The Austrian Dropoff Tank

Mpal771

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing this. There were any number of adjectives to use when I first saw this. The best one is inspirational.

So beyond the tangible aspects of this display that our community is already weighing in on, there are two aspects of this that jumped out at me;

1.) the size, placement and integration of the display in a primary living space. It enhances the atmosphere in a way that's immersive and at the same time not obtrusive.
2.) the down angular rock scape at the end of the drop off leading toward the front of the peninsula. This is , by far, the best drop off scape I've seen to date and draws the casual viewer in as though they were a diver in grand Cayman up the drop off to the shallows. As a hobbyist and diver it is always challenging to be objective about perspective, however in this display, there is no doubt about it.

If you set out to achieve these objectives pre-build, you should be employed as a consultant to a LFS or installation/ service company. If it all just happened to turn out the way it did then just bask in the glow of nailing perfection on this go-around my friend. And thanks again for sharing-

OP
OP
Florian_W

Florian_W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding!!! Beautiful tank.
thanks
I WANT ONE!!!
thank you
WOW, now that's a drop off tank! Great work!
thanks
This is really unique. Video would be great
thank you. i´m working on a video already... seem like everybody wants to see one :D
Great looking tank! That drop off is really impressive.
thanks
WOW!!! Nice work :D
Are you planning on raising the baby cardinal fish?
thanks! and yes we are... my gf went crazy when she saw those baby fish and now i have to get some living artemia :D
Wonderful tank and beautiful light + Corals..Nice nice very nice job...:)
thanks! i´m very happy with the light
I have seen the small versions, but your size is really neat, something different. I like !
thanks. love those nano drop offs!
Thank you for sharing this. There were any number of adjectives to use when I first saw this. The best one is inspirational.
So beyond the tangible aspects of this display that our community is already weighing in on, there are two aspects of this that jumped out at me;
1.) the size, placement and integration of the display in a primary living space. It enhances the atmosphere in a way that's immersive and at the same time not obtrusive.
2.) the down angular rock scape at the end of the drop off leading toward the front of the peninsula. This is , by far, the best drop off scape I've seen to date and draws the casual viewer in as though they were a diver in grand Cayman up the drop off to the shallows. As a hobbyist and diver it is always challenging to be objective about perspective, however in this display, there is no doubt about it.
If you set out to achieve these objectives pre-build, you should be employed as a consultant to a LFS or installation/ service company. If it all just happened to turn out the way it did then just bask in the glow of nailing perfection on this go-around my friend. And thanks again for sharing-
wow thank you!
the integration into my living room is one of the most important things to me... i once had a tank not in my living room and it was horrific... for me the tank needs to be where i am the most... and it´s a good distraction from the tv :D
coming to your 2nd point.. yes this was intentional. i am a diver myself and i tried to achieve a natural look... i´m not a 100% happy with it because i think it´s a bit too harsh all in all but that was the first drop off tank i´ve build and from here on it´s learning learning and learning...
got ideas in my head for a more realistic drop off... but not in the appartment i live now :D

That is a sweet setup!
thanks

new2mac

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I haven't seen a dropoff tank that would attract my attention and make me wish to build one. BUT yours is something else, it looks so natural by resembling so well the real reef downslope. Love the way it was integrated with the rest of room interior. Great work man!

OP
OP
Florian_W

Florian_W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I haven't seen a dropoff tank that would attract my attention and make me wish to build one. BUT yours is something else, it looks so natural by resembling so well the real reef downslope. Love the way it was integrated with the rest of room interior. Great work man!
thank you very much!
it´s so nice to sit on the couch and always be able to watch the fish and corals!!

mkj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the tank. Could be the pictures angle but I don't think I could sit on that couch without a visor though. It would be blinding

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stunning!

OP
OP
Florian_W

Florian_W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Florian_W

Florian_W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9a44d9053271c001e6138245f2c2d3c7.jpg

proud dad of 7 young Kaudernis. fish are now over 2 weeks old and are doing great! feeding on fresh artemia!

update coming soon!! ;)

Cheers

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice..
What leds did you try for a bit?
Recently switched to leds from t-5 and the shadowing is horrible.
Been thinking of a hybrid.
Was looking at the Pacific Sun or Giesemann or maybe going straight up t-5 again.. Problem is t-5 only goes to 60" and my tank is 72".

Last edited:
OP
OP
Florian_W

Florian_W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh what a view!
thanks! love it too ^^
Amazing.... Dream tank indeed. :eek::eek:
thanks mate
Very nice..
What leds did you try for a bit?
Recently switched to leds from t-5 and the shadowing is horrible.
Been thinking of a hybrid.
Was looking at the Pacific Sun or Giesemann or maybe going straight up t-5 again.. Problem is t-5 only goes to 60" and my tank is 72".
i was running the Ecotech Radions but the shadowing was my concern too...
i am happy with my Pacific Sun... like bitchy with the software but once set up it runs perfectly
That is the sweetest thing I think I've ever seen in my life!!!
Who made the tank??
wow thank you very much.
i did... only the glass work was made by a firm... planing and everything else all my work!

Cheers
Flo

eranschau

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys!

as mentioned in my presentation here is my build thread to my tank.

Tankinfo:
550l
shallow area: 100 x 70 x 35cm
dropoff area: 55 x 70 x 75cm

flow:
3x Vortech Mp10
1x Jebao DC 12.000

skimmer:
Coral box D500 (soon to be replaced)

light:
Pacific Sun Hyperion S Hybrid with 3x 75w LED and 8x 54w T5s

other info:
System is running on Aquaforest probitic method for 3 weeks now

so here are some pictures:

That´s it for now.
If you´ve got any questions just ask! ;)

Cheers,
Flo
Absolutely stunning!

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the most amazing displays I have seen. Can you give some info on the manufacturing of the tank? I am curious about the glass cutting of the side panels. Was the build by a aquarium manufacturer?
I get lost just staring at these photos!

OP
OP
Florian_W

Florian_W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the most amazing displays I have seen. Can you give some info on the manufacturing of the tank? I am curious about the glass cutting of the side panels. Was the build by a aquarium manufacturer?
I get lost just staring at these photos!

thanks!
the tank was build by a manufacturer near vienna, planing completley done by me.
the side paneles were a bit tricky. all one plate but the area with drop down had to be made with a round corner... haha round corner...

this was the only way to build the side panels in one piece

Cheers

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back