The Angel Lovers Thread

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of flames, a coral beauty and a flameback in a 240. I added the flameback 1st then the other 3 together.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of flames, a coral beauty and a flameback in a 240. I added the flameback 1st then the other 3 together.

red sea reefer 250 is a system with 65 gallon total. Just to be clear it is not a 250 gallon system. I noticed that yours is 240 gallon.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angel pics! Thanks

8E317652-0E28-4390-A9B0-125E4B011D2B.jpeg 8AA0B58C-BF45-44CD-B9A2-C9CA6F471749.jpeg 3A5D7A2B-6707-4811-B1D8-423EAD6E85F5.jpeg 74C1C9FB-D9C4-4983-96E8-FAA0EE6FCD7B.jpeg E9B9A1F6-D013-4D8E-8521-E4DC06C55D2D.jpeg

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to keep 3 dwarf angels specifically flame, porter, and pygmy in 65 gallons Red Sea Reefer 250?

In addition, my stock plan is 2 clowns, lawnmower blenny, 3 pj cardinals, carpenter wrasse.

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see why that combo wouldnt work. I'd try to make sure there is a slight difference in size between potters and flame.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see why that combo wouldnt work. I'd try to make sure there is a slight difference in size between potters and flame.

so the potters and flame will need to be almost the same size and the cherub Pygmy can be in any size?

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will establish some kind of hierarchy amongst themselves. You can "help" the hierarchy by differing their sizes. When adding fish of similar shape and genus I always try to make sure the fish are not the same size to try and get bullying and chasing down to a minimum. The pygmy should not be the issue here, the issue would be between the flame and potters. Being introduced at the same time wouldn't allow one or the other to get established in your tank. Getting one smaller than the other should allow one to be "dominant". I should add that I tend to push the envelope with pairing and keeping similar fish together.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to keep 3 dwarf angels specifically flame, porter, and pygmy in 65 gallons Red Sea Reefer 250?

In addition, my stock plan is 2 clowns, lawnmower blenny, 3 pj cardinals, carpenter wrasse.
Thats a lot of dwarf angels in a small tank. General I hear the minimum recommended to even attempt 2 different dwarfs is a 75 gal. Even that feels too small to me. it is really dependent on the attitude of the angels in question, I have seen two dwarfs take issue with each-other in large tanks 300gal+ but I have heard, from aquarists I would consider extremely competent, of 6 being fine in tanks as small as 120gal. General practice recommends them to be added simultaneously. I would make sure you are 100% ready to tear the tank apart to get one or two of those angels out before attempting. If you are willing to do that then could okay to try. Introduce simultaneously, I would try to keep close in size but with distinct differences in size.

Last edited:

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a lot of dwarf angels in a small tank. General I hear the minimum recommended to even attempt 2 different dwarfs is a 75 gal. Even that feels too small to me. it is really dependent on the attitude of the angels in question, I have seen two dwarfs take issue with each-other in large tanks 300gal+ but I have heard, from aquarists I would consider extremely competent, of 6 being fine in tanks as small as 120gal. General practice recommends them to be added simultaneously. I would make sure you are 100% ready to tear the tank apart to get one or two of those angels out before attempting. If you are willing to do that then could okay to try. Introduce simultaneously, I would try to keep close in size but with distinct differences in size.
I see. Maybe just two then? From the three options which two are the most reef compatible?

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393422036.963412.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393422070.694715.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393422093.394633.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393422129.511273.jpg

These are few from my fish only angelfish tank. 225 gallon

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393422036.963412.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393422070.694715.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393422093.394633.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393422129.511273.jpg

Wow Carlitosway84! Amazing. Can I please see a full tank shot and a picture of the filtration system? What are you using for biological filtration. Also is the white coral real coral skeletons or plastic?
Thank you

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That is too small of a tank for three species of angles. You may just wan to keep one or a pair. I keep a pair of Flame angel in my office 65 gal tank. They were spawning, but the tank is a little too tight for them. I took them home to my 320 and they acts a lot more natural. I think 3 species in a 65 gal will result in fighting.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is too small of a tank for three species of angles. You may just wan to keep one or a pair. I keep a pair of Flame angel in my office 65 gal tank. They were spawning, but the tank is a little too tight for them. I took them home to my 320 and they acts a lot more natural. I think 3 species in a 65 gal will result in fighting.

Out of Flame, Pygmy, and potter, which the two are better option for reef tank?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of Flame, Pygmy, and potter, which the two are better option for reef tank?
I like Flame Angels and have always keep them, I keep Pygmy and Potter in the past, but not anywhere near the experiences I have with Flame. If you asking about coral picking, they are likely to be the same. In large tank like my my angel have never kill a coral or a clam, but they do pick sometime. They are never hungry, which likely help a lot to keep them from excessive picking.
In a small tank like yours, I think Pygmy would be better becasue they are smaller. Potter is much larger.
When spawning, the male swim these circular path, displaying all his fins and dipped down then up. In a 65 gal tank, they will run into corals and wall that keep him really restricted. That was why I did not like to leave my Flame pair in my 65 gal. This may not mater to you.
Pygmy seem, IME, to be a tad more aggressive than Flame and Potter. In small area, angels can be down right mean.
In my office 65 gal tank, when I have them in there, my terminal male Bluethroat Fairy, one of the more aggressive fairy wrasse, regularly tangle with my male Flame angel. No problem when I move them both to my 320 DT.
Here is a picture of them tangle with each other, all display and sparing.
sailfinfw2018041801-jpg.745847

Last edited:

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Flame Angels and have always keep them, I keep Pygmy and Potter in the pass, but not anywhere near the experiences I have with Flame. If you asking about coral picking, they are likely to be the same. In large tank like my my angel have never kill a coral or a clam, but they do pick sometime. They are never hungry, which likely help a lot to keep them from excessive picking.
In a small tank like yours, I think Pygmy would be better becasue they are smaller. Potter is much larger.
When spawning, the male swim these circular path, displaying all his fins and dipped down then up. In a 65 gal tank, they will run into corals and wall that keep him really restricted. That was why I did not like to leave my Flame pair in my 65 gal. This may not mater to you.
Pygmy seem, IME, to be a tad more aggressive than Flame and Potter. In small area, angels can be down right mean.
In my office 65 gal tank, when I have them in there, my terminal male Bluethroat Fairy, one of the more aggressive fairy wrasse, regularly tangle with my male Flame angel. No problem when I move them both to my 320 DT.
Here is a picture of them tangle with each other, all display and sparing.
sailfinfw2018041801-jpg.745847

Beautiful fish! :)

so if I want to keep pygmy and flame, I should add them both at the same time and only added them last on my stock list? I read this somewhere in forum.

And if I want to add corals, I should add them much later down the road after I add the angels into the tank? Again, I read this on forum.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem you will have is when you have two male angels in a small area. i would add them either at the same time, or the second angle need to be slightly larger than the first. It is likely, almost certain, that one male angle will suppress the second one from changing sex. Since your tank will be small, I would look for the smallest angels that you can get. Let them grow and mature in your tank and they will work out their hierarchy. Even if you get them small, they likely mature in 6 months and one male will emerge.
I added two 1 inch Flame to my tank and 6 months later I have a pair. When I remove them after about 6 months in a 65 gal, the male was only 1.5 inches, but male he was, and they were spawning.
I have a picture of both of them somewhere but not able to come up with it right now.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem you will have is when you have two male angels in a small area. i would add them either at the same time, or the second angle need to be slightly larger than the first. It is likely, almost certain, that one male angle will suppress the second one from changing sex. Since your tank will be small, I would look for the smallest angels that you can get. Let them grow and mature in your tank and they will work out their hierarchy. Even if you get them small, they likely mature in 6 months and one male will emerge.
I added two 1 inch Flame to my tank and 6 months later I have a pair. When I remove them after about 6 months in a 65 gal, the male was only 1.5 inches, but male he was, and they were spawning.
I have a picture of both of them somewhere but not able to come up with it right now.

so if I can find very small pygmy and flame, OR one is bigger than the other, one will establish dominant and become a male. They will be a pair and possibly spawning even though they are not the same kind?

Also in regards to my previous questions:
only added them last on my fish stock list?
if I want to add corals, I should add them much later down the road after I add the angels into the tank?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also in regards to my previous questions:
only added them last on my fish stock list?
if I want to add corals, I should add them much later down the road after I add the angels into the tank?
they are moderately aggressive so can do well as later additions.
and No the opposite, if you want to add corals you should add corals and have them established and grown out before adding the dwarf angels. Macna Talk on the topic

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back