OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's already more. If you had searched for the bill you would have found them.
Every time you post something on R2R, it brings up similar and relevant posts. I didnt see any post asking if members had also recieved this communication from Salgados. :)

Regarding the legislation it references, if this thread in anyway engages people to understand the bill, it's potential impact, and what they can do to affect it, I am happy.

Last edited:

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like importing should be haulted for a extended period of time regardless. We have soooooo many species that are able to be propagated in the hobby already,and have been propagated for decades.

As reef keepers,this shouldn't even be a debate. We all know reefs are declining,so why can't we as a hobby quit picking at them and let them be ?! They won't be around for too much longer anywho.

I LOVE coral,and always will but sometimes we need to step back and look at the bigger picture and relaize we are possibly doing to the reefs.

Make companies with aquaculture license do their part and keep growing stuff in farms. This is just my opinion.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3D Cinema 4D GIF by Pi-Slices

Y'all need to take an entire bottle of chill pills.

In the US, money talks and bullcrap walks.

They ain't shutting down industries worth billions of dollars supporting hundreds of thousands of jobs.

Washington is run by LOBBYISTS. I dont care what this Bill says, it ain't happening bc the Industry would make these Politicians un-electable if they took away jobs

Y'all need to worry your butts off about more important things like your dang no3 and po4 levels.

Matthew Broderick Jewish GIF

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like importing should be haulted for a extended period of time regardless. We have soooooo many species that are able to be propagated in the hobby already,and have been propagated for decades.

As reef keepers,this shouldn't even be a debate. We all know reefs are declining,so why can't we as a hobby quit picking at them and let them be ?! They won't be around for too much longer anywho.

I LOVE coral,and always will but sometimes we need to step back and look at the bigger picture and relaize we are possibly doing to the reefs.

Make companies with aquaculture license do their part and keep growing stuff in farms. This is just my opinion.
Personally, I do not agree with this. If a people group doesn't have an incentive (Usually monetary) to protect a reef, they will not... This generally results in the degrading of a reef. If they can make $ to support their families by growing and harvesting reef products, they will enact rules in their community to protect it.

In addition, the more coral diversity that is made available in the hobby, the better for the survival of the corals.

There are probably some corals that this does not apply to..

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They ain't shutting down industries worth billions of dollars supporting hundreds of thousands of jobs.

Washington is run by LOBBYISTS. I dont care what this Bill says, it ain't happening bc the Industry would make these Politicians un-electable if they took away jobs

Y'all need to worry your butts off about more important things like your dang no3 and po4 levels.

I wonder, how big is the ocean fish and coral growing / selling industry... I really don't think it is that big, comparatively, but I don't know.

Over the last 40 years that I have been reef keeping, there have been more and more laws controlling the industry. This is probably good, however, when new restrictions are discussed as potential laws, I think it warrants those who may be affected, be made aware and do what they can to make sure the law is a good one.

Laws can be misused.. It is always good to know what they are and how you can voice your opinion, to influence them.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do we live in a different US or something because from what I've seen recently if the government wants to ban something, they will.

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do we live in a different US or something because from what I've seen recently if the government wants to ban something, they will.
There is a great "School House Rock" from the early 80s that covers this. :)

State representatives progress bills before they become laws. And representatives are influenced by constituents. Especially if they are contacted via email or letter :)

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concerns are regarding the non reefing public and politicians not understanding that the collection of reef animals can be sustainable. They dont relize that the actual major risks to reefs are:
  • Human microbes from septic fields and other forms of direct human to coral exposure.
  • The rapid increase in ocean water temperature and related storms
  • Agricultural nutrient run off

The reefing community is a lightning rod for anything bad that happens to coral reefs. And this law, could be easily modified to capitalize on the preception.
Ironically, sustainably managed ornamental fisheries do a lot more good for the local reefs than bad since they encourage a more lucrative and less impactful way to utilize coral/fish resources than food fishing or mining limestone would. This is the single best argument in favor of opening up and regulating fisheries/reefs to collections everywhere, maybe even in some areas of the Caribbean.

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ironically, sustainably managed ornamental fisheries do a lot more good for the local reefs than bad since they encourage a more lucrative and less impactful way to utilize coral/fish resources than food fishing or mining limestone would. This is the single best argument in favor of opening up and regulating fisheries/reefs to collections everywhere, maybe even in some areas of the Caribbean.
Absolutely.. I think the same principal applies to the Caribbean.. I would love to buy some sustainably grown Acropora Palmata. :)

Have wanted some since I was a little kid.

Willu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I do not agree with this. If a people group doesn't have an incentive (Usually monetary) to protect a reef, they will not... This generally results in the degrading of a reef. If they can make $ to support their families by growing and harvesting reef products, they will enact rules in their community to protect it.

In addition, the more coral diversity that is made available in the hobby, the better for the survival of the corals.

There are probably some corals that this does not apply to..
I agree. This sort of reminds me of what Cory from aquarium Co-Op(big name FW retailer with a large social media presence) said regarding the reasoning on why he doesn't always just get certain captive-bred species like Neon tetras, which basically was that other industries will take over areas where fish collection take place and destroy the habitats, in particular, forestry which is a big deal in the Amazon.

OP
OP
Ben Pedersen

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plz provide comparable examples and facts rather than spreading fear-mongering
If you read the first post, I asked if anyone else got this email? Not sure how that is fear mongering :)

Unless you are fearful that you also got that email.. :)

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you read the first post, I asked if anyone else got this email? Not sure how that is fear mongering :)

Unless you are fearful that you also got that email.. :)
Not direct at you... but the fear ppl are displaying is an overplay. Let's cross out the mongering part.

Its the dead of winter,ppl are bored and getting juiced over this

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y’all scaring me ( attempted to read the bill but it isn’t playing nice with mobile ) so let me know if my understanding is correct.

this bill will effectively ban wildlife imports except for animals on a white list. However animals can get on the white list of there are a certain amount of them being imported?

or do I just need to hop over to the lfs right now, buy all of their stock and that’s all I will ever get?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Y’all scaring me ( attempted to read the bill but it isn’t playing nice with mobile ) so let me know if my understanding is correct.

this bill will effectively ban wildlife imports except for animals on a white list. However animals can get on the white list of there are a certain amount of them being imported?

or do I just need to hop over to the lfs right now, buy all of their stock and that’s all I will ever get?
Lol, it's all good, this law has no teeth. It's vague, It's for show....wait till double points Wednesday, and do your usual.

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, it's all good, this law has no teeth. It's vague, It's for show....wait till double points Wednesday, and do your usual.
Thank you, I was starting to get freaked out, it seems like a mixed bag of people saying the fish and reptile hobby’s are going down, and people saying that this meant nothing.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back