The Future of MTRC

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Clarksville, too! Well, I work here. I actually live about an hour west in Waverly.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the club. Joined January 1 (still waiting on a membership card). I was reading back through this thread and thought of a couple of things.

First, I literally did not know this club existed until I found it through either Reef2Reef or Google on my own initiative. I'm sure some of the lfs that we hold meetings at would be willing to post small fliers. If they are there, I haven't seen them meaning either 1) they weren't flashy enough to catch my attention while being distracted by everything I want to buy (like everyone else in the store would be) or 2) placement is poor. I think the advertising angle would go a long way towards increasing membership, and consequently, active participation.

Second, to increase meeting membership, I would provide more than just the time and location. The February meeting blurb literally just gives date, time, location, and a friendly sign off (not a rip at novajohn). I know people like myself that live ~1.5 hours away aren't enticed solely by going to a fish store they can go to any other day (except Sundays ;)... made that mistake more than once). And more so, new members that haven't been to a meeting have no idea what to expect from "this date, this time, this place".

Also, why not something outside of the hobbyist's house or fish store? Maybe not an official meeting, but I'm not opposed to just meeting up at one of Nashville's many bars to throw a few back, get some social lubricant, meet new people, and talk reefs.

Third, I've been trying to respond to random threads on our MTRC message board (hopefully not annoyingly so) to try to get some activity. I think that having the online network will definitely help with having the real world network. I check this board way too many times a day to no avail. Maybe something like a monthly topic that everyone can discuss? I think (and sympathize) that it's hard to bring people to our little sub forum when there's a wealth of knowledge just a few tabs over.

Hopefully all of this isn't out of place; no offense meant. Just some suggestions from a noob to both the club and the hobby.

Richard Schmidt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well:
My memory is shorter then one of my body parts. :)
Told the "Boss" (read wife) I was going to "Emerald Bay" today to return Par meter there.
She asked me to return on of my new corals because she did not think it was bright enough (I'm color blind), so I bagged the coral got a water sample and off to the store I went.
No more than I walked into the store it struck me "You dumb crap you forgot the Par meter".
I'm sorry, I will be going back to the shop on Friday and just put the Par meter in the car so I can't forget it this time.
Again forgetting to return this to the club is entirely my fault.
Hope everyone has a good day and a happy Reef.

Rick

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the club. Joined January 1 (still waiting on a membership card). I was reading back through this thread and thought of a couple of things.

First, I literally did not know this club existed until I found it through either Reef2Reef or Google on my own initiative. I'm sure some of the lfs that we hold meetings at would be willing to post small fliers. If they are there, I haven't seen them meaning either 1) they weren't flashy enough to catch my attention while being distracted by everything I want to buy (like everyone else in the store would be) or 2) placement is poor. I think the advertising angle would go a long way towards increasing membership, and consequently, active participation.

Second, to increase meeting membership, I would provide more than just the time and location. The February meeting blurb literally just gives date, time, location, and a friendly sign off (not a rip at novajohn). I know people like myself that live ~1.5 hours away aren't enticed solely by going to a fish store they can go to any other day (except Sundays ;)... made that mistake more than once). And more so, new members that haven't been to a meeting have no idea what to expect from "this date, this time, this place".

Also, why not something outside of the hobbyist's house or fish store? Maybe not an official meeting, but I'm not opposed to just meeting up at one of Nashville's many bars to throw a few back, get some social lubricant, meet new people, and talk reefs.

Third, I've been trying to respond to random threads on our MTRC message board (hopefully not annoyingly so) to try to get some activity. I think that having the online network will definitely help with having the real world network. I check this board way too many times a day to no avail. Maybe something like a monthly topic that everyone can discuss? I think (and sympathize) that it's hard to bring people to our little sub forum when there's a wealth of knowledge just a few tabs over.

Hopefully all of this isn't out of place; no offense meant. Just some suggestions from a noob to both the club and the hobby.

Also as a noob here, I agree. I didn't know MTRC existed until I was browsing thru RC forums (which I definitely prefer R2R forums) topics and found the local organizations. I also saw that the group disbanded from the RC forums due to some personal type issue or something that caused an uproar...and a message stating to go to Reef2Reef forums...where I then found the groups forum. But, there was no activity on the forum...just really old posts. Now, I wouldn't expect big reefing questions to be posed there since the main forums get more visibility (if you are looking for an answer to a question), but I would expect some activity about meetings, the meeting topics, maybe a synopsis of what occured at the last meeting? You know, something that would let noobs like me (who are looking for local people) to see that the meetings are productive and helpful to attend.

I think the BoD are in a very, very difficult position! After reading some of the threads above...I would suspect that the reason there is minimal people attending the meetings is because of the huge area that Middle Tennessee covers! I'm not sure when the meetings are normally scheduled, but when you live an hour or more away from where the meeting is scheduled to be (and I like the idea of LFS, etc...) then it is really tough to be able to travel that far. I saw one was in Murfreesboro...I love going to Murfreesboro, but it is 1.5 hours away from me...and that's a bit hard to justify for a meeting and group that I didn't know anything about yet. I've been to Aquatic Critter a few times...awesome place, but again 1.5 hours away for me. I haven't been to Emerald Bay yet...but I have been wanting to go check it out! I have seen that Clarksville Reef and Reptile hosted a meeting before...I was kind of waiting to see when there was going to be another meeting in this area or a closer area in Nashville to try to attend first. Having some local people in the area to talk to and "show" first hand your problem or question would be invaluable, though.

I saw in a post earlier in the thread about the group previously meeting at a member's house. That would be awesome to see different tank setups, etc... (especially for me as a newbie)...but if the group really is 100 strong, and even if 15-20% showed up, that would be hard to host!

I guess all I can really do is give the BoD encouragement to keep up the work they are doing and trying to accomplish. They are in a really tough spot...and I think geography is their biggest problem to try to overcome!

novajohn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input on meeting posts,we try to have meetings on the 2nd Saturday of every month,I liked the meetings at the stores so everyone could get great deals on whatever they wanted while we were there,hopefully people will host meetings at their homes but its hard to for people to be comfortable with 10-30 people in their homes for a meeting

novajohn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well:
My memory is shorter then one of my body parts. :)
Told the "Boss" (read wife) I was going to "Emerald Bay" today to return Par meter there.
She asked me to return on of my new corals because she did not think it was bright enough (I'm color blind), so I bagged the coral got a water sample and off to the store I went.
No more than I walked into the store it struck me "You dumb crap you forgot the Par meter".
I'm sorry, I will be going back to the shop on Friday and just put the Par meter in the car so I can't forget it this time.
Again forgetting to return this to the club is entirely my fault.
Hope everyone has a good day and a happy Reef.

Rick
Its all good Richard,I have to write posted notes for stuff or I will forget lol....hows the tank doing?

sricorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input on meeting posts,we try to have meetings on the 2nd Saturday of every month,I liked the meetings at the stores so everyone could get great deals on whatever they wanted while we were there,hopefully people will host meetings at their homes but its hard to for people to be comfortable with 10-30 people in their homes for a meeting
Hi, are you having a meeting this Saturday 11th? what time? I would like to come and check out what is MTRC meeting all about. Do I need to be member just to check out?

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys this is an old topic. The club is actually doing pretty good. The Reef2Reef activity relies on you the hobbyist not the BOD this is your forum for you to talk and post everyday it is up to you to keep it active.

The last meeting was at Mikes house. So the club is taking that turn to bring meetings back to people's houses.

I'm not part of the BOD but I do try to help them with all the online stuff and I do sometimes post meeting updates from time to time.

Now let's close this old thread and go post on the forum. Have a great one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back