The final WWC interview with the 293gal mixed reef tank! - The BRS/WWC System Ep4 | BRStv

Do you think mixed reefs are harder to keep than SPS dominant?

• Yes

Votes: 23 65.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 34.3%

• Total voters

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

Today we're wrapping up the interviews with Josh @WWC who walks us through their recipe for maintaining the stunning 293gal mixed reef in their front lobby. Many of the practices are the same, but with some slight modifications to accommodate the sand and wide diversity of coral's individual needs.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just noticed their calcium levels are at 480ppm. Is that generally considered high? Obviously works here but I thought people generally advise lower, around 430.

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll buy the ICP test if WWC will send one in. I am interested to see how close to natural seawater we actually need to be to get these results.

GrouperBait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While their other stick tanks were kind of cool, I definitely thought this tank was probably the most similar to most reefers. Harder than sps dominant? Yeah right. Not everyone has access to limitless radion’s and ecotech powerheads. So if you only have 2 lights and 2 powerheads, then that’s not a limitation...that’s an opportunity! Use those shadows and lack of flow for a softie or LPS that likes that spot! Dirty water and poor maintenance? No problem...just lay off the trademarked acros! This hobby is awesome...there is something for everyone!
Ps, when you’re in the South, it’s ok to say “yalls”. It sounds 20,000 times better than “you guyzes”!! And speaking of 20k, November 1 can’t come soon enough!

Kindred

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appericate this video series, direct information on how some of the best tanks are run. Can’t wait to see brs take on their set up based on this. I really loved the mixed tank, was shocked to see how low the par was on such an amazing system.

Greaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to say the BRS 160 is hard to look at with so much shimmer. Those diffusers help a ton.

This last tank, they use carbon, live rock, and water changes to maintain nutrients. Seems easy enough, no refugium and no skimmer, would we consider the tank lightly stocked?

pfoxgrover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is WWC using one of the heavier sands like Carib Sea special grade or Tropic Marin reef flakes to minimize sand movement? Which sand are they using?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed their calcium levels are at 480ppm. Is that generally considered high? Obviously works here but I thought people generally advise lower, around 430.

Yes, many reefers seem to aim for lower calcium levels than WWC, but I wouldn't say that there is only one specific number that is correct. Many tanks thrive within a larger range of Cal/Alk/Mag levels, these levels are what WWC uses and has trusted for years. :)

I’ll buy the ICP test if WWC will send one in. I am interested to see how close to natural seawater we actually need to be to get these results.

From a major element standpoint, they do seem to run higher than NSW. It would be interesting to see where they test for Trace/Minor elements!

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is WWC using one of the heavier sands like Carib Sea special grade or Tropic Marin reef flakes to minimize sand movement? Which sand are they using?

If memory serves me, it did seem a bit more fine than something like CaribSea Special Grade, but maybe @WWC can chime in and tell us for sure. (I'm sure they've had a busy weekend with RAP CA. :) )

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appericate this video series, direct information on how some of the best tanks are run. Can’t wait to see brs take on their set up based on this. I really loved the mixed tank, was shocked to see how low the par was on such an amazing system.
To me, the take-away from video series like this, or in looking at examples of how the best tanks are run, is that the #1 key to success is stability over time.

Many of us, from WWC to the guy with the 50gal in his living room, set our tanks up roughly the same way.

The difference is in two areas, and they end up bringing us to the stability over time key to success:

1) Have a plan and stick to it- know what it takes to get the system into the environmental range favorable to coral survival and growth, and more importantly, be able to keep it there. And not only keep it within that range, but keep parameters more or less stable and consistent

2) Play from ahead- the veterans know how to prevent problems, swings, etc, or nip them in the bud before they can manifest. Those newer to the hobby are often reacting too late, and it becomes difficult to achieve stability.

The details, IMO...again, IMO...are not critical. WWC having their Radions 20” above the tank and us keeping ours 16” above isn’t the determining factor. WWC having their alk @ 8.2 (or whatever it was) and us having ours @ 8.8 isn’t the determining factor. Coral is pretty adaptable and fairly forgiving as long as we don’t pull them too far in one direction or the other. And most corals can handle some swings. But it would rather just have a balanced and stable environment all the time.

Our planning and execution of husbandry should always be aimed at achieving that balance and stability. At that point, the corals will settle into their groove and (usually) take off.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this was by far my fav. tank of the 3. but that's because I love LPS more than sticks. :D

love the sand bed in this one. i know they can be a pain to clean but it just looks better IMHO not that BB on the others did not. it just looks softer and happier somehow. that said I am going back in forth on BB or sand on my reboot DT.

thanks for showing off your tanks @WWC and @BRS for taking the time for putting these together.
I love Casper perfect name such a cool fish!

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do WWC run their light schedule the way they do?
I don't get the wider spectrum early on for 5 hours followed by 7 hours of uv, violets and blues.
I know the schedule is based on AB+ but why not just run AB+ for the full 12 hours?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do WWC run their light schedule the way they do?
I don't get the wider spectrum early on for 5 hours followed by 7 hours of uv, violets and blues.
I know the schedule is based on AB+ but why not just run AB+ for the full 12 hours?

This is likely more aimed at the needs/desires for them as a business. They've seem to found a balance for growth and coloration while making the corals look awesome to customers wandering the store, by splitting the spectrum into two distinct parts. :) It seems to work pretty darn good!

Pennywise the Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is likely more aimed at the needs/desires for them as a business. They've seem to found a balance for growth and coloration while making the corals look awesome to customers wandering the store, by splitting the spectrum into two distinct parts. :) It seems to work pretty darn good!
Thanks Randy.
After visiting the store whilst on vacation from the UK I can definitely see it works. I have set my own version up on my Hydra 26''s using the new BRS AB+ spectrum for the first part of the schedule followed by the blues/violets only for the rest of the day.
I was just interested in the theory behind their lighting schedule. Let's hope I am half as successful as WWC.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back