Cracked my aqua ultraviolet UV in the body of the PVC tube. How would you fix it? (pic included)

RandomHero180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2632.jpg

My first thought was safe Epoxy but the more I think about it, I'm thinking aquarium safe silicon, with a silicon patch with 2 metal hose clamps?

I have Aquqrium sealent, JB WaterWeld on hand.

Anything better? its not under a lot of pressure.

maybe Something like this?-
Capture.PNG

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2632.jpg

My first thought was safe Epoxy but the more I think about it, I'm thinking aquarium safe silicon, with a silicon patch with 2 metal hose clamps?

Capture.PNG

Thanks!
IMG_2632.jpg

Capture.PNG

Thanks!
Two ideas. First, what diameter is the body housing? I have a smart UV and I’m thinking the body is compatible with larger pvc fittings like 3”. If that’s the case you could section that part out with a chop saw and use a coupling and pvc solvent/glue it back in. If not, I would go the way you’re thinking. Get the all rubber coupling at Home Depot, and aquarium silicone. Lightly sand the damaged area to create something for the silicone to bind too and goop it on. Slide the coupling on and tighten.

OP
OP
R

RandomHero180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two ideas. First, what diameter is the body housing? I have a smart UV and I’m thinking the body is compatible with larger pvc fittings like 3”. If that’s the case you could section that part out with a chop saw and use a coupling and pvc solvent/glue it back in. If not, I would go the way you’re thinking. Get the all rubber coupling at Home Depot, and aquarium silicone. Lightly sand the damaged area to create something for the silicone to bind too and goop it on. Slide the coupling on and tighten.

You are correct it is 3inch I believe. I didn't think about just removing it and adding a coupler. I would have to be pretty precise because the quart tube has a "pedestal" that it sits/rests in at the bottom. But that's a solid idea. Most PVC glue is reef safe?

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about fiberglass?
You are correct it is 3inch I believe. I didn't think about just removing it and adding a coupler. I would have to be pretty precise because the quart tube has a "pedestal" that it sits/rests in at the bottom. But that's a solid idea. Most PVC glue is reef safe?
PVC glue is reefsafe yes. The quartz sleeve and the length of the section can be calculated pretty easily. That would be the most water tight bond you can get since it’s pvc bonding with pvc.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weld on used to sell a pvc epoxy that when cured was stronger than the pipe. I do not recall the product number but we used it quite often. The surface must be clean and dry. Tried it on a leaking 90 at the bottom of a full storage tank and it did not cure. Ended up draining the tank and cutting out the fitting. Everything else it worked perfectly.
If you decide to cut there is an O.D. tape measure that can be used to find the outside diameter of a pipe. If the fitting can’t be found at a plumbing supply a pool store may have what you need as some of the old uv were made from pool supplies.
I looked on the Weld-on website and found a two part epoxy that should work. They have a 4 ounces package that’s not cheap but will be an easy fix. If it was me, I would use it before cutting

Kona Diver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the specs on website for my smart uh and apparently these aren’t made out of pvc but a high density polymer. What specific type who knows without contacting them directly. Probably HDPE. Yours is probably the same material too. If that’s the case the way you would want to fix this would be based on what polymer it actually is as adhesives do not work with certain polymers and the ONLY way to repair them is with heat, injection welding. HDPE only bonds with molten HDPE.Silicone, glues, epoxies etc will not stick to HDPE.

Just wanted to share that as I was mistaken thinking it was pvc and I’d hate to find out you cut it on my bad advice only to find out the pvc glue didn’t bond. I would call the mfg and ask what material the housing is made from

Last edited:

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These definitely have a lifetime warranty. Call them and get a new body. All you need is the serial number on the body. Obviously, take it offline until you receive the new housing.

In my experience, the black ABS housings do not last as long as the white PVC housings but both fail eventually because the UV degrades the plastic over time.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use (true thick) black Gorilla tape over it (wrapping the place around 360 degrees) - seriously, you will find it will hold it best.. A few layers accurately wrapped and it will probably last until you are ready to bind this appliance.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back