The Big LED poll

Which brand LEDs do you prefer or currently using?

• Aqua Illumination

Votes: 58 10.5%
  • Acan Lighting

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • ATI LED Powermodule

Votes: 6 1.1%
  • Ecotech Marine

Votes: 105 19.0%
  • Ecoxotic LED Lighting

Votes: 12 2.2%
  • Giesemann LED Lighting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JBJ LED Lighting

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Innovative Marine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maxspect LED Lighting

Votes: 42 7.6%
  • Kessil LED Lighting

Votes: 70 12.7%
  • Vertex

Votes: 8 1.4%
  • Reef Brite LED

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • Orphek Aquarium LED

Votes: 11 2.0%
  • GHL Mitras LED

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • DIY

Votes: 69 12.5%
  • Pacific Sun

Votes: 9 1.6%
  • Reef Radiance

Votes: 41 7.4%
  • OceanRevive

Votes: 20 3.6%
  • Reef Breeders

Votes: 44 8.0%
  • EverGrow

Votes: 32 5.8%
  • Apollo

Votes: 7 1.3%

• Total voters

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's time, it's been 8months since I started this thread and the bulbs on my t5 are already over a year old. I need to make a purchase within 3wks to take advantage of the ecotech summer discount, but lately I've been going back and forth between getting 2x gen3 or a 36" ati led powermodule. Price wise, it's gonna be the same, but the ati has t5s which I've seen a lot of led users are adding and I'm already using t5s which I love, don't have the shimmer or ramping capability, which I would like though. The gen3 has the nice compact look, the programming capabilities and user interface looks really slick and also a few ati users are reporting problems with their powermodule. I know first hand ecotech has top notch CS, not too sure about ati. Hmm....
That's a tough call. If you love t5 and are happy with your results I would be tempted to stay with what you have.

That said, I initially ran t5s (10x80w). My results were good, but man where they hot. My chiller ran all the time. I cut over to 4 Kessil 360s and was instantly in love. Shimmer, ramp, chiller never runs now and I don't need to drop $300 on bulbs every 6 to 8 months nor deal with disposing of them. My corals had a tepid response. A few months ago I added back 4 t5s into the mix and everything is booming. Coloration is awesome and growth is improving. Hybrid has worked out best for me.

Oh and I run a radion g2 pro on my ft (inline). I had a few new sticks that were brown and not improving after a few weeks i moved them to the DT and they are improving now.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran T5's for 5yrs. Upgraded tank 11wks ago and am using LED's.
I am not missing the T5's at all! Not the heat nor lack of control. Bulb replacement $$$ will now go towards coral or fish :)

Reef_a_holiks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
recently got a used orphek pr156 , all i can say is wow! why havent i considered these lights a long time ago. Also why dont i see more hobbyist using orpheks. excellent lights, number 1 to IMHO

OP
OP
Reefltx

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
recently got a used orphek pr156 , all i can say is wow! why havent i considered these lights a long time ago. Also why dont i see more hobbyist using orpheks. excellent lights, number 1 to IMHO

IMO, they look like the higher end and higher priced version of these LEDs coming from china. There's also not a lot of info in the type of LEDs that are used in their fixtures, but judging by the small reviews I've seen, most are happy with orpheks.

Anyways, my ati led powermodule arrived today! All i can say is, this thing makes my ati sun power fixture look like crap. The material and crafting is superb. Although, I've only spent an hour or so with it, I find the software a little glitchy (no Mac support) and the power/control box & wire is super bulky. I didn't even try to set the light settings with the control box, it seems like it would probably take hours if I did. And the clock on the control resets if power is lost, a big w*f! No apex support, no way of controlling the lights individual without using the bulky control box. Now I have no way of wowing my friends with my iPhone......

Aesthetically, the fixture looks awesome beside the control box, it's 2014 they couldn't make this thing any slimmer or at least add wireless!? Honestly, I did my research and knew what I was getting, but man this thing is bulky... Lol

Lighting at 100% is freakishly bright, I haven't done any par readings but I'm sure it's up there. Currently, I'm running t5s at 100% LEDs 50%. I'm doing2x blue+, 1x coral+, 1x purple+ And the LEDs set to blue plus mode. I'm about 50% happy with my $1500 purchase. :smile: Hopefully I get some time this weekend to play with the settings a bit more.

Anyone care to share their settings?

Last edited:

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the new elive pod track lighting, its the easiest to upgrade with all sorts of available leds from lunar blue and lunar white, to color enhancing and high def, it has two tracks, one day and one night, the night is adjustable but the day isnt. it has its ups and downs but i love it for the most part. didnt see it on the poll so i thought id throw it in there.

rs1831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, they look like the higher end and higher priced version of these LEDs coming from china. There's also not a lot of info in the type of LEDs that are used in their fixtures, but judging by the small reviews I've seen, most are happy with orpheks.

Anyways, my ati led powermodule arrived today! All i can say is, this thing makes my ati sun power fixture look like crap. The material and crafting is superb. Although, I've only spent an hour or so with it, I find the software a little glitchy (no Mac support) and the power/control box & wire is super bulky. I didn't even try to set the light settings with the control box, it seems like it would probably take hours if I did. And the clock on the control resets if power is lost, a big w*f! No apex support, no way of controlling the lights individual without using the bulky control box. Now I have no way of wowing my friends with my iPhone......

Aesthetically, the fixture looks awesome beside the control box, it's 2014 they couldn't make this thing any slimmer or at least add wireless!? Honestly, I did my research and knew what I was getting, but man this thing is bulky... Lol

Lighting at 100% is freakishly bright, I haven't done any par readings but I'm sure it's up there. Currently, I'm running t5s at 100% LEDs 50%. I'm doing2x blue+, 1x coral+, 1x purple+ And the LEDs set to blue plus mode. I'm about 50% happy with my $1500 purchase. :smile: Hopefully I get some time this weekend to play with the settings a bit more.

Anyone care to share their settings?

Any pics yet??:smile:

00ninja00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want all LEDs, radion or mitras is the best money can buy, with mitras as the top. If u want t5s in the mix then go with ati led hybrid.
Any of these choice is not cheap though, so if you're on a budget, these won't work.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessils giving my corals more of the T5 look compared to my old DIY leds. Here is a pic
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410140381.483341.jpg

DeeFromBrooklyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of Kessil but with a 6ft tank the spread is very expensive and I like my ability to program my t5 fixture.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of Kessil but with a 6ft tank the spread is very expensive and I like my ability to program my t5 fixture.

Define expensive? Also, I feel like my 3 wide spread would be fine with a 6 foot tank. I wish I had bought the narrow spread. Anyways the new kessils are programmable.

DeeFromBrooklyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking at $900 for 4 which is cheap compared to the radions. But the radions are controllable with more programming options, plus my tank has a hood so raising the kessils to eliminate the dead spotting affect is out.

leroytigerjohnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my Reef Radiance lights, and now that they are available in many custom configurations they've become even better. Have 2 more on order as I type this. They are now "controllable" too.

hllywd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my own a few years ago that really limited access in the canopy of my 210 due to the heatsinks I found at the time. Trying out 3x Kessil A360Ws now. Love the look, and how the program runs on my Apex. Simple to set up with ApexFusion, I had the program setup ready to plug the lights in when they arrived. If you're not using a controler, and have multiple A360s you can daisy chain tm together with simple mini-jack stereo cords you can pick up almost anywhere. In that configuration the first light in the string controls, and all the others down the chain are slaves that match the settings of the control light. That said I'm sticking with the 2X 80W T5s for a few hours during he mid day program. Installed 2 - 80W ATI Coral Plus bulbs at the same time as the Kessils the combo gives a nice bright crisp look.

DeeFromBrooklyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's what I'm trying to avoid. If I get kessils which will work with my Apex and still end up with t5s. What's the point. ..

mzm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Zetlight Qmaven RT6600 over mine. Maybe you could add them to the poll?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back