The BEST eradicator of the evil Aiptasia Anemone!

THE MOST successful way to eradicate aiptasia anemones?

• Aiptasia X

Votes: 89 11.2%
  • Peppermint Shrimp

Votes: 161 20.2%
  • Hand Removal

Votes: 16 2.0%
  • Laser

Votes: 12 1.5%
  • Superglue

Votes: 25 3.1%
  • Berghia Nudibranch

Votes: 143 17.9%
  • Rock Removal and clean

Votes: 17 2.1%
  • Lemon Juice

• F-Aiptasia

Votes: 64 8.0%
  • Kalk Injection

Votes: 32 4.0%
  • Filefish

Votes: 68 8.5%
  • Copperband Butterfly Fish

Votes: 64 8.0%
  • Other Livestock (please explain in a post)

Votes: 16 2.0%
  • Other Product (please explain in the thread)

• I've had no success

Votes: 67 8.4%

• Total voters

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haven't had to deal with aiptasia even though I don't dip corals or quarantine. ;Nailbiting

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually type my stories, but pictures are worth a thousand words. I post a before and after copperband. I haven't seen an aiptasia since. These pictures are about 4-6 months a part... It's a picture of the same spot. Just as an FYI, sandbed, rocks, even my glass were covered in so much aiptasia I was to the point of a complete tear down of my 350 gallon display. My CBB a $100 fish, saved me thousands of dollars in starting over..... They just kept appearing hidden in my rocks all over... Until it was too much to control....

My entire 350 gallon display is barren, void of any aiptasia now.. There were most likely in the tens of thousands before the CBB.

Before CBB
Before Copperband.jpg

After CBB:
After Copperband.jpg
SO do you feel like the CBB worked?

wolfthefallen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia once you have it is all about controlling the population, I have never found a way to completely eradicate it.

I have used many methods to get the population down, Aipstasia X by Red Sea was my go-to for some time, then I found F-Aiptasia. F-Aiptasia works the best imo to get the population down to a natural manageable level fast. Then from their I tend to use Peppershrimp for the main display and Nudis in the sump.

drewbeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've talked many times about how to kill, eradicate aiptasia anemones in our reef tanks. They seem to appear from nowhere and reproduce at a rapid rate so knowing how to get rid of them quickly is pretty crucial. I've put together a list, from a previous thread, and I would like for you to vote for your chosen method that is PROVEN to work for you!

1. In your experience what is the number one, best way, to get rid of aiptasia anemones?

2. What preventive measures do you take to make sure that you don't introduce aiptasia to your tank?

Untitled-1.jpg

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used superglue every time I catch one on a new frag, I always nip it in the bud and it has worked every single time, I’m glad to say my tank is aptasia free

gt44ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the best luck with various butterflies, aside from CBB (Pakistan, raccoon specifically). Only real danger is that they start nipping at corals but nothing has worked better for me. I use Aptasia X to take out the huge ones the butterfly can't handle if the fish is small

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO do you feel like the CBB worked?
I feel like the CBB should have gotten paid for every Aiptasia he ate! For my CBB anyways they were like candybars! I catch him hunting at night, either finding one buried in the rocks somewhere or he's hunting pods. During the day he eats frozen food from my hand. He likes being around me and has become like a puppy dog.

CoralVision

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had hundreds and hundreds of aiptasia. Pearlscale Butterfly took care of all of them. The trade off was anything had tentacles also were gone. No acans.

Russell G

Meh...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you don’t have any predators in the tank that will eat them, the Berghia Nudibranch are hands down the best. If you do have predators in the tank, they will have to come out for a while. They are the only way to kill all of the aiptasia including the ones in the little crevasses you can’t see. They eliminated my problem in about 2 months and I’ve been aiptasia free ever since.

OCHittman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've talked many times about how to kill, eradicate aiptasia anemones in our reef tanks. They seem to appear from nowhere and reproduce at a rapid rate so knowing how to get rid of them quickly is pretty crucial. I've put together a list, from a previous thread, and I would like for you to vote for your chosen method that is PROVEN to work for you!

1. In your experience what is the number one, best way, to get rid of aiptasia anemones?

2. What preventive measures do you take to make sure that you don't introduce aiptasia to your tank?

Untitled-1.jpg
I have 2 tanks; the coral tank has an "Aiptasia Eating" filefish & peppermint shrimp that work like a charm. In my reef tank (mostly leathers & polyps) I use Aiptasia-X because it has triggerfish that eat the inverts.

BigOC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few dozens aiptasia over the rock in a 34 gallon. I added a couple of peppermint shrimp as a first step to start the fight, but they ate every single aiptasia within a few days. I was shocked because the bigger aiptasia were almost the size of the shrimps .... it has been over two months now and I have seen no sign of aiptasia, I haven't seen one of the shrimp for a while either :(

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone that loves his wrasses budribranchs is a basically expensive food. Im getting some now, putting glue where they reaide seem to work temporarily, aipstasia X will make it worse. Copperband might be my next step since i got a pair of flame hawks that will make quick work of any shrimp lol

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried JoesJuice but the aiptasia just popped up in other spots. Got a pair of peppermint shrimp from Algae Barn and aiptasia was gone in a week. Really incredible to watch them go after it. It's like they go to war! A battle with dinner!

Bonus, they spawn regularly to the delight of my fish!

Also, free manicures!

mama.jpg

There is a downside of course. Model citizens for the best part of a year, then I added a pretty little birdsnest frag. Well, apparently it looked like aiptasia to Big Mama, and she ate about a third of it before I caught her in the act and moved the frag to my nano. Oh well!

Bob LI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catching the anemone before you put the rockwork in the tank is by far the best, but if there is one anemone you can see, there are probably dozens you can't see. Removing the rock once it is in you tank is a great option, if you don't have 10 years of coral growth on it and coraline algae hasn't glued the rockwork together. I've tried peppermint shrimp with no luck. Tried Berghia Nudibranchs which seemed to work at first, then I started to see the number of aiptasia increase (I think my six-line wrasse had something to do with that). It was impossible to get Joe's Juice, or Aiptasia X, to all the locations in my 150, so I tried the file fish. Within a month, I couldn't find any aiptasia, and the file fish ate with everyone else in the tank. Years have gone by with no anemones!

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank crash. so I took all the rock out, removed the surviving corals and put them on the bare bottom of the tank. I did a overflow upgrade that I wanted to do anyway. The old overflow was their headquarters. with no where to hide I used aptasia X and manual removal to get rid of the rest. I left the tank with just fish and corals for about two years. I had about 140 lbs of Pukani rock. will be re-installing a new rock scape next week with less rock. the tank is a 150g.

Taff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg
Marine elimi-tasia, from Maidenhead Aquatics U.K. Awesome. And I'm a newbie, about a year into marine.

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing a couple of aiptasias in the LFS when I was getting stated, I decided to have a CBB in advance. I don't have much corals yet but so far haven't dealt with Aiptasia.

xrouter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried Berghia, they ate one then never saw any again. Pepermint shrimp strip mined my tank of them in a week. They only left a huge one which I will just manually kill as I know they pickup any new ones.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 82 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back