The "brownies" thread of progression, the happy times, the sad times

RUNVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see that one STN! Refund on the way as it's still within 24 hours. :)

Good to see some PE on some of the others already. That one has a nice green base started. Brownies often turn green before they show true colors (or they just stay green haha)
Haha yes I am excited to see how these turn out over the next few months! I plan to remove the bases next week just to give them some time to adjust before stressing them again. I will update again at the end of September!:)

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha yes I am excited to see how these turn out over the next few months! I plan to remove the bases next week just to give them some time to adjust before stressing them again. I will update again at the end of September!:)
Definitely the way to go if you have a separate QT. Let them heal a bit before stressing again by removing base.

alten78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had this brownish with a hint of greenish acro for quite some time, never really did anything or colored up but I gave it too much time to toss it. In fact, I almost killed the dang thing in a tank move last year...along with everything else.

Unfortunately this is the earliest picture I have of it, it along with the slimmer did not have a good time during said move...

brownacro

But as time went on and it continued to heal and grow, starting show some color....

brownacro4

Top down of it today, still could use some work...

brownacro3

Last edited:

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well brownies dont like being moved a week after they are shipped across the country...I'm changing jobs so i had to take my office tank home before i move to my new company, set up a holding bin for the corals so i can move in stages and all were looking good for a couple days, well this morning I come down and 1 fully rtn'd and a second is on its way out. Sucks but its the nature of the game. still have 2.5 left so fingers crossed!

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My specimens are usually nicely colored upon collection, turned brown (or green) for a few weeks before sprouting new branches with proper color. I do have one stick still in brownies state for months now. Might throw that stick away if i can fine a better specimen.

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My specimens are usually nicely colored upon collection, turned brown (or green) for a few weeks before sprouting new branches with proper color. I do have one stick still in brownies state for months now. Might throw that stick away if i can fine a better specimen.
Dont throw it away!! Give it to another reefer or a store. What you may not like, someone else may enjoy. Hell Ill take it off your hands. Got a pic?

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont throw it away!! Give it to another reefer or a store. What you may not like, someone else may enjoy. Hell Ill take it off your hands. Got a pic?

Only a handful SPS keeper around here so giving away might be problem. That brownies was a light blue stick with white polyp. Didn't see any polyp since day 1. Sorry, no picture yet. Will do tomorrow when lights are up.

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well brownies dont like being moved a week after they are shipped across the country...I'm changing jobs so i had to take my office tank home before i move to my new company, set up a holding bin for the corals so i can move in stages and all were looking good for a couple days, well this morning I come down and 1 fully rtn'd and a second is on its way out. Sucks but its the nature of the game. still have 2.5 left so fingers crossed!
Yea that's a rough journey for them having to move again so soon. :(

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright...pics of my brownies for this thread too. Water is a bit cloudy in some of these, probably just all the sliming and such. Hopefully will clear up tomorrow:

Dipping:

In the tank right after dipping:

A couple hours later...some changes (not necessarily for the better can be seen):

Not sure about this one unless he's just going to bleach out...

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here are mine. got 5 originally but one was DOA. Think all of them have potential. Thanks Matt at Boom Corals!
DSC_5972.jpg
DSC_5984.jpg
katescosmos.jpg

kdino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
moved the tank home from my office this past weekend. Now I know it's not the best idea to move corals within a week of being shipped across the country but I had.to take the table home because I start my new job in a little over a week and not sure If it's ok to have a tank in my my new office...either way, only one casualty, and it may have only bleached out and not died off completely as it's been 3 days and no algae growth on the skeleton. fingers crossed! but still have 2.5 out of the original 5 left. Anyway here's a pic of the new setup and stuff. I'll get close up pics tomorrow when the lights come back on
20170903_163415.jpg
20170903_163422.jpg

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 more or less gone, one with some base recession and another with recession on the tips as of this morning. :(

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 more or less gone, one with some base recession and another with recession on the tips as of this morning. :(
It's ok hopefully now that we figured out some things to change with acclimation next ones will go better! I might also have a few replacement brownies for you with your other frags. ;)

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's ok hopefully now that we figured out some things to change with acclimation next ones will go better! I might also have a few replacement brownies for you with your other frags. ;)
I didn't even take notice of the stag this morning when I went down to top up the tank before work. Either it hadn't changed or it was gone and I'm so used to seeing ghostly white skeletons in there by now...

But! I am not removing any of them until they start either A. growing algae on the skeleton or B. have lost every last bit of flesh.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait...replacement brownies are a thing?

OP
OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not, but KJO had some problems that we're working on and I had a couple brownies left over. KJOfan has had a rough go this time around. :(

RUNVS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have had pretty good success using a bit of superglue over any spot that shows stn/rtn A few of mine showed a small amount of RTN and I used superglue over the spots and it has stopped for the past 4 days now. I have done this in the past with more success than not just an idea.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back