The Battle with Red Planaria Flatworms

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by AquaNerd, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Ty Hamatake

Ty Hamatake Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member

Oh man, this thread gave me flashbacks to when my tank was infested. I let it get way out of hand and didn't get it under control until I moved tanks. Once all the fish and corals were out I pretty much overdosed the tank (I can't remember what I used to save my life) to like 10x the recommended amount, swished the frags in a pretty high concentration, then dosed the new tank to the recommended level. It may have been excessive but it worked...

20160211_140704.jpg

20160211_145517.jpg

2. v10king

v10king Well-Known Member

Ive tried getting rid of flatworms with flat worm exit and it didn't really work at all, they just came back. I had to break down entire tank and quarantine everything then they disappeared. I recommend Bayer dip for everything that goes in to the tank to ensure no new flatworms get into the main display.

3. N1Husker

N1Husker Well-Known Member

I have a Coral Banded Shrimp, he didn't touch them. I have also tried Flatworm Exit and it works well as a dip, along with Coral X, when I get new corals, but not overall in the tank. Only after I got the Melanurus Wrasse did I finally get rid of them and I haven't seen any since.

4. dnahas

dnahas New Member

How did the testing go?

I finally created a r2r account to report some interesting results.

I may have stumbled upon a flat worm solution with Lanthanum chloride. I gave up on FWE and bought a melanurus and decided to move some flatworms into his QT tank. When QT was complete I still had flatworms in the tank. I started testing methods to remove turf algae from some rock in the QT, and wanted to fist remove phosphate from the tank. With just the rock and some SPS frags combined with too lazy to use the 5 micron filter socks, I dropped lanthanum chloride straight into the tank. It's a 20G tank and I did not care too much on the dosing so I added 20 drops. After an approximately an hour I noticed the drying flatworms in strings that look the same as if I had just dosed FWE. I dosed 20 drops 48hr later, and probably 30 drops(all that was left in the bottle) 48hr after that.

One week later, It's premature for my results as I am not sure if I have irradiated them. I may have some small ones, but I cant find my magnifying glass.

Now I am curious if it was the sudden drop in alk, or the Lanthanum phosphate that had an affect on the flat worms.

5. Luis Figueroa

Luis Figueroa Well-Known Member

I hear the problem with fwe is that if you don't get them out soon the leech toxins into the tank after dying, is that correct? You mention you dosed the lanthanum chloride into the tank and they showed the symptoms of using fwe but did you suck them out of your tank after you saw that or leave them in?

6. dnahas

dnahas New Member

FTR I am of the belief that the FWE is just as if not more than toxic than the dying worms. This is a in a tank that was about to be drained. No I did not get them out.

At this point i still can not find any flatworms in my test system.