Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Granular Activated Carbonwhat is GAC
Hello guys, I have a question, is there any evidence that GAC absorbs trace elements important to the reef?
Randy, been fighting what I believe is allelopathic compounds / coral war fair in our system or over a 1/2 a year now, mostly sps/some sps and softies. Which carbon do you use and how much would you reocommend for a 250g mixed reef?Yes it does, but the amounts are relatively small when the data from the experiments is scaled to the amount that would be used in a reef tank.
I would not use this as a reason to not use GAC because the pros outweigh the cons. The consumption of trace elements by the GAC will just become part of the overall consumption.
Here is an experiment, but realize the amount of GAC used was huge relative to reef tank use to be able to detect the effects.
https://en.oceamo.com/reaktormedien2/
Randy, been fighting what I believe is allelopathic compounds / coral war fair in our system or over a 1/2 a year now, mostly sps/some sps and softies. Which carbon do you use and how much would you reocommend for a 250g mixed reef?
Thanks Randy. So far running for 2 days 1 1/2 cups. WOW is the water clean. Was thinking I should lower the intensity of the leds but left them alone. Some corals like it and some seem irritated, will let it run its course. Also removed a split (thought it was coming back to life) toadstool leather last night. Was thinking this was the main culprit. Haven’t had any sps day time polpy extension for months, was similar time the toadstool stop opening. Would be crazy if there is coral warfare going on in our mixed reef.Randy, been fighting what I believe is allelopathic compounds / coral war fair in our system or over a 1/2 a year now, mostly sps/some sps and softies. Which carbon do you use and how much would you reocommend for a 250g mixed reef?
I use and like ROX 0.8. Its a high quality carbon used for food purposes.
If you think you are seeing issues, running 2 cups is not too much, IMO.