OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to make some vitamins with the ghost shrimp.

Pred Packs.jpg

Last edited:

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you injecting them with? B complex?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
SUCH a COOL thread!! Enjoying this!

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thread is not what I intended, unfortunately. I wanted to video all the little things I do, like even how I jiggle the stick, but he converted easier than I thought. I'm going to fill him up before the next video, so that maybe I'll have to pull out some techniques to convince him to take more. Right now he's running to the front of the tank when I enter the garage, so he already knows I'm a source of food. That's why I squat down and stare at the tank before I offer food.

Some fish recognize who feeds them and who doesn't in a household. They beg when I'm around and not my husband. I know seahorses recognize people as well. I had to remove this one seahorse every day to put a topical on his tail. He hated me. I couldn't go near the tank without him freaking out. My husband had to feed that tank. The radiata I just moved to the 210g was also avoiding me and not my husband.

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those dried shrimp? They look exactly like what my turtle gets fed haha sometimes I give it to my blue spot puffer but he's a very picky eater

Yup! After I wean them off of live, I freeze some and dehydrate others. I actually dehydrate them (without heat), then fill them up with a liquid and then dry them some more. If I don't do the second drying, some of vitamins ooze out in the end product. With the second drying, I can put medication in there and they won't even taste it. After I fill them, I also let them sit in another liquid to coat the outside, to make them tastier and to soften them.

If anyone decides to dry shrimp, make sure you remove the rostrum. They are little sharp needles after the process and can even draw blood from ones finger. Ask me how I know......

drying..jpg

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup! After I wean them off of live, I freeze some and dehydrate others. I actually dehydrate them (without heat), then fill them up with a liquid and then dry them some more. If I don't do the second drying, some of vitamins ooze out in the end product. With the second drying, I can put medication in there and they won't even taste it. After I fill them, I also let them sit in another liquid to coat the outside, to make them tastier and to soften them.

If anyone decides to dry shrimp, make sure you remove the rostrum. They are little sharp needles after the process and can even draw blood from ones finger. Ask me how I know......

drying..jpg
And those are ghost shrimp right? Is the main reason you don't just feed them live shrimp so you can put vitamins in them?

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i need to spend some more time with my puffer getting him to eat my dried shrimp to wear down his teeth

OP
OP
Lionfish Lair

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like the work of keeping the live ones around if they are not needed. Especially in the summer or winter, as I keep them in the garage and the temps swing in there. Once a month or so I go buy more shrimp to make vitamins and I throw a few live ones in the tanks occasionally.

These are hard enough to wear down puffer teeth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.6%
Back