the blade off And try sawing the barb out of the fitting. I've had to do something similar when i needed it done that day.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always order more then you need. This type of stuff happens to everyone.

OP
OP
E

eschaton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always order more then you need. This type of stuff happens to everyone.

Yeah. As I said, I'm just really, really glad I decided to install unions on all of the lines just below the bulkheads (that's what I was waiting on until today - the unions to come in the mail) because if I had been impatient and just glued it straight I might have had to have my entire return assembly scrapped, not just a few inches of it.

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was expecting to read about an epic leak, but glad you're still good.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You could use an extractor and not have to replace anything but the barb fitting.

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i ever need a union, to remove the sump or fuge for instance, ill cut out the pvc trim a bit from both raw ends and go buy a union. The last 6 inches of piping that connects to anything that could break, i use a barb, reinforced vinyl tubing, and Zipties. Not hard plumbing directly to a pump also reduces vibrations.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 25 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 95 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back