The Christal Caves 60g Cube (My Tank thread)

• Thread starter camajestic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Nibejeebies

R2R is the reason for my Insomia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries. I'm already adding biweekly supplements of zoo and phyto (in with my coral slurry, Devon at TAQ apparently has successfully had one now for over a year only dosing their store reef cafe stuff) when I broadcast feed the two tanks for corals. He shouldn't have any issues getting fiddles.
IMG_7652.JPG

OP
OP
C

camajestic

View Badges
R.i.P my little Gomez (the male to my paired maroon clowns)..... he was never the best swimmer and spent most of his time swimming on the sand bed, but still a great fish. we got home after the frag swap to find him hiding tight up in the rock work (very very odd for him). During stocking of the new hauls from the swap he swam face first into the tube anemone. He was stung and it ended up killing him. We pulled him into a basket in the tank to find something in the tank had attacked him while we were gone. We think this is why he was hiding. But, I find that so odd since it's been over a week since anything new had been placed in the tank.

I know he's "just a fish" , but it broke my heart lossing him. Him and morticia were my first purchase.

The only fish in the tank during the time span of when the "attack" could of happened was:
2 Maroon clowns (been together since before I got them)
2 purple fire fish ( since September 18th in the tank)
1 Canary blenny ( since September 18th in the tank)
1 highfin goby(about Two months With the clowns)
1 basket star (since September 18th in the tank very peaceful)
1 pistol shrimp paired with the goby ( since September 18th in the tank)

IMG_4896.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Beautiful fish!

Notoriously weak swimmers, while at the same time some of the most well known in terms of ferociousness.

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's sad that he died, I'm thinking he started getting wore out and just couldn't get away from something that was attacking, I believe it was a crab.
He wasn't swimming very well once we got home and he kind of drifted into the tube nem... he may have already been on his way to death when he went into the nem.

I buried him this evening.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this happend last night.

IMG_7911.JPG

IMG_7869.JPG

I fear she may love it to death.
It looks nice but maroon clownfish is known to be hard on hosting an anemone , I would just keep a watch on it because as small as the anemone is the clown fish could kill it " without of meaning to of coarse".They are rough hosting an anemone.Good Luck.

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_8872.JPG
IMG_8786.JPG
IMG_8841.JPG
IMG_8880.JPG
IMG_8881.JPG

IMG_8868.JPG

Stock List:
One Marron Clown- Morticia with her RBTA
One HighFin Goby - Smith
1 Red Pistol Shrimp- Wesson (see what I did there?)
1 Starry Blenny- Orion
2 purple fire fish- Bubble & Gum
1 Bangi Cardinal- Strips
1 tux urchin - Maleficent
1 nars snail - gravedigger (was 3 but ... hermits)
6 blue + 6 red hermits - each has a name but due to R2R family friendly rules I won't be posting here.
3 emeralds crabs- Clamps, Pinchy, Citizen Snips
1 sally light foot crab- Creepy AF

Corals And Such
First and foremost most we have the RTBA that's Trippled in size since we got it. (in the top down I had just fed her some clams)

Blue maxima clam with great mantle extension and signs of new shell growth.

Tube Nem - it just had to decided to park itself some where where I can't possibly reach to retrieve it, feed it, but I can see it. I attempted to "blow it out" by pointing the return there but all I did was make it burrow so it's there to stay I guess. Food does pass by there and I can still see and enjoy it, so yea.

New polyps of the zoas appearing all the time.

GSP appears to be growing and doing well, however the Mint colored smaller polyped star polyps doesn't seem to have grown much at all. Despite being positioned near the gsp.

Recodia mushrooms at times look like they are large enough to use as a dinner plate for a child.

The acan in partial shade had great polyp extention and beautiful coloration, unfortualyy I can't really get a good angle for a picture, I'll keep trying. You can kind of see it in the top down, blue and orange.

Duncan coral seems to be POed 75% of the day, but when it extends it looks amazing.

The trumpets started as 2 heads, now has 4.

Chateo is keeping nitrates and phosphates in control, nitrates sit around 5-6, I don't have a UL Phos checker so it always says 0 for me, keeping CA around 420, dKh at 9.0.

Not really dosing anything to this tank either maintaining with 10% WC every Sunday.

I check the dKh through out the week just to keep an eye on every thing if dKh drops below 8.8 I may add some 2part but that's been rare, think maybe once since we've set the tank up.

Well let the comments come!

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_8872.JPG
IMG_8786.JPG
IMG_8841.JPG
IMG_8880.JPG
IMG_8881.JPG

IMG_8868.JPG

Stock List:
One Marron Clown- Morticia with her RBTA
One HighFin Goby - Smith
1 Red Pistol Shrimp- Wesson (see what I did there?)
1 Starry Blenny- Orion
2 purple fire fish- Bubble & Gum
1 Bangi Cardinal- Strips
1 tux urchin - Maleficent
1 nars snail - gravedigger (was 3 but ... hermits)
6 blue + 6 red hermits - each has a name but due to R2R family friendly rules I won't be posting here.
3 emeralds crabs- Clamps, Pinchy, Citizen Snips
1 sally light foot crab- Creepy AF

Corals And Such
First and foremost most we have the RTBA that's Trippled in size since we got it. (in the top down I had just fed her some clams)

Blue maxima clam with great mantle extension and signs of new shell growth.

Tube Nem - it just had to decided to park itself some where where I can't possibly reach to retrieve it, feed it, but I can see it. I attempted to "blow it out" by pointing the return there but all I did was make it burrow so it's there to stay I guess. Food does pass by there and I can still see and enjoy it, so yea.

New polyps of the zoas appearing all the time.

GSP appears to be growing and doing well, however the Mint colored smaller polyped star polyps doesn't seem to have grown much at all. Despite being positioned near the gsp.

Recodia mushrooms at times look like they are large enough to use as a dinner plate for a child.

The acan in partial shade had great polyp extention and beautiful coloration, unfortualyy I can't really get a good angle for a picture, I'll keep trying. You can kind of see it in the top down, blue and orange.

Duncan coral seems to be POed 75% of the day, but when it extends it looks amazing.

The trumpets started as 2 heads, now has 4.

Chateo is keeping nitrates and phosphates in control, nitrates sit around 5-6, I don't have a UL Phos checker so it always says 0 for me, keeping CA around 420, dKh at 9.0.

Not really dosing anything to this tank either maintaining with 10% WC every Sunday.

I check the dKh through out the week just to keep an eye on every thing if dKh drops below 8.8 I may add some 2part but that's been rare, think maybe once since we've set the tank up.

Well let the comments come!
Looking good!! How's the nem with the clown?

Nibejeebies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!! How's the nem with the clown?
Like love and marriage. She protects the nem, and then she proceeds to fluff the nem. When we first got it I thought oh lord here we go she's going to love it to death, but the symbiosis is perfect.

Oh got a good shot of the Acan this morning but it's with a yellow filter so not the best but we can get the idea of coloration ;

IMG_8885.JPG

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the values so far. Between the live water,sand,rock, and the bacterial additives I kind of think it's ready for the clowns and watch it closely...

But First...
I'm going to put in some liquid Ammoina some time today ans bring it to 0.5ppm and test every other hour to watch it's progress and see if it's actually cycled since there hasn't been a spike.

image.png
did this test your water for you or did is this an app where you enter your test results?

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did this test your water for you or did is this an app where you enter your test results?

You leave a vial of the water sample out on a table and the reefer elves come in and pick it up at night. By morning the data has been uploaded into your phone. You get fancy graphs and charts and all sorts of data. Pretty sweet program. You should check it out.

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You leave a vial of the water sample out on a table and the reefer elves come in and pick it up at night. By morning the data has been uploaded into your phone. You get fancy graphs and charts and all sorts of data. Pretty sweet program. You should check it out.
I would pay a lot of money for that :)

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:eek::confused::D

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like love and marriage. She protects the nem, and then she proceeds to fluff the nem. When we first got it I thought oh lord here we go she's going to love it to death, but the symbiosis is perfect.

Oh got a good shot of the Acan this morning but it's with a yellow filter so not the best but we can get the idea of coloration ;

IMG_8885.JPG
I see a bubble algae!!!!!!!!!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back