The Austrian Dropoff Tank

fizzy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a nice looking tank, i also have a drop off tank but a nano version.
IMG_0020.JPG

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks!
the tank was build by a manufacturer near vienna, planing completley done by me.
the side paneles were a bit tricky. all one plate but the area with drop down had to be made with a round corner... haha round corner...

this was the only way to build the side panels in one piece

Cheers
Ah that's clever . This should give you the strength . I have looked at a lot of drop offs and have not seen this solution .

OP
OP
Florian_W

Florian_W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank. It's the tank my drop off wants to be. If only i had the space for one this size!
thanks! nice to hear that you are a tank brother ;)

thats a nice looking tank, i also have a drop off tank but a nano version.
IMG_0020.JPG
wow nice set up! gonna check your thread out write away
Ah that's clever . This should give you the strength . I have looked at a lot of drop offs and have not seen this solution .
yes that was a good idea, but i didn´t plan my fitting to that so i had to underlay it with a lot of plates...
When this tank is all grown out, it's gonna be just unbelievable.
yes i hope so too!
Thanks!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome!

mgoesma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you replacing the coral box d500 skimmer? I am thinking about getting one. Are you unhappy with it?

OP
OP
Florian_W

Florian_W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!

How long have those corals been growing in your tank? The progression shot corals.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well that's some good growth!

timfountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and nice execution, but I have to ask a serious question. In a lot of the photos it appears that you have a red slime, O2 bubbles and even some bubble algae in the display tank. How are you dealing with that?

OP
OP
Florian_W

Florian_W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank and nice execution, but I have to ask a serious question. In a lot of the photos it appears that you have a red slime, O2 bubbles and even some bubble algae in the display tank. How are you dealing with that?

thanks Tim!

my main problem are the cyanos but i am fighting them.
also a big problem are the aiptasia not sure how i will get rid of them
against the bubble algae i am doing nothing right now since i am fighting those two pests above!

Cheers

timfountain

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Tim!

my main problem are the cyanos but i am fighting them.
also a big problem are the aiptasia not sure how i will get rid of them
against the bubble algae i am doing nothing right now since i am fighting those two pests above!

Cheers

Hi Flo, good luck with the tank. I battled cyno for a long time in my last tank (which was reef tank #5 in my life). Water parameters were perfect but once that red cr@p gets going, it's an uphill battle. I never experienced problems before or since in other tanks and I really attribute it to a lack of high flow rates and consequent dead spots. I now have two Maxspec Gyre 150's (at about 50%) in my 92 Red Sea reefer and things are perfect. A filefish is always a good partner to help with Aptasia. I got lucky in that mine feeds well and appears to be reef safe, but that is not universally true.... Also a small needle+ injector (like those used for diabetic insulin injections) loaded with liquid calcium (used for dosing) injected directly into the base of an offending aptasia, causes them to melt! Hehe. Bubble algae will be easy to fix after go get the others sorted.

- Tim

OP
OP
Florian_W

Florian_W

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect tank!
thanks

Hi Flo, good luck with the tank. I battled cyno for a long time in my last tank (which was reef tank #5 in my life). Water parameters were perfect but once that red cr@p gets going, it's an uphill battle. I never experienced problems before or since in other tanks and I really attribute it to a lack of high flow rates and consequent dead spots. I now have two Maxspec Gyre 150's (at about 50%) in my 92 Red Sea reefer and things are perfect. A filefish is always a good partner to help with Aptasia. I got lucky in that mine feeds well and appears to be reef safe, but that is not universally true.... Also a small needle+ injector (like those used for diabetic insulin injections) loaded with liquid calcium (used for dosing) injected directly into the base of an offending aptasia, causes them to melt! Hehe. Bubble algae will be easy to fix after go get the others sorted.

- Tim
thanks Tim!

yes i am looking into those gyre too... maybe in the next few weeks i will get one to test on my tank!!
yes the reef safe filefish... had one but sold him and never managed to get on like him....
Cyano i am going to try chemi clean... hope it work... ordered it from USA... hope it gets here soon...
have to check out the liquid calcium,.... but that are too many now and would be an endless battle!

Cheers,
Flo

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back