The Angel Lovers Thread

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE
Thank you for the prayers. I lost all my angels except the coral beauty.
I also lost the tusk. We slowly over the course of 2 weeks moved the corals we could into a nano and dropped the salinity. I lost a yellow tang, tusk, majestic, emperor, blue face, clown tang, and all the clownfish (4).
Thankfully we saved all the wrasses, the reef squirrel, the zebra goby, and the watchman goby.
My current issue (as if there weren't enough) is that I have long suspected that my Lunare wrasse was becoming predatory. He or the squirrelfish I wasn't sure which.
First it was the cleaner wrasse who was happy healthy and good size. He suddenly had a chunk taken out of him, recovered then took another injury and died. Then my favorite exquisite wrasse that turned into terminal phase had a bite out of his side, recovered and a week later disappeared. Two days ago one of the lemon meringue wrasses disappeared then yesterday showed up with a massive bite out of the tummy dead. I had to face the fact that my favorite fish had turned into a serial killer. The lunare who is so fun to watch just can't seem to help himself.
Is there any going back to harmony?
@evolved
I have divided the tank ...last night when I went to bed the lunare and 2 fairy wrasses ended up on the same side...this morning thank God the fairy's made it thru that divider to the safe side. Now The lunare is on 1 side with the watchman goby...and every other fish is safe from jaws.
We are still in hypo salinity for another week. Then it will be at least a month to bring up salinity to proper levels... Is there any other way to keep him in check?
I hate to have to give him away

15849871334222722343602856771429.jpg 15849872137641223830090258625405.jpg

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So so sorry....I’m feeling your pain as i try to save a beautiful goldflake angel that has been frantically glass surfing for days. Eating sparingly......fingers crossed......

Again so sorry Mayday......

mayday0237

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So so sorry....I’m feeling your pain as i try to save a beautiful goldflake angel that has been frantically glass surfing for days. Eating sparingly......fingers crossed......

Again so sorry Mayday......
It's crazy how much these little worlds and the inhabitants mean to us.
I just witnessed two of my wrasses squeeze themselves back into the Lions den...I literally held my breath until they squeezed back to the other side...now it appears to be a game...much to the annoyance of the Lunare...

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thing happened tonight. I see my flame angel pair spawn quite regularly in my tank usually right as lights begin to dim. Tonight I was watching the tank and they began to do their ritual chase and dart around prior to their actual spawn. The interesting thing I noticed today was that when they'd get close to doing their vertical swim together my coral beauty would come and interrupt their spawn. Here's a VERY HORRIBLE (lights were just about to go out for the night) video of them and you can see what I'm talking about at about the 1:03 mark in the video.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thing happened tonight. I see my flame angel pair spawn quite regularly in my tank usually right as lights begin to dim. Tonight I was watching the tank and they began to do their ritual chase and dart around prior to their actual spawn. The interesting thing I noticed today was that when they'd get close to doing their vertical swim together my coral beauty would come and interrupt their spawn. Here's a VERY HORRIBLE (lights were just about to go out for the night) video of them and you can see what I'm talking about at about the 1:03 mark in the video.

First: If your light is adjustable, you can adjust the coloration and brightness of the light up a little. Once they start the spawn routine, they will keep going. I do this when ever I wanted to video my angel spawn.
Second: just an observation. Everywhere I read they described CB and Flame Angel as dwarf angel with about the same size. IME, which was many years ago since I have not keep CB lately, I always find the CB get larger than flame. Fully mature CB is about 1.5 time the length of a fully mature Flame angel. Is this the same with your experience?
In your video, I think the CB was just there for a light late snack. I don't think she is there hoping to joint in and do a threesome. I think the CB is a female, becasue likely two Male dwarf angels in your tank would cause a little problem.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard, have do direct knowledge of the situation, that there are very few Flame Angels actually from Hawaii. The angels are caught elsewhere and shipped though Hawaii.
Many people put a premium on Hawaii Flame angels, Mine were from Christmas Island. I certainly love mine. I cannot see how Hawaii Flame would be any better than mine. I won't bore you with more pictures of my Angels. :)
For any dwarf angels, get two or three small ones and you will be fine in your tank, given a reasonable amount of rock and aquascape.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I could even get a Joculator. My LFS can pre-order them but they’re really expensive and if I get unlucky with a specimen, it would suck, and that’s an understatement. Reviews of it so far seem to agree it’s one of the relatively hardy species, but just that price tag makes me a bit nervous.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea regal?
Im not 100% positive, I’d like to trust my LFS contact; he said it was but that’s why I just call it “Indian Ocean” and I made sure he didn’t buy a South Pacific one. Mine IS more orange in color though, if that means anything?

Last edited:

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d appreciate it if anyone has experience with the Multicolor and Joculator Angels. Are they both hardy species? My LFS can order a Joculator if I get lucky (but if that thing dies I’ll lost 600 bucks) and they get Multicolor angels via Hawaii (but as we know most of the time it’s Christmas Island or the South Pacific). Are either of these durable species that fare well?

Also regarding Flames, what are the differences in coloration from region to region? Pictures would be helpful. Thanks.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d appreciate it if anyone has experience with the Multicolor and Joculator Angels. Are they both hardy species? My LFS can order a Joculator if I get lucky (but if that thing dies I’ll lost 600 bucks) and they get Multicolor angels via Hawaii (but as we know most of the time it’s Christmas Island or the South Pacific). Are either of these durable species that fare well?

Also regarding Flames, what are the differences in coloration from region to region? Pictures would be helpful. Thanks.
Multicolors and joculators belong to the same complex within centropyge, their care should be similair

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are complexes within Centropyge? I know you have the larger, medium sized, and the Pygmy angels. But complexes? What are they?
How the genus is further divided up in which similair species are put together in subgenera.

Also im unsure as to how true as to your lfs getting multicolors put of hawaii is ,as they are incredibly rare from the hawaiian islands

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Hawaii but processed through Hawaii or somewhere in the US. The Multicolor angels they have are from the Central Pacific. Their Flames are also processed through the US but most likely from the Central or South Pacific, I believe.

Are fish from those regions safer and healthier than ones from Southeast Asia?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back