The Future of MTRC

pelagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I'm just thinking out loud. Let's identify a few things first

Problem: Low turn outs for the events, and low participation for the Club fairs.

so let's see, the goals/objectives for the clubs are
1. Form a community for the reef hobbyists in the middle tn area
2. Provide a place for the for the frag swap
I will say everything else is just cherry on the top

let's look at the objective 1, we have
1. Forum to Chat
2. Forum to Trade

3. Website for announcements
4. Club equipment that we share
5. Monthly Events

objective 2 we have
1. Forum
2. Frag Swap

Now, like the non-online super market like wal-mart, and others, they are suffering from losing business to the online stores.
People are buying/selling online more than ever. It's the same thing for the Reef Keepers.

I used to like to go to people's houses for the meetings cause I can trade/buy from the person, but now days, since I don't add corals anymore, I stopped going to the meetings.
Don't get me wrong, I love to social with the MTRC folks, everyone are very nice, but it got old after a couple years.

I think it's how people have changed over the years dealing more stuff online instead of in person. it's no one's fault.

The Good Sides
The Good Sides are.....
1. We have great turn out for the Frag Swaps
2. We have money in the MTRC bank account

Some Ideas
Here are some ideas I am throwing here
1. Change the frequency for the meetings to quarterly, and 4th one being the swap. Monthly meeting might just be too much. especially for the veteran reefers2. Let's start to spend the money... I don't know exactly we have, some ideas can be
a. nice raffle equipment (eg: the new ecotech dosing pump), I bet that gets people's attention.
b. or we can setup a easy to care fish tank for the child hospital or the whatever non-profit organizations
c. or we can do a pick of the quarter, order a nice piece of SPS, LPS, or Soft Coral, then frag it up and distribute the frags at the meeting.
3. By the way.. meeting is so offical.. can we call it something else? lol

I hope this helps, and thanks for your hard work.

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to reply to you Cheng.

1.) That idea was presented to the club last year and wasn't very popular, it's also not an idea that has died.

2.) This past year we've put a good sized dent into the bank account, we've been spending good money on raffle prizes, guest speakers. We also did a nice fragging demo at a meeting earlier this year with two acan colonies.

3.) Well, this year the meetings have been less formal and more informational, which were other things that have been asked for in the past.

While I don't disagree that other avenues to get your reefing fix have become more popular in the last few years, especially Facebook "reefing." But I much prefer to hang out and meet up with like minded people who understand the language. Maybe the days of Reef clubs has passed.

fishdoc11

It's a hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally like the idea of quarterly meetings with one being the swap. If that doesn't turn out to be often enough then maybe we could move it to every other month..

Also I love the idea of having a tank in a children's hospital but then we are stuck with who will be the primary caretaker etc...and we all know what a reef tank that isn't taken care of can turn into. I know the Memphis club had a tank at St Judes for a long time (may still) so if that's something people would be willing to do talking with them might be a good idea.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the whole sw club scene and we have a good group here. But I'm going on 5 years of running a disc golf league at my home course and let me tell ya it's not always been easy. 1st year I was lucky to have 3-4 other people, and like you I wanted more. Decided every person new I meet on the course I'd mention to and the numbers have only grown. From 3-4 in year 1 to an average of 14 last year with some nights hitting 20+. Goal is 17 this year but it's taken hard work and getting people to feel comfortable in playing no matter the skill level.

Keep spreading the word

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I for one would be up for quarterly meetings as well, this way I won't feel as bad missing as many as I have. Saturday afternoons can sometimes be hard for me to make do to other obligations. If we went to quarterly meetings then maybe more informal hangouts could happen at other times, like getting a group for dinner or something like that. I think it is all about developing community, and in this age we are in, that is just so hard to do.

I am thankful for the club, and the hard work that the BOD does to ensure that the Frag Swap and other meetings are handled in a professional way.

Facebook Reef Groups suck!

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be super cool to do some joint activities or meetings, the two communities, ETRC and MTRC! Tennessee has a huge reefing community, and some of the most active clubs on the site!

Merry Christmas you guys.

EvilMel

doesn't click links
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I've been in the hobby and on these forums since the beginning of both MTRC and ETRC. I agree with you that it's disheartening. I've watched the ebb and flow of the clubs in TN (though now I am in CT). The early days of our meetings and swaps are something that I think will probably never be duplicated. The amount of fun we had at those events is like lightening in a bottle...not sure it'll ever happen again. Having said that, I think we can enjoy the reef club scene now for what it is, while also trying to bring just a little bit more life to it each year.

I am super over this idea that you mostly cannot sell corals without some fancy name or limited edition tag but I can't sit here, shaking my fist about *these kids today*, sounding like an old fart about it. Like Randy used to always say "it is what it is." I think the most important thing is kinda what Chris is trying to say...gotta at least be somewhat happy with the state of your club currently because it's doing a lot better than some clubs are!

But you can always take small steps to improve things. Just recognize that all your efforts are not in vain and progress will be SLOW. It moves on a practically geological timescale. haha. Being on the board for years at a time does tend to sap your energy. You just gotta figure out some way to reinvigorate your enthusiasm for the club...if you're not interested as heck, no one else will be.

Maybe it starts with acceptance of where things are right now?

TangUVeryMuch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I think it's just scheduling. People get busy and don't prioritize it because they think they can come to the next one.
A second factor might be distance. You're having the next one in Clarksville. That's a haul for me from Hermitage. That's going to be the case for a variety of people though since we aren't just a Nashville club. We are a Middle Tennessee Club. Clarksville people probably feel similarly when we have it in Nashville. Maybe a compromise between the monthly meetings & the quarterly meetings would be having one every other month? January, March, May, July, September, & November.

Or maybe take one month off per quarter? So you'd have 8 meetings per year. That or accept that it will go up and down.

Last edited:

novajohn01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I think it's just scheduling. People get busy and don't prioritize it because they think they can come to the next one.
A second factor might be distance. You're having the next one in Clarksville. That's a haul for me from Hermitage. That's going to be the case for a variety of people though since we aren't just a Nashville club. We are a Middle Tennessee Club. Clarksville people probably feel similarly when we have it in Nashville. Maybe a compromise between the monthly meetings & the quarterly meetings would be having one every other month? January, March, May, July, September, & November.

Or maybe take one month off per quarter? So you'd have 8 meetings per year. That or accept that it will go up and down.
I'm driving from Lebanon if u need a ride give me a halla

TankedNTn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had the time to be involved. In the past year I've gotten divorced, sold my house, had to give up the hobby, and lucked into the most wonderful person in the world. But now with 4 kids between us, 3 involved in sports, even if I still had my tank, I would't have enough free time to devote. Not to mention the cost of the hobby can be incredible in both money and time needed to do it right. I will be back in time though. I think you guys are doing a great job but as I've found out, it's hard to find the time sometimes.

fishdoc11

It's a hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had the time to be involved. In the past year I've gotten divorced, sold my house, had to give up the hobby, and lucked into the most wonderful person in the world. But now with 4 kids between us, 3 involved in sports, even if I still had my tank, I would't have enough free time to devote. Not to mention the cost of the hobby can be incredible in both money and time needed to do it right. I will be back in time though. I think you guys are doing a great job but as I've found out, it's hard to find the time sometimes.

Lots of things way more important in this life than keeping a reef tank :cool:

undercontrolj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been away from the hobby for a while and just getting back.

This is nothing that has not happened in the past. Every board wants to have more engagement and community which is good but very difficult. Now what does come out of the club, at least what I have seen, are tight networks that are in close relation to each other. I would say within a 15 mile radius people that are a part of the club are active with each other in their area. So keep that in mind when judging the club activities because without the club most of the people would not be in those relationships.

Secondly, its hard being on the board so don't beat yourself up. Easier said than done.

Last edited:

supertech99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 under control. I've not been in the club for years, just getting back into the hobby and I thought, for sure, MTRC did not exist anymore considering the state of it when I stopped. Alot of the engagement is beyond the BOD, it often has more to do with relationships of the members. You can of course facilitate that, but if you mesh with at least a handful of other members that go to meetings, you'll have better attendance.

renwah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
My name is Scott. And I'm brand new here. I've posted a few things here and there in a decent attempt at participation.
I am brand new to both aquariums and to this forum. I am a paid member, and will continue to be. Coming at this predicament from my angle, I see a lot of good advice and experience coming from the forums. which is what forums are for. But as a paying member, one might expect a little more for their money( not saying it is too much.) I mean, you have a person new to the scene, throwing a crap ton of money at their tank, they read forums to get help and advice. But, their not joining a club for advice. They join either cause they want to be publicly social, or they want to get a "perk". They already spend a lot of time and money on their personal tank. People these days don't want to spend more time listening to a speaker. They can just watch a YouTube video it.
Unfortunately, most people won't participate with said "perk". Its the "what's in it for me generation" and well, if you want people to come and be active, you may have to move in that direction. Specially if its choosing to do something more productive in their life. Its like training a dog. You give them a command, they do it correct, oh hey, look a treat! They're are more willing to do it again. No treat, less willing. People are the same way. Gotta give em that fix.
Saying that, I understand you do raffles and what not, but to the newbie just joining, it may not be enough to keep their interest sparked.
I joined because I have been reading and watching YouTube videos about saltwater tanks for about 4 yrs now. I finally just decided to do it or it was never gonna happen. Its A LOT of money a time you may never get back, and in some cases you will loose very quickly. I acknowledged that fact and bit the bullet. I now have a very expensive glass box with water and rocks. But I enjoy watching it and seeming that ecosystem I created do its thing. And I wanted to meet people of like mind. Though I think most people get fish tanks because a certain fish looks "cool", but that's about as interested as they are going get....without a little push.
After reading the posts on here. Most people are too busy or too far. Sounds to me, like they need enticement. I know it says middle Tenn, but I think that's a little too much wishing. I know I don't want to drive an hour for a meeting. That's not very "local". Maybe there needs to be smaller branches in other areas, like Clarksville. They do their monthly meetings, and then quarterly, we all meet a up as a bigger group.
OK, I've said a lot, and as a newbie, probably too much. So, I will let that just digest for a bit, lol. I hope this info will help..

renwah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
My name is Scott. And I'm brand new here. I've posted a few things here and there in a decent attempt at participation.
I am brand new to both aquariums and to this forum. I am a paid member, and will continue to be. Coming at this predicament from my angle, I see a lot of good advice and experience coming from the forums. which is what forums are for. But as a paying member, one might expect a little more for their money( not saying it is too much.) I mean, you have a person new to the scene, throwing a crap ton of money at their tank, they read forums to get help and advice. But, their not joining a club for advice. They join either cause they want to be publicly social, or they want to get a "perk". They already spend a lot of time and money on their personal tank. People these days don't want to spend more time listening to a speaker. They can just watch a YouTube video it.
Unfortunately, most people won't participate without said "perk". Its the "what's in it for me generation" and well, if you want people to come and be active, you may have to move in that direction. Specially if its choosing to do something more productive in their life. Its like training a dog. You give them a command, they do it correct, oh hey, look a treat! They're are more willing to do it again. No treat, less willing. People are the same way. Gotta give em that fix.
Saying that, I understand you do raffles and what not, but to the newbie just joining, it may not be enough to keep their interest sparked.
I joined because I have been reading and watching YouTube videos about saltwater tanks for about 4 yrs now. I finally just decided to do it or it was never gonna happen. Its A LOT of money a time you may never get back, and in some cases you will loose very quickly. I acknowledged that fact and bit the bullet. I now have a very expensive glass box with water and rocks. But I enjoy watching it and seeming that ecosystem I created do its thing. And I wanted to meet people of like mind. Though I think most people get fish tanks because a certain fish looks "cool", but that's about as interested as they are going get....without a little push.
After reading the posts on here. Most people are too busy or too far. Sounds to me, like they need enticement. I know it says middle Tenn, but I think that's a little too much wishing. I know I don't want to drive an hour for a meeting. That's not very "local". Maybe there needs to be smaller branches in other areas, like Clarksville. They do their monthly meetings, and then quarterly, we all meet a up as a bigger group.
OK, I've said a lot, and as a newbie, probably too much. So, I will let that just digest for a bit, lol. I hope this info will help..

OP
OP
bknapp

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, thanks for the info and for joining.

I'm stuck at your first comment and would like you to elaborate a little if you would please.

First thing past your introduction was a comment about the money spent to become a member, $20 which is a drop in the bucket for this hobby. What, as a paid member and admitted newb, would you consider a return on investment, what would you need (as far as the club is concerned) to feel that you broke even?

renwah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I don't feel that personally, but I think most will.
Maybe do something like a welcome package. Maybe have a few different types, one for the just reefers, one for fish, one for freshwater. Maybe put some tried and true essentials, fish food, carbon, filters, anything really... Not expensive stuff, but stuff that's says hey welcome to the club, here's some stuff to help you out. Maybe with a pamphlet that's says we can also help with these specific tasks, such as par readings, where most seasoned aquarists will not even spend the money on a PAR meter. Stuff like that.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back