The Angel Lovers Thread

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Hawaii but processed through Hawaii or somewhere in the US. The Multicolor angels they have are from the Central Pacific. Their Flames are also processed through the US but most likely from the Central or South Pacific, I believe.

Are fish from those regions safer and healthier than ones from Southeast Asia?
Ah right sorry i misread that, and yes most likely will be healthier

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Regal angels. Quick iPhone pictures.
20E1D657-186F-48A1-91A0-5C3861CA08FF.jpeg
5DEBD8D0-157F-47F8-9A36-57622E8C7D73.jpeg
F17F8EFD-0C17-4885-8866-49D2F6D0FF77.jpeg
9DDFC6C0-8247-47FC-8282-E1965760E9A8.jpeg

joseph scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would
I have heard, have do direct knowledge of the situation, that there are very few Flame Angels actually from Hawaii. The angels are caught elsewhere and shipped though Hawaii.
Many people put a premium on Hawaii Flame angels, Mine were from Christmas Island. I certainly love mine. I cannot see how Hawaii Flame would be any better than mine. I won't bore you with more pictures of my Angels. :)
For any dwarf angels, get two or three small ones and you will be fine in your tank, given a reasonable amount of rock and aquascape.
like to thank you OrionN for giving me the courage to try a trio of flame angelfish in my 150 gallon reef tank. I put three two inch females into the tank one week ago, so far they are doing well, and I enjoy watching them in the tank. Their tank mate are: yellow tang,one spot foxface, spotbreast angelfish,melanurus wrasse, longnose hawkfish pair, four yellowtail damselfish,canary blenny, Valentino pufferfish, and a maroon clownfish. So far from my observation the flames are much better at eating nuisance algae off the rocks than my foxface, or yellow tang!

mandarin417

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way to introduce juvenile Asfur angel with other established juvenile angels?

Right now I have 3 fish in the main tank that are all around 3-3.5”.

Juvenile Regal
Juvenile Scribbled
Tomini Tang

The gang of 3 get along well after 4+ months in the tank. Early sparring stopped 45 days ago.

I have a 1.75 “ juvenile Asfur angel ready to come out of observation QT and to jump into the main tank. The tank is a bit over 120 gallons with a lot of rock and invasive soft corals. Bigger tank coming in the next 6 months since these angels will grow out of this tank pretty quickly.

My experience with tangs is that they always bully new comers so I will probably isolate it in an acclimation box for a few weeks.

Dropping the smaller Asfur in after the lights go out would probably still result in a lot of beating up by the other angels. Acclimation boxes start growing algae blurring the view so I don’t think putting the Asfur in one will keep it visible enough in the long run for the other angels to be accepting.

Maybe I should catch the 2 angels, put them in my QT tank, see how they get along with the smaller Asfur, forget about their old home nooks and crannies, bond and then put them back in the main tank. Or I could flip tanks and put the smaller one in the display tank, put the gang of 3 in the QT and then bring them all together in a few weeks. What do you think?

My QT is an Ikea brand white tub, with around 12 gallons of water in it, some live rock, some PVC hiding tunnels, an ATO, an overkill protein skimmer that I have on hand for another startup tank, 2 heaters, a couple of small circulation pumps lit with a screw-in LED lamp. I change out a gallon of water a day and choose not to medicate unless something develops.

I start out new fish in the QT at the same salinity as their source and over time, change out the QT water with the display tank water for acclimation during the QT period. I also fashioned a makeshift filter on the intake of the skimmer so no fish drift in when sleepy and get sucked to death. It happened once. I also put a light diffuser grid on top of most of the QT since I have had a beautiful fish jump out during the last night of a 90 day QT period and dry up. Oh, and I have redundant heater controls and temp probes with loud alarms. I cooked a pair of juvenile angels last year when my temp probe fell out. The probes on this tank are secured with drip line holders and very secure. Finally, I have a power off alarm on the electrical strip for the tank. I have tried to be as fail-safe as possible as a result of bad past decisions. I hate losing fish for any reason especially when I am at fault.

Love to hear your recommendations on the introduction.

Bob

bdeignan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of Scribbled angels. Going on 2 years!! Thanks

7ED9A9E4-8E48-4A19-BC93-3DAAEC8C8390.jpeg 1B4F7CC9-8C68-4EE0-9497-63380BD5C4C2.jpeg ED5C59B7-3081-4275-9E05-9DA5D64E5352.jpeg
That's a great looking set up! I'm relatively new to saltwater aquariums and have had my 75g FOWLR up for about 4 and a half months now. I just got a bicolor dwarf angel and am looking for thoughts on adding a flame angel. Would like to wait a month or so, but seeing as how you have multiple angels in your tank, how'd you do it and do you have any advice? Also, is a 75g too small for multiple angels? I do a 15% PWC every week, but I don't know if more angels would need more water changed or just a bigger tank... Thanks!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling all Centropyge angel keepers: You all participate in this thread please.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried French angelfish, Queen or adult blue face angelfish in a reef? If so, how’d they do with euphyllia and SPS?

thanks!!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lunare who is so fun to watch just can't seem to help himself.
Is there any going back to harmony?
@evolved
Unfortunately, no. Thalassoma's do not make great additions for a reef tank, especially lunare.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys are from Live Aquaria, non DD. A friend of my Alton acclimated them and then got them to me. They have been under captivity for 2 years.

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, no. Thalassoma's do not make great additions for a reef tank, especially lunare.
I am keeping him...he managed to get thru the crating so I just took it out...so far he is behaving again since his time out..no more wrasses tho (sad face) I don't want him to bite anyone and I'm sure a new wrasse would be a victim. We are adding 5 gallons a day of saltwater to bring up salinity SLOOOOW.
When we get back to stocking it's angels, angels angels...regals first.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried French angelfish, Queen or adult blue face angelfish in a reef? If so, how’d they do with euphyllia and SPS?

thanks!!
I tried queens twice. The second one was doing great until I upgraded from a 200 to a 300 gallon tank and it started munching on frogspawn

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a coral beauty anglefish and I wanted to know, if it was possible to get another one for my 150 gallon mixed reef? And can they breed if I get a pair?
They can breed, if you plan on pairing, make sure the one you get is smaller, and maybe use an acclimation box so they both can get used to each other without hurting one another, to reduce initial agression.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back