The Classic 90

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm translating this build thread over to R2R - I'll do some back history, and then current status updates (with large gaps in between, oops). I'm planning on massively upgrading this tank this year, but it does need some history to show whats what :)

Feb 2019

reeflog-2019-02-06-1.jpg

Jan 2019:

reeflog-2019-01-09-1.jpg

---------------------------------

front.jpg

Over 12 years old in the same exact spot (moved once), and only revamped internally a few times this SPS-heavy mixed reef has been around the block quite a few times.

Sept 2016 technical specs:

- All Glass Aquarium 90 gallon "Megaflow" tank, using the stock drain and return plumbing
- AGA "Mission" series stand in Cherry
- Custom made (DIY) 40G acrylic sump with refuge
- Custom "LEDBrick" LED lights, now using a mix of LED panels blueAcro AcroStars with the original driver arrangement
- 2x Vortech MP40-QD, 1x Vectra M1 return pump
- JBJ Artica 1/5HP chiller
- Ancient Korralin C1502 calcium reactor fed by a Masterflex pump
- Vertex Omega 130 skimmer
- Neptune Apex for temp control, monitoring pH and Ca reactor control

Some of the livestock in this tank is quite old:

- Had a Flame Angel for 12 years who recently just passed
- 13 year old Derasa clam (got it when it was tiny, now about 14" long)
- Liverock from Florida started life in my first 55g over 12 years ago.

More on the livestock in a later post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all started with this shoestring budget used 55g in college. Stand was 4x4s (way overbuilt) and never framed in:

reeflog-16-09-03-1.jpg

The clam in question when first introduced in the 55g, at this point it was lit by dual 250W 14k Phoenix MH bulbs.

reeflog-16-09-03-2.jpg

The first move into the 90g which started life in a third floor apartment before moving to the final house. This was lit by 6x54W overdriven T5s:

reeflog-16-09-03-3.jpg

This is the montipora tower I took out awhile back. The base had finally broken in a cleaning and it needed to be puled. As much of the base had died, I recycled it into my calcium reactor.

tower1.jpg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that looks great and thanks for sharing the progression pictures with us

The tank looks beautiful

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what does the tank look like today?

reeflog-2019-01-09-1.jpg

What happened?

I had a number of personal and family health issues which meant things declined, but for the most part I was hit with a giant invasion of those same green stripe mushrooms. They smothered all of my zoas, and were growing and smothering the bases of most of the other acropora, leading to a very slow motion massive dieoff. Major bummer.

I did a bit of reset over the holidays, removing a ton of mushrooms via both peroxide (35%) injections into their mouths, as well as full rock removal and taking cutters to the rock to remove their bases. Lots of work.

As part of that I removed the previous tower of Monitpora Caps, and made a larger space for the Derasa clam, which continue to be... as happy as a clam and growing.

A few of the surviving acropora include the miyagi tort (the blue coloration is a bit more faded, but the green is brilliant), the Medusa's bane stag (getting some purple back into it) and ... the other stubby one.

reeflog-2019-01-09-2.jpg

I added some new LPS pieces and a few new zoas. The flame-fin tang continues to be extra shy.

reeflog-2019-01-09-3.jpg

Miyagi tort with its super brilliant green.

reeflog-2019-01-09-4.jpg

This bowerbanki has exploded in size. Its feeding mode is pretty much all day every day now.

reeflog-2019-01-09-5.jpg

And a quick shot of the shrimp murdering melanurus wrasse

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reeflog-2019-01-09-6.jpg

The meduas's bane is basically at the water level now.

reeflog-2019-01-09-7.jpg

Purple coloration is coming back to this slow growing acro, one of the few to survive the GSM plague.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rebooted my Masterflex pump driving the Calcium reactor - for about a year I was using the return plumbing again, which is... far too inconsistent of a flow, as the effulent valve inevitably calcifies and clog. I had switched back since I somehow ended up with a broken EasyLoad II head (it was... likely very well worn and used). I replaced the head and loaded a new chunk of 1/4" OD Norprene tubing in (I have like 50ft, will last a lifetime). Inevitably I will need to re-calibrate the drip rate for demand, but it was mostly whacked anyway and starting to creep up above 10dKh, where I normally keep it at 8. The upside of a Ca reactor is its easy to adjust the rate so I can move back down towards 8 over weeks.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small progress snapshot

reeflog-2019-02-06-1.jpg

No major changes, just stabilization. I'm going to be picking up an order from the folks over at YourReef tomorrow, so expect some frags - some of which will live here, and some of which will transfer over to my new 22g.

The Medusa's bane has been coloring up nicely of late. I've evicted my urchin to the sump as he was doing nothing but eating coraline off of rocks - colors there have much improved. My eradication of green stripe mushrooms still has baby mushrooms sprouting up, requiring me to go in with the stainless steel pick and bone cutters to cut off what I can about once a week.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a GSP carpet on the back wall?

The color is gorgeous! And that clam is rad :)

Yup! It was growing a bit inconsistently as the urchin kept on upsetting the margins of it trying to eat more coraline. Its been filling in a lot better once a good layer of coraline ends up on the glass.

I do have to peel it off the rock work from time to time.

U

User1

View Badges
We are in the same area so wanted to ask - what or where is YourReef? Or is it a person? If person just ignore me :) If it is a shop, is it any good and the location? Not much around here but then again I've not really shopped locally lately.

U

User1

View Badges
John over at https://www.yourreef.com/ / @YourReef - they're up on Cirby in Roseville. Lots of stock from his captive systems and others.

I really need to update the tank pictures, lots of frags are currently acclimating on the bottom :)

Oh - I'm a dork. I thought that was called foothills or something /palmtoforhead

I stopped by there one time in December I think. I work at the HPE/DXC campus near by so saw it out of the corner of my eye one day and stopped in. Got it. Yeah - I need to pick up some frags or something after I finish clearing out my GHA and other mess I made. The joys of using dry pukani, phosphates, and travel - tank goes to mess and takes forever to mature.

If/when you have time - please let me know what you think of the frags and overall price (local vs. say online). I'm interested and it is always nice to support the locals.

OP
OP
theatrus

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to replace this tank - it’s getting old. Also had a mass RTN incident awhile back, just starting to regrow the SPS.

Some snapshots.

APC_0405.jpeg
APC_0429.jpeg
APC_0426.jpeg
APC_0421.jpeg

If you wonder what happened to the clam, it was a COVID related casualty back in late 2020. Still have the massive shell.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back