The BUBBLES in the Bubble Tip Anemone: Do you care?

In your experience how often are the tips of your BTA bubbly?

• All the time

Votes: 51 8.3%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 105 17.1%
  • Some of the time

Votes: 124 20.2%
  • Not much at all

Votes: 134 21.8%
  • NONE

Votes: 54 8.8%
  • Don't own a Bubble Tip Anemone

Votes: 146 23.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One topic we've seen consistent over the years is about the "bubbles" of the bubble tip anemone and how to keep them bubbly! But how much do you really care about them being bubbly? Let's talk about it!

1. Do you care or not if your bubble tip anemones tips are bubbly?

2. Are the tips of your BTA's mostly bubbled or not?

image via @isaacalves
1AB53E87-72FA-428E-80D9-BF25E861EE9C.jpeg

Nhigby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren't. It's a crap shoot. But I do care if they never are bubbly because until I got my alk stable, they were never bubbly so if they go days not being bubbly I know to check my alk.
Oh that's interesting! Where do you typically keep your ALK levels at, if you don't mind my asking.

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll post some pics later but I bought mine without bubbles. It had them then lost them for a couple months. And recently it’s got them again on and off. I’ve attributed it to ample light and feedings. There kept at the top of hydra 26’s separated from an aqueon lid which definatly hampers total light output but I’ve never measured. I’d guess it’s around 150-200par. I’ve fed silversides, mysis, brine, and cocktail shrimp. I’ve noticed the best results when feeding cut up cocktail shrimp.

Tmart83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had great bubbles on my RBTA when I first got it, then it started moving around. Finally the turd parked itself right in front of my powerhead and flops around like one of those things I'm front of a gas station!!! Its split 3 times since I got it almost a year ago and all 3 hang out in front of the heavy flow. Sucks because it was a beautiful nem when I did its job in the beginning.

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to get an RBTA with no bubbles. I personally don't like the look of the bubbles compared to strands. Just my opinion. From what I have seen, I prefer the movement of the anemone's strands and the clownfish just swimming all up in it. Just more aesthetically pleasing to me.

Bellamy803

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be fully apex/trident setup here in the next few days and will have the ability to watch the levels and see if its water params that cause my BTA and LTA both go through daily changes.......

For the MOST PART they follow my light schedule though.....just before lights on they open up. They are HUGE through ramp up and through the peak part of the day. About 1-2 hours during ramp down they will slightly shrink. Lights out they look like popped balloons. That is the norm. There are times they will be open at night but not as much as I would like since I view my tank in the evenings anyways.

Looking forward to having some solid water param data on a daily basis and I am hoping flattening the swing on each parameter will give all of these guys a chance to be in full bloom at all times. I do know they have to rest and go through a process each day. And I am ok with that. Just as long as something that I can control isn't causing them to do something otherwise they wouldn,t.

I will say this!!!! My BTA split within the first 2 months!!!! It was no larger than a softball when it did! Pretty pumped about that. The purple tip LTA I got at the size of a softball 3-4 months ago. It’s the size of a basketball now. Id love for it to split but I’ve read they are not really known for it. I’ll keep my fingers crossed because it’s just a monster at this point. (I had a 6” powder tang get sick the other night. I started a QT but by the time I got back home to move the purp nem had swallowed him hole ) I pulled him out since I didn’t want a rotting fish in the system but holy crap. What an experience for a guy who’s only been doing this 6-7 months now )

BC863E25-89BC-4412-AB53-210CA818FBCF.jpeg A04DB1B5-49D2-40DA-80E0-13A5D1B228A2.jpeg

Last edited:

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t get why some bubble/ others don’t , my anemone in the cup is always bubbled (maybe low flow?) i wish they alll had bubbles but I still love them haha

Attachments

• 463B1BF8-C07B-4A14-B4A9-D24CB5258FEF.jpeg
    463B1BF8-C07B-4A14-B4A9-D24CB5258FEF.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 175

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have studied these creatures for a long time across multiple tanks. This is probably one of the most debated topics.
Very high flow will cause them to lose their bubbles. This I have found to be true nearly 100% of the time. I don't think its a problem but I prefer them with bubbles.
Too high of light will also cause it. Attached are some photos of some different experiments I have done with different bubble tips, if anyone has questions feel free to ask. I have had thousands of them over the years.
This ones in my profile picture are from a different tank. I do not feed my nems.
1616530765277.png
1616530822756.png

1616530823743.png

1616531033151.png

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 46 82.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back