OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

Its been a few months since I last updated. Most of this was a misunderstanding on my part for when the tank would be ready.

But the wait is over, the tank is in! I got it a week or so ago actually. I had it delivered to the nearest terminal. I had never picked up something at a freight terminal before but it was essentially no big deal. I just showed up, and asked the lady in the office where to go and a nice man with a fork lift came out with the tank strapped to a pallet. I came prepared to remove it from the pallet with some tin snips and glad I did. After it was disconnected I used some handled glass suction cups to lift the tank off and into my car. Once home this is how it looked:

CCZD8Jn.jpg

The silicone was definitely not perfect, but it wasn't terrible. The corners all had oopsies in them like this:

FUDPrbm.jpg

In some places the silicone filled out the outside chamfer, and in other places it did not. Overall, I would say the silicone work was markedly better then an aqueon black framed aquarium but not quite as nice as the new aqueon frameless aquariums if that gives people an idea of what we are talking about. The tank however was quite sturdy and delivered without scratches, so it was time to accept it and move on.

First step was to drill holes for the overflow and return. I am using a modular marine overflow and it came with its own template. The drilled proceeded relatively ok with only one incident of decent chipout but not enough to effect a bulkhead seal.

GK26Cb6.jpg

After that I drilled the return holes:

v3CTdcD.jpg

Next I wanted to paint the back of the tank black. I previously did a test of chalkboard paint and flat black and could not honestly tell any marked difference between the two. So I proceeded to paint the back with rustoleum flat black paint. Here is how the first coat looked:

6Ydj7U3.jpg

It ended up taking 3 coats plus some touchups before I was done.

Once painted I moved the tank into my house and onto the stand. A yoga mat purchased for this purpose was sacrificed to the tank gods for the benefit of all.

J1F1MRF.jpg

Plumbing has been something I have been thinking about a lot of the last couple of months. I originally wanted all hard pvc connections but the realities of trying to squeeze a bean animal overflow, a decent sized sump, two return lines, a co2 reactor, an ATO reservoir, and a UV sterilizer all into the space provided by this modified petco stand were a bit too much for me. Honestly the UV sterilizer is definitely the hefty straw that broke this camels back. Getting it to fit using only hard pvc connections while also allowing for servicing was just too much. Once I came to grips with this I decided to use a hybrid approach with some hard pvc lines and the rest vinyl tubing or spiral pond tubing. After that, plumbing was easy.

13glPUT.jpg

Once the plumbing was in place I did my fill and plumbing test at the same time.

SF0ccwH.jpg

Total success! Dialing in the bean animal was as simple as I always hoped it would be.

Meanwhile I had been preparing for this moment with additional supplies. An acquaintance from another forum traded me his old viparspectra 165w reef light and two boxes of salt for one of my old rimless tanks. Specifically a DOOA H23. Since he was no longer into the saltwater side of the hobby, it was a great deal for both of us.

The light would probably work as is, but I wanted a better spectrum for this tank. I will not be using much in the way of blues to grow the seagrass and instead need a more natural color. So I contacted SBreef Lights and asked them to make a freshwater spectrum retrofit board for the tank which they did and shipped out from hong kong a couple of days ago. Not sure about an ETA but I would guess anywhere from a few weeks to a month or so.

Since I already would be opening the light to swap out the board, I also purchased two much quieter fans that I will install at the same time.

For hardscape I am going to be using rocks I found locally and rescued from the wild. These are not rocks I pulled from the ocean, but rather ones I pulled from a friend's stream in his backyard. I use these types of rocks in my freshwater tanks all the time. I believe (but am not sure) that they are granite. It seems most saltwater tanks use either real or artificial reef rocks because they want something porous for bacterial surface area. I am going to have a very deep sand bed in this tank, so I definitely don't need more porosity in my rocks.

I also purchased a nice piece of malaysian driftwood the last time my local fish store had some in stock. In order to get out as many tannins as possible before submersing, I went ahead and boiled as much of it as could fit in my largest pot.

UWZZOsI.jpg

It might not look like it, but that pot is actually pretty big. Specifically its 15 quarts (3.75 gallons) and when I'm not using it boil bits of wood, I use it to brew beer.

To protect the glass from the rocks I was about to use, I first put down some eggcrate (light diffuser) to disperse the weight of the rocks. I then forgot to take a picture of it and put in some sand. The Wife's new cat (the one I traded favors for to get this tank) took an interest in what I was doing.

8e6yRwJ.jpg

YdlYomY.jpg

It was about this point that it dawned on me that sitting back idly taking pictures of a cat in a box of sand...... was not something I should be doing.

DXpGn7v.jpg

Fortunately I was able to get him out of there before the obvious happened.

After that I began putting together a scape. After moving rocks around I came up with this:

rvd9jdx.jpg

This scape has most of the rock towards the front-middle with a big space in the back. This should allow me a lot of room for the seagrass in the back where the sand bed will be deepest. At this point all the sand in the tank is HTH brand pool filter sand. To fill out the sand I also added a bag of aragonite sand the same grain size as the pool filter sand. Then I topped it with another half bag of the pool filter sand. Here is how it looked:

dwPEDRJ.jpg

UUBGjST.jpg

YQcAVXc.jpg

And that brings me up to current. Right now I am making water, and will mix up my first ever batch of saltwater once done. After that I can introduce ammonia and start the cycle.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even though you have a deep sand bed. Most of the bacteria lives inside the rock. I would ensure your sump has some live rock or some marine pure blocks. Great looking scape, i just worry about the wood and rock contamination in a salt water tank...

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting scape. Definitely is more freshwater with both the look and scaping materials (including the HTH sand! That's in all my non-BB FW tanks). Will be very unique, and so I'm guessing you'll run into unique but not unsolvable challenges. I don't know exactly how much surface area you'll need for the bacteria, but you can figure something out I'm sure. You'll know once you try cycling it.

Following along! Looking forward to seeing it with some life inside.

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even though you have a deep sand bed. Most of the bacteria lives inside the rock. I would ensure your sump has some live rock or some marine pure blocks. Great looking scape, i just worry about the wood and rock contamination in a salt water tank...

I've run several freshwater tanks with surface area for bacteria only available inside the tank. Obviously no 'reef' rocks in those setups, same or similar materials as here. Its actually not uncommon to do this as 'no filter' tanks in freshwater. So far no problems getting ammonia and nitrite to zero. This is my first saltwater tank so maybe its different, but I suspect its not. Either way I will know pretty quickly whether it works. If the tank cycles, then I have enough surface area in there as is. If it doesn't, then I will know I need something in the sump to make it work.

I am not sure what mean about 'contamination' from the rock and wood. The rock is inert. I've had this type of rock in a number of freshwater tanks including with sensitive critters like amphibians and fry with no issues and no change in water chemistry. The wood is just wood, and certainly there is a lot of wood in the ocean with stuff growing all over it. While there are VERY few people that have put driftwood into a saltwater tank near as I could find, I did find some people that have done it before and it seems like they did not run into any problems. I'll keep an eye on it of course, but I am not anticipating any issues there.
Very interesting scape. Definitely is more freshwater with both the look and scaping materials (including the HTH sand! That's in all my non-BB FW tanks). Will be very unique, and so I'm guessing you'll run into unique but not unsolvable challenges. I don't know exactly how much surface area you'll need for the bacteria, but you can figure something out I'm sure. You'll know once you try cycling it.

Following along! Looking forward to seeing it with some life inside.

Thank you! Yeah, I am very much treating this tank as a freshwater tank that happens to have saltwater. Its definitely going to be a bit of a ride ;P

I have no idea if its going to work the way I am envisioning it, but I am hopeful and I'll have a while to get used to things as I cycle it and then add some clean up crew.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, when I first saw this thread I knew I recognized your name, then after opening the thread realized it was from plantedtank.net!

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, when I first saw this thread I knew I recognized your name, then after opening the thread realized it was from plantedtank.net!

That's me ;P

I have found boiling wood to be pretty important in killing fungus that naturally occurs on the wood. It honestly looks like he got a double dose of that stuff, and or, his algae was so bad that it started to eat the carbonate out of the water which could have caused his ph issues as well. That he was using water from a red tide probably did him no favors as well. Hopefully mine won't look that bad....... but.. you know.. we shall see ;P

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving this build so far, there are a lot of fresh ideas and I wouldn’t be surprised if you do well with the co2, seagrass produces a lot of oxygen in some cases you can actually see oxygen bubbles coming from the plant, they will need more available co2 than a conventional reef that doesn’t have anything that utilise co2. Will be also interested to see how the wood reacts in a saltwater environment.
You got great skills, wouldn’t call that diy

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

For a while now I knew that I would be using a 165w viparspectar light for this tank. I know someone who got out of the reef keeping hobby a while back and had this light left over from that time. I traded him a small rimless tank I was no longer using for the light and 2 boxes of instant ocean salt. It was a good deal for both of us.

While the light will provide enough raw power to grow the grass (assuming they can be grown with 250 ppfd at substrate), the colors are not great for my purposes. I am growing plants, not corals. So the blues are not only less important to me then for a reef tank, but potentially problematic if there is not a broad enough spectrum. With that in mind I contacted SB Reef Lights and asked if they would make me a retrofit board for the viparspectar in their freshwater spectrum. They were pretty quick to email me back that they could and a few days later they shipped it out direct from hong kong. Less then 2 weeks passed before it was at my door.

Since I was going to be opening the light anyway I decided to replace the fans while I was at it. The existing fans are ok, but not great. So I bought 2 very quiet 80mm computer fans to be installed at the same time.

So that I could make some comparisons between the light both pre and post modification I downloaded a decibel meter app for my phone. I know that this is not an accurate way of determining true decibel level, but I just wanted something I could use as a comparison to see if what I was trying to do (make the light quieter) was really working.

With the light off I put my phone on the light itself and took a reading. The app indicated the ambient noise level was about 40 decibels.

With the light on and both channels at 100% the app detected 55 decibels.

While I was at it I also took out my Apoggee SQ-420 par meter. With both channels at 100% I detected 1600 ppfd at the water's surface (about 9 inches directly under the light).

At 23 inches below the light in the center back of the tank, I detected 250 ppfd. In each of the back corners I got around 100 to 120 par, and it was essentially a gradient down to each of these the further you got off of center line.

In the center front of the tank I read 150 ppfd and each of the front corners was around 80 to 100 ppfd.

Here is how the tank looked before I did anything to the light:

Ek9en7t.jpg

With that done it was time to modify the light. I undid the screws on the outside of the light and disconnected the light board. I removed the silicone edging on the light board for reuse. Here is how it looked:

7TTdNw3.jpg

Then I cut the connectors on the existing light board and the fans; leaving myself enough wire to work with. I then soldered those connectors onto my new light board and fans. I discarded the old fans and installed the new ones and the new light board. Here is how it looked:

rGIyn5e.jpg

I then sealed it all back up and turned it on. Worked the first time, huzzah!

I used the decibel meter app and took another reading. With both channels on at 100% the app detected 50 decibels. That may not sound like much of a difference but apparently a 5 decibel increase is a 5 fold increase in sound pressure.... or something like that. Honestly not a sound guy soooo /shrug. What I can say is that when I turned it on for the first time while standing 6 feet back I wasn't sure if the fans were working or not. It wasn't until I got closer that I could even hear them. So it was noticeably different and to my mind, worth the upgrade.

Switching gears to talk about the actual light, the retrofit board uses a mix of 120 degree and 90 degree lenses on the LEDs so the light is a bit more dispersed then the original board.

At the water's surface my par meter detected 1200ppfd. Center back of the tank was 270 ppfd, an increase of 20 over the previous light. The corners were slightly less intense however ranging between 70 and 150 in the back and 60 and 100 in the front.

Overall I am quite pleased with the change as the colors are definitely improved over the previous version. Here is how the tank looks with both channels at 100%.

aIWvBxh.jpg

CPZslmz.jpg

The water is a bit cloudy in these pictures because 1) its a new tank/substrate and 2) I just dumped 32oz of Fritz Zyme 9 into it to help with the cycle.

Meanwhile I ordered 6 bunches of manatee grass from Tropical Fish Plus (which was all they had at the time) and it should be arriving tomorrow. So with any luck my next update will actually have some plants in this planted tank :D

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really cool build. Looking forward to the progress.
Thank you! I am having a lot of fun with it.
you can check out creatures of the lagoon on paramount+ if you wanna see the biotope those seahorse live in
Awesome!! I am definitely going to do that once I sign up for paramount+ again. I basically only keep a subscription active while Star Trek: Lower Decks is on. Their new season is starting soon so its almost time :).

You are building a unique setup. I have alway have macro in my seahorse tanks. Never sea grass or driftwood. I will be following this.

Thank you! There seems to be a lot of trepidation with adding wood to a tank but coming from a freshwater background it just seemed such a natural thing to do. We shall see how it turns out ;).

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

The grass is here!

I originally ordered every bit of grass I could from Tropical Fish Plus because I didn't know how much would be included with each order. I needn't have worried, the amount that showed up was quite generous.

zpgStIO.jpg

This is about 5 times more then I thought would be present.

First order of business was getting it out of the bag and that water which was quite stinky by this point.

I discarded the water and dumped everything into a bucket of fresh saltwater.

POU450z.jpg

I then set about preparing the plants. The growth habit of manatee grass is to form a strong runner off of which new shoots come off and breach the sand for each blade of grass. It looks a bit like this:

LcosIdR.jpg

Planting something like that is a real pain however so I cut the runners to separate each individual plant so it looked like this:

7vlV9aE.jpg

I then went through all the plants and did this to everything that needed separating which was the majority of the plant mass. When done I had a good pile:

cjLLePz.jpg

Using long handled tweezers I planted all the grass. Most of it was in the back with a couple of plants in the front and along the sides as an experiment since everyone says they need 250 ppfd of light 6+ inches of substrate neither of which is available in the front or the sides.

6TqSLrl.jpg

TP744mc.jpg

pgZDKOE.jpg

s7qNQoA.jpg

Since the grass was in, it was time to start fertilizing the water. I mixed up a batch of micro and macro fertilizers according to the pps-pro method and installed them into my doser. To start with I will be administering 2ml a day of each which is bout half of what is normally called for.

imrMhdt.jpg

I also hooked up my co2 to my reactor and that really brings me up to current. I still need to add in the red mangrove but otherwise the only thing left for now is to cycle the tank. Currently its converting about 1ppm of ammonia in a 24 hour period. So its still got a little bit to go.

I am really excited to get some hermit crabs in this tank which I just can't keep in any of my freshwater tanks of course. I am also seriously considering getting a lettuce nudibranch. I know some people struggle to keep them alive, but I think a planted saltwater tank might be a good fit for them.

A Fish Called Wanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello folks!

This is going to be a bit different from most of the saltwater tanks on here and elsewhere because when I say it's a planted tank, I do not mean macro algae. This will be a true planted tank with Manatee Grass (Syringodium filiforme), Shoal Grass (Halodule wrightii), and Red Mangroves (Rhizophora mangle). The livestock will be a pair of seahorses (Hippocampus erectus) plus a pretty extensive clean up crew.

I have been waiting on doing this thread until I got my tank situation resolved. Originally I planned to literally make the tank myself. And in fact I did just that. The results however are horrific ;P I thought I could do a good job with the silicone but... not so much. So yesterday I ordered the tank from Glass Cages. The tank will be rimless and 24"x18"x24"H with black silicone. I went with Glass Cages mostly because of all the positive recent reviews with their changes in quality control and customer service. So with the tank situation sorted it was time to start this build journal.

As a bit about me, I have decades of experience with freshwater tanks but zero experience with saltwater. So this whole thing will be an adventure for me. I have always admired saltwater tanks but the idea of actually taking care of the corals has not (and still does not) appeal to me. Freshwater planted tanks on the other hand have been a passion of mine for the last few years.

So when I was at the Baltimore Aquarium last year and saw an exhibit consisting of seahorses with live seagrass, I was completely entranced. I took a few pictures, but you can't really see the seagrass other then a field of green in the background:

3GmAixn.jpg

LwFtSZ6.jpg

The exhibit really stuck in my mind, and after some research, I decided I wanted to replicate the idea, but make it even better.

First thing to consider was placement. I wanted the tank to go into my office next to my Freshwater High Tech Newt Tank. This is why the Seahorse tank has the 24x18x24 dimensions. I wanted it to match the footprint of the Newt Tank but with more vertical space for the Seahorses (since they are apparently one of those weird fish that actually prefer vertical space over horizontal). The Newt Tank is sitting on a 40 gallon petco metal stand that I heavily modified. In order for the Seahorse tank to match I needed to replicate the stand.

After purchasing the stand and assembly, I drilled and tapped holes in the bottom of the stand and used grade 8 bolts and steel brackets to attach steel C channel to run the width of the stand. This will be the support for a shelf that will hold the sump. I also attached plywood to the sides for both aesthetic and subsequent plumbing attachment purposes. The door I made is held on with magnets so its pretty easy to remove.

wsaUxqh.jpg

NMvdxC3.jpg

The stand is designed for a rimmed 40 breeder to sit directly on top. But the Seahorse tank, like the Newt Tank, is a rimless tank and has a smaller footprint. So I needed to make a top for it.

For the Newt Tank I made a poured concrete top, and that's what I did for the Seahorse tank as well. First thing to do was make the form out of 3/4 melamine.

RbzfnyI.jpg

Then I mixed up a batch of Rapidset Mortar Mix, added some color, and poured it.

i7XswKw.jpg

Somewhere along the way my maths were all messed up. I thought 3/4 of a bag of mortar would be enough for the whole thing but it was a bit short. So I needed to very quickly mix up another partial bag and pour that as well (the stuff sets up in like 20 minutes). In my rush I did not mix in enough coloring agent so the result was a very ugly top ;P I decided to fix the issue by painting it.

cs5Hd00.jpg

And here is the whole stand next to the Newt Tank.

G81hc5H.jpg

As far as the rest of the equipment plan. Well I have ordered a LOT of stuff and its trickling in now:

kfe44UX.jpg

The plan for the filtration will be a diy sump which will just be a regular Aqueon 20H. It will have a roller filter (hopefully the new Red Sea ReefMat when it is released) and 2 return pumps. One return pump will go directly to the tank. The other will have a bypass which will include a CO2 Reactor (for all the plants) and a 15w Aqua Ultraviolet UV Sterilizer. I'll have a ball valve on the bypass and the main line to control flow through the reactor/uv.

When I get the tank from Glass Cages I will drill it for use with a 1200 g/h Modular Marine overflow as well as two 3/4" returns. The overflow will have bean animal style plumbing. For the returns I purchased a pair of random flow generators.

In order to light the tank I will be building a bracket on the wall that will overhang the tank out of 3/8" galvanized steel pipe. The light itself will be a used Viparspectra I will be buying from an acquaintance.

The ATO will be a 5 gallon plastic jerry can (I am going to have space issues) and a gravity fed float valve installed with an over the rim hanging bracket.

Another weird thing about this tank, I am going to be dosing fertilizer. The plants need a good mix of macro and micro nutrients to stay healthy. Most historical threads I have found using seagrass have solved this issue through fish poop, deep sand beds, and sometimes mud. The freshwater community used to solve their plant food issues this way as well. But more modern methods in freshwater has led to the formulation of fertilizers which have proved more successful and significantly cleaner. I am going to be dosing those fertilizers here. Specifically I will be using Nicolg Thrive dry salts and dosed according to the PPS-PRO method. My dosing bottles are Voss Water Bottles. I found that bike water bottle holders will hold these Voss bottles really well and will be using a pair to hold the dosing bottles on the side of the stand. The doser is a Jebao 3.4 WIFI Doser. I have this model doser on a freshwater tank and have found it to do a great job. The only problem is the wifi setup is truly atrocious. I had to create (and still keep) a guest 2.4ghz wifi in my house named.. WIFI, just to make it work. It's pretty annoying but once it was setup, its run without issue for more then 2 years now.

For heating... nothing. Seahorses apparently do better in the cold. Ideal temperature range is 68 to 72 degrees F. The room they are in runs in that same range year round. If anything I will be worried about my 2 dc pumps heating the water too much. If I can't keep it under 72 I will install a small fan over the sump to turn on when the temperature gets too hot. I use a small fan over the newt tank currently and let it run 24/7. It reduces the newt tank temperature to the mid 60s year round.

For water, I originally was going to just use tap water. But after a lot of thinking, and a bit of research, I decided to bite the bullet and get a RODI system. I bought the 5 stage water saver on BRS. I am on the Baltimore water system despite being 30 minutes outside of the city, and my water is surface water from a reservoir. My water is relatively soft with a TDS of 80-120 but its constantly changing with the seasons. So I figured better to be safe and just get a RODI.

My storage tanks are two 32 gallon BRUTE trash cans on wheels. I actually think my RODI is coming today so I'll take pictures of the setup once I get it installed.

And... I think that brings this up to current. I am pretty excited about this build and looking forward to learning more about saltwater as I go. I won't be rushing to add the seahorses either. After I get the tank up and running I will bring in the clean-up crew and get the hang of saltwater for a bit. After a few months of running the tank nice and stable, then I will bring in the seahorses.
Looks great

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great
Thank you!

Small Update:

I added the red mangrove. I've had these plants for a year now; originally purchased for a terrestrial hermit crab setup. I had to take them out when the hermits started to eat them. I've been keeping them in a flower pot in a windowsill since then. The one with no leaves is still looking good in the stem and roots despite not having had leaves for months now soooo... /shrug I will give it a chance in here.

They are all just wedged into place right now. Hopefully their roots will grow into the wood and that will be all that's needed. If they end up getting dislodged I will need to find other means of keeping them in the tank.

I also added some smaller detail stones to the scape. I think they really help the aesthetics of the existing rockwork.

dE0ZVti.jpg

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I have never seen a water bottle cage used for those Voss bottles before. Very clever and clean. I may need to steal that idea.

OP
OP
minorhero

minorhero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. I have never seen the water bottle cage used for those Voss bottles before. Very clever and clean. I may need to steal that idea.

Thank you!

I was originally looking at 3d printed holders but was struggling with spending 20-30 dollars per bottle for what I knew was not a big piece. While searching on amazon for voss bottle holders I pinged a result for bike bottle holders. I figured I'd give it a go and so glad I did. Its really worked out. I think any of the smaller bike bottle holders would work, but for what it's worth these are the ones I am using.

A Fish Called Wanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Small Update:

I added the red mangrove. I've had these plants for a year now; originally purchased for a terrestrial hermit crab setup. I had to take them out when the hermits started to eat them. I've been keeping them in a flower pot in a windowsill since then. The one with no leaves is still looking good in the stem and roots despite not having had leaves for months now soooo... /shrug I will give it a chance in here.

They are all just wedged into place right now. Hopefully their roots will grow into the wood and that will be all that's needed. If they end up getting dislodged I will need to find other means of keeping them in the tank.

I also added some smaller detail stones to the scape. I think they really help the aesthetics of the existing rockwork.

dE0ZVti.jpg
Nice aqua scape and very different

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back