the active carbon debate

Weyou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really wondering and debating whether to start using activated carbon in my aquarium. Until now I have never used active carbon but I did not really have a lot of corals but I want to hold mostly lps corals and soft corals with no sps at all. Really afraid that something will go wrong if I start using activated carbon My filtration system is based on quality rocks and quality skimmer and also water replacements with quality salt but recently want to lower the dose of water replacements. Of course I add all for reef and np bacto balance and that's it.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really wondering and debating whether to start using activated carbon in my aquarium. Until now I have never used active carbon but I did not really have a lot of corals but I want to hold mostly lps corals and soft corals with no sps at all. Really afraid that something will go wrong if I start using activated carbon My filtration system is based on quality rocks and quality skimmer and also water replacements with quality salt but recently want to lower the dose of water replacements. Of course I add all for reef and np bacto balance and that's it.
I use GAC to remove organics that yellow the water of my fish and invert tank. I change it every 3 months because the flow through the reactor slows because of the bacteria growing on the carbon. If the level of yellow color of your water meets your expectation, don’t use GAC.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no need to use carbon, but nothing bad will come of it. Why do you think it will have an effect on corals? It should have no effect whatsoever if you follow the instructions.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2cents...

I used to use activated carbon as part of my regular filtration with a 6 week replacement cycle for my previous tanks and current tank.

I read a ton of varying info of the actual absorbtion lifespan of activated carbon and concluded that many of its properties are probably used up pretty quickly.

In the last year or so, I only use it for a week if I need to deal with a problem such as toxins or pollutants that may have gotten into the water or to get my water clearer...as it can yellow slightly over time.

I can honestly say that I've noticed no difference in any parameters having removed activated carbon from my now almost 2 year mature tank.

I'm guessing that younger tanks may benefit more from activated carbon...

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never run a tank without activated carbon.

- Your lights are more efficient from the reduction in yellowing
- it removes some organics before they have a chance to break down.
- it removes toxic heavy metals and limits your chance of a crash from a failed magnet casing or something
- it reduces the potency of coral chemical warfare, which increases growth rates of corals that would otherwise be suppressed (ex leathers suppress other coral growth without carbon to remove toxin).

The only cons really are if you go really heavy after never using it, you can get tip burn from the increased par on your corals for a day or two. If you have tangs, unwashed or underwashed carbon is correlated with HLLE (proper washing or sediment filter solves this).

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran GAC 24/7 and think it’s a good plan for limiting organics such as toxins and yellowing compounds.

There is some evidence that GAC may only be effective for about a week to 10 days...so while effective may require frequent change.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is some evidence that GAC may only be effective for about a week to 10 days...so while effective may require frequent change.

I replaced mine by swapping out about half of it every couple of weeks or so.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mix the new in with the old or do some sort of a FIFO setup?

Mixed together. I think it served as a bed for bacteria growing from vinegar dosing, and the old GAC seeded the new.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always run Rox in a reactor, no a ton - maybe 1/2 cup for a 70g and replace it weekly with the standard tank maintenance

carbon isn’t going to hurt anything, would only improve. I’d stay away from bituminous carbon because of the dust and mess

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never run a tank without activated carbon.

- Your lights are more efficient from the reduction in yellowing
- it removes some organics before they have a chance to break down.
- it removes toxic heavy metals and limits your chance of a crash from a failed magnet casing or something
- it reduces the potency of coral chemical warfare, which increases growth rates of corals that would otherwise be suppressed (ex leathers suppress other coral growth without carbon to remove toxin).

The only cons really are if you go really heavy after never using it, you can get tip burn from the increased par on your corals for a day or two. If you have tangs, unwashed or underwashed carbon is correlated with HLLE (proper washing or sediment filter solves this).
This. I see a noticeable allelopathic effect difference (even in anemones) if I don’t, as well as yellowing reduction. I change it every week.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only downside to gac I've ever really heard of was it may contribute to HLLE in tangs. that being said, I've been running it in my system for the past 7 years and haven't had that or any other issues.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use it passively. I have two filter bags that sit in the sump where the water overflows into the return area. I alternate replacing them but don't replace them often. I think the bags get coated with organics and do little good eventually so I do rinse each one occasionally... but not as much as I should.

Back