The Bacterial “Rip Clean” Method

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have the time to get that detailed..
When the sun comes up, I will soon be on one end of a chainsaw, moving fallen trees from my driveway, It is very likely with more freezing rain, that the tree on my power line will put me in the dark
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This marks the start of documenting Reef Actif protocoal. I estimate that 120G display holds 130G of water.

This is the third day and second dose was administered. I prefer to measure dry weight with scale. I added 3g in first and second dose.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
End of light cycle with overalls improving conditions..

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep updating this pictures and any other observations you see whether they are positive or negative.
Lights on for 30 minutes. Black cyno patch is gradually losing its battle, but not sure who got first damage. Maybe, big lawnmower blennie had part of the action. In a different section of sandbed a patch of maroon cyno has not retreated.

Last picture shows snails cleaning maroon cyno from orange elephant ear sponge.7
Please keep updating this pictures and any other observations you see whether they are positive or negative.

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is starting point of Dual 55G Skid tanks. Initially set up to process 200lbs of diver collected live rock & 50 lbs of live sand from Gulf Live Rock. The top 55G display is skimmerless, sumpless and fishless, with a powerful biochemical filter that uses a reverse flow thru 2” of aroggonite to perform powerful oxidation chemistry and the cryptic void in plenum is the habitat for the “sponge loop” that feeds detritus to the microbial loop and recycles POC back into the system as DIC which feeds photosynthesis that converts carbon dioxide into glucose.

In instrumentation, we call this ” a positive feedback loop”.

In Nature, we call this “Sustainable Maraculture”

PS: Top apex predators are Sally Lightfoot Crab and six Peppermint Shrimp.

Dual 55G tanks
Because this is a thread about bacteria and management of bacteria using diverse filter feeders specific enzymes, I will use liquid seaweed (inorganic carbon & little nitrogen) to favor growth for everyone and compliment that with phytoplankton as an organic carbon source.

There are no fish in this tank, I choose to favor amphipods & copepods as my gardeners, I can see them better than the bacteria. I also have much green macro algae and several red macros. Included in this tank are a variety of ornamental sponges, with my most recent joy two deep water NPS Gorgonions. The flame scallop is hiding and healthy.

I should note, that I occasional dose 5ml of ammonia when lights come on.

Note the last picture of muscle shell on sand bottom. Twenty four hours ago, I took live mussel from r
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Lights on for 2 minutes. Good morning beautiful is streaming on iHeart.

Each of these tanks looks good. The top 55G is 2 yrs mature and bottom 55G is less than 2 months set up. i will focus on top tank which is set up as a Caribbean mixed garden lagoon with a heavy emphasis on filter feeders & cryptic sponges.

Last picture shows left overs from feeding live mussels cracked open. This tank gets dosed 5ml of liquid seaweed when lights come on. Also during photo period I dose 5ml of ammonia twice a day. Every other day, I dose 250ml if phytoplankton

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 17

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dual 55G tanks
Because this is a thread about bacteria and management of bacteria using diverse filter feeders specific enzymes, I will use liquid seaweed (inorganic carbon & little nitrogen) to favor growth for everyone and compliment that with phytoplankton as an organic carbon source.

I will not clean inside glass during this thread discussion, when I went to clean inside glass prior to taking pictures, I saw too many amphipods & copepods that were doing the “two step”.

There are no fish in this tank, I choose to favor amphipods & copepods as my gardeners, I can see them better than the bacteria. I also have much green macro algae and several red macros. Included in this tank are a variety of ornamental sponges, with my most recent joy two deep water NPS Gorgonions. The flame scallop is hiding and healthy.

Note the last picture of muscle shell on sand bottom. Twenty four hours ago, I took live mussel from refrigerator cracked his shell and dropped him into the tank.

This is starting point of Dual 55G Skid tanks. Initially set up to process 200lbs of diver collected live rock & 50 lbs of live sand from Gulf Live Rock. The top 55G display is skimmerless, sumpless and fishless, with a powerful biochemical filter that uses a reverse flow thru 2” of aroggonite to perform powerful oxidation chemistry and the cryptic void in plenum is the habitat for the “sponge loop” that feeds detritus to the microbial loop and recycles POC back into the system as DIC which feeds photosynthesis that converts carbon dioxide into glucose.

In instrumentation, we call this ” a positive feedback loop”.

In Nature, we call this “Sustainable Maraculture”

PS: Top apex predators are Sally Lightfoot Crab and six Peppermint Shrimp.

Dual 55G tanks

Note the last picture of muscle shell on sand bottom. Twenty four hours ago, I took live mussel from r

Lights on for 2 minutes. Good morning beautiful is streaming on iHeart.

Each of these tanks looks good. The top 55G is 2 yrs mature and bottom 55G is less than 2 months set up. i will focus on top tank which is set up as a Caribbean mixed garden lagoon with a heavy emphasis on filter feeders & cryptic sponges.

Last picture shows left overs from feeding live mussels cracked open. This tank gets dosed 5ml of liquid seaweed when lights come on. Also during photo period I dose 5ml of ammonia twice a day. Every other day, I dose 250ml if phytoplankton

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights on for 30 minutes. Black cyno patch is gradually losing its battle, but not sure who got first damage. Maybe, big lawnmower blennie had part of the action. In a different section of sandbed a patch of maroon cyno has not retreated.

Last picture shows snails cleaning maroon cyno from orange elephant ear sponge.7

Given enough time the good guys will always win, everything looking fantastic and on the right track imo

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given enough time the good guys will always win, everything looking fantastic and on the right track imo
With that said, J need a “white hat”.

For certain , my leading good guy players are live phytoplankton. live mussels: the organics are followed by inorganic including iron & ammonia.. Because I ran out of Seachen iron, I have increased feed of live mussels & liquid seaweed assuming iron is included in that cocktail. I don’t think that you can overdose iron. once while dosing numerous macro grow out systems, I spilled 250ml if Seachem iron concentrate. The 55G tank of Gracilaria Hays turned red that I could not see back glass at 12”. There were no fish in this tank so I added 20ml of ammonia and left photoperiod at 16 hours. After 3 days the red had cleared up allowing me to see a dramatic change in appearance of G Hayi, Instead of thin and slightly calcified, it was thicker and rubbery with raised bumps like burn blisters on human skin. After two weeks everything returned to normal with nothing else added but light energy, vigorous gas exchange using a vertical loop current to tumble seaweed. Several months later while researching plant iron storage mechanisms, I came across @Randy Holmes-Farley articles on trace minerals in seawater! in which he generalized that it would be difficult to overdose iron. In the frame article iron storage mechanisms was mentioned.

Considering the above scenario., it really is impossible to eliminate all the dynamics going on when doing an experiment on something as complex as a reef ecosystem.. At a MAGNA Conference in the early 70’s, I heard Martin Moe compare reef aquarian science to rocket science when he said, “It’s not rocket science, it’s more complicated”. When discussing biochemistry with Randy, he said, we launched a man to the moon 51 years ago, yet we can’t cure cancer”.

Enough rambling. It will be sunrise soon and I have much work with ice laden falling trees. My RV tenants evacuated their trailer yesterday morning. due to near misses. I hope I can tell them that their new home is in good shape this morning.

Last edited:

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This marks the start of documenting Reef Actif protocoal. I estimate that 120G display holds 130G of water.

This is the third day and second dose was administered. I prefer to measure dry weight with scale. I added 3g in first and second dose.

This 120G display is one light cycle ahead of 75G tank On Reef Actif dosing of bioflock. This system has a MaxiJet 1000 pumping 250 GPHr into plenum with 2” aroggonite substrate. Air bubbler in display is to maximize gas exchange during lights out when both pH and oxygen are lowest. Low pH is of little concern, maximizing oxygen is the goal.

Day 5 during last hour of photo cycle. Water clarity is stellar. The rest of the system is limping along. This 120 G display needs a good gravel vac with a 5G partial water change, but Sunday is busy for me.

End of the second light cycle after second treatment of 2 grams biofloc. Overall, I see more reflective light that is not being absorbed by algae. In two hours when lights go out, the third dose of 2 grams will be added.

Twenty four hours ago the third 100% full dose of 3 grams into 120G display with 40G cryptic refugium. Lights on for 30 minutes. The color rendition of this display tank is 10K. Overall I see improvement in decreasing green algae on everything and an overall increase in light. If I had a PAR meter, I could give hard numbers

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the sun comes up, I will soon be on one end of a chainsaw, moving fallen trees from my driveway, It is very likely with more freezing rain, that the tree on my power line will put me in the dark
Hope your chainsaw chain is sharp and you don’t overdo it. Sending good energy. I also hope the tree possibly affecting your power hold strong!

Last edited:
OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nature takes time to evolve and adapt, I am not comfortable to ask folks for specific pictures and I thought that I needed to do some work myself.

I’ve picked up this coral skeleton from a local lfs, the idea was to show progression and that Cyanobacteria can’t use this type of carbon.

coral skeleton in lfs (mix of green and red Cyanobacteria

87767945-D355-45EB-93B1-4F6BED86A9E8.jpeg

day 0

same day in the tank unfortunately some was lost in transport
7BD44A2B-F7D6-448A-A1D8-0FDA9B441CE3.jpeg

Day 1
B5E5B3F5-27BD-461C-85D6-D2E29CA5C284.jpeg

Day 2
FA55BAD0-5284-4A77-85E5-86099FB6B325.jpeg

Day 3
23357364-DF77-4927-9B68-40887DAE3779.jpeg

Day 4
20B6DD6B-86F8-4C3A-B15F-D7072521861D.jpeg

it’s taking its time to be outcompeted as bacteria needs to first “clean” the rock from organics that will feed thy nuisance, by the end of day 4 the skeleton is starting to look “clean” with only small traces of red Cyanobacteria, the green one is mostly gone. Also take in consideration that my system is at full dose. My bacteria only has to deal with this coral skeleton and not the hole system. If folks are looking for a quick fix then antibiotic, silver or a standard “rip clean” would be my suggestion. This will be a slow and natural process that could take months to see the effects/results what caused the issue wasn’t done in a day and resolving won’t take a day either although if anyone willing to take the time.

Day 0 Vs day 4 pictures side by side

7BD44A2B-F7D6-448A-A1D8-0FDA9B441CE3.jpeg
20B6DD6B-86F8-4C3A-B15F-D7072521861D.jpeg

Last edited:

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is starting point on Reef Actif protocoal in 75G display tank set up for 25years with one move 11 years ago, system incudes a 30G cryptic & mud refugium and the beginning of nutrient recycling with detrivores in a 2” deep sandbed of aroggonite at 2-3mm in diameter. I will put daily post in my build thread, so as not to clog up the OP’s thread.

During lights out, I mixed 1.5g of dry weight powder (half of TM maximum recommended dose of Reef Actif) into 250ml cup of tank water, after mixing for 15 seconds, I poured all contents into high flow area of tank and rinsed out wet powder still in cup. All pictures were taken after first light on first day of modified biofock protocoal.

PS: First picture was prior to cleaning the glass. On third and fourth picture note the dark maroon spots on sandbed, that is an actively growing patch of Cynobactera.

The last picture shows two nuisances that are unnecessary in the diversity of this complex ecosystem and I will “Practice the Art of ReefKeeing“ with a syphon hose to waste.

In the Art of Reefing, everybody has a job.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

So 6 hrs into “lights on” small cyno mat & Aptasia were vacuumed to waste along with a few beneficial spaghetti worms. Other small patches, probably diatoms, were removed from base of live rock. Completed a 7 gallon gravel vacume to waste.

Three hours into light cycle on second day after half dosage protocoal started. Water clarity remains stellar and the sandbed vacuumed yesterday remains clean of nuisance algae.

Things observed during this second light cycle after first dose of 1.5 grams. I should note that I continue feeding heavy to this system. Today was 6 frozen cubes of 3 different foods, yesterday was 250 ml of phytoplankton and 2 live mussels and tomorrow will be 250ml of phytoplankton and 2 live mussels.

The Caribbean Gorgonions are flying “full polyps out” for all day and the flame scallop has feed all day
Water clarity continues to be stellar.

When lights go out, I will add 1.5 grams to system.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Day 4.
Lights on 10 miinutes after second dose at 1.5 grams of bioflock

To enable sustainable harvest of phytoplankton, I use boiled & sterilized display tank water, then cooled to 75 degrees. Today I removed 1 liter of phytoplankton from 4 liter jar that was 2/3 full. I added about 2 liters of sterilized salt water and 4 ml of Guillard f2 fertilizer with 7 days to next culture harvest.

PS: The last picture shows waster color 30 minutes after dosing'. In 3 hours the water clarity will be stellar.

No downfall that was not there before: film algae on glass and brown film on substrate, probably diatoms as ground water is full of silicates because Edwards Aquifier was an ancient inland sea that was full of diatoms. I cater to sponges in all of my mixed gardens.

I will continue posting updates to 75G tank from #295.

So, 6 hours after staining display tank phytoplankton green with 1 liter of Tetraselmis concentrate. The water clarity is better than stellar, “It’s stellar on steroids”.

The light diatom dusting that I saw a few hours ago on substrate is gone. All corals are extended with best polyps except for large long polyp green leather. Sometimes gorgonians & leathers slough off mucous, but now I see emerging green polyps.

@sixty_reefer
Is post #329 a good starting point for 120G problem child tank?

. Please pardon my enthusiasm of participation as I have somewhat hijacked your thread with many post.

Day 5
0430 hours. Lights on for 10 minutes. White sand reflects much light.

This is end of first week of dosing 75% recommended maximum dose every two days. I estimated 90G total in 75G display and dose 1.5 grams every 2 days.

Initally, when lights came on 6 houyrs ago, flame scallop had water stirred up as “he hung by a thread” and “flapped his jaws”.

A light dusting of diatoms has shown itself six hours into photoperiod several days in a row and then white sand at end of the day. I interpret this as nutrient recycling of diatoms into detrivores and overall nutrient reduction with sequestered organics in biomass of detrivores.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PS: After 2 hrs of lights on, the black patch is revived as is maroon cyno. When lights go out this tank gets its 2 day dose. Instead of 75% dose I will increase dosage rate to 2 grams instead of 1.5 grams. This is 100% recommended max dose. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 16

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

oh, wow. Good luck dealing with that!

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you clear the tree?! This thread is moving fast... Not caught up yet :)

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope your chainsaw chain is sharp and you don’t overdo it. Sending good energy. I also hope the tree possibly affecting your power hold strong!
Chainsaw is sharp. With so many trees ready to snap, I choose not to be under them until ice melts. I did get some more wood for fireplace while I was outside.

I did take some pictures. The tree on power line is weighing wire down and pulling utility pole over as wire is strained. Air temperature has risen to 33 degrees with ice beginning to melt. As long as wind stays calm, things should hold.

The new RV for young couple is standing tall, I told Shawn this morning to get a bigger gas chainsaw to get to the RV trailer

Attachments

• EBA8D82E-8350-4DA1-838E-4D185CE8C053.jpeg
    EBA8D82E-8350-4DA1-838E-4D185CE8C053.jpeg
    289.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 2063DF33-A473-4823-B327-5B95F2B929F1.jpeg
    2063DF33-A473-4823-B327-5B95F2B929F1.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 35
  • 36F48713-96F3-4293-A848-31CFB6641A71.jpeg
    36F48713-96F3-4293-A848-31CFB6641A71.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 37

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sixty_reefer

I will be increasing bioflic dosage from
1.5 to 2 grams which is 100% of maximum recommended dosage.

I feel full dosage every 2 days is more effective than 1/2 that amount every day. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also with respect to recommended maximum dosage, did I understand you to have doubled that dosage rate? Can you expound on that?

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@sixty_reefer

I feel full dosage every 2 days is more effective than 1/2 that amount every day. Any thoughts or suggestions?
I would like to hear your thoughts/reasoning on this?

I am a week behind you(or maybe 2) and I could change my dosing regiment.
Or I could stay the coarse and see how everyday goes to see if there is any differance than daily or two day. Currently I have not seen any changes in my system but, it is to early I'm sure. It has only been 3 days at 1/4 dose so far. That equates to 1/2 dose in your system.

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m now 3 days in. Second dose was yesterday morning before lights on. A reminder, I’m dosing roughly 1/2 of max (one level scoop in a 225g system) every other day.

Below is the cyano spot I will avoid syphoning in my weekly water change. This is today:

371C5BF7-9D35-49EC-BAB2-94B9B885C4E8.jpeg

And this was before I started the Actif regimen:
4B2FAFD0-39B2-4593-82D3-4427C16D2F7B.jpeg

Obviously this is all very early on so I’m not surprised to see no significant changes anywhere. That said, my new maxima clam looks happier than it ever has in the two weeks I’ve had it:

5496B60B-41DD-4DB0-B570-A6B1B133A53F.jpeg

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question about the amount to dose. From TM Max dosage "One measuring spoon per 500 litres/132 US gallons of aquarium water three times a week" How should I go about calculating dosage? I have about 40g total volume in the tank I am going to use this in. Can I mix it with water then do the math and divide the amount or will the product go bad in storage between doses if mixed with water? A scale maybe (which I do not have)? Not everyone has tanks as large or larger than 132g so I'm not sure why they don't break the dosage down into smaller doses. Sure would be easy to add up rather than calculate down since the spoon is the only measurement they provide. I have the product and am ready to start once I can figure out how much to start with.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 43.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back