The Future of MTRC

renwah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if people don't feel that instant benefit feeling, yea they may throw down the 20 bucks for the membership, because hey, if you can afford this hobby, 20 isn't a whole lot. But some, have to save up a lot of money to do this hobby cause they love it. And it will take a long time to get where they want to be. So, get that spark going, because who doesn't like free stuff. Especially in this hobby, where very few things you need are under a couple hundred bucks.

renwah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they don't get that initial spark from the group, they'll just right off the 20, follow the forums might come to a couple of meetings, and after a while they'll be gone.
Maintaining that interest in the club is another matter, but I think it could be a good way to get new people interested

renwah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And with the welcome package, let them know they can pick it up at their first club meeting, which will also entice them to go to the meetings.
Killed like 13 birds with one stone, lol

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't see a problem at this time. The last BOD did a great job last year and it's already reflecting. Our first meeting was a success, the forum is active again. more will come but it's takes time.

Your input is valid and we will take it into consideration please keep them coming.

Richard Schmidt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I'm going to step on some toes (I just don't care), this club was started to learn and teach reef information (not do bulk buys and learn how to use a band saw to frag a coral).
I am one of the charter members (my ID number was 004).
When the club was started it was meant to teach, learn and try new technology.
We met every month at a club members house and discussed what each of us had learned,and what we could teach.
I had a tank crash, and told the all the club members that.
All members wanted the next meeting to be at my house just so they could help restock my tank. That's what we did for each other.
I hosted a meeting that required 3 of our members to spend 2 weeks cutting and slicing pvc pipe just to change a standard (in tank) pump into a vortex type pump using a remote control boat propeller, and the housings we made.
I had to have a progress table table set up for all of us to get it done.
Was told recently that the charter members would be recognized for what they did to start the club, not sure that matters anymore since what we started turned into what it is now.
PLEASE get back to what we started and what we wanted.
Only my opnion:
Rick

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess I'm going to step on some toes (I just don't care), this club was started to learn and teach reef information (not do bulk buys and learn how to use a band saw to frag a coral).
I am one of the charter members (my ID number was 004).
When the club was started it was meant to teach, learn and try new technology.
We met every month at a club members house and discussed what each of us had learned,and what we could teach.
I had a tank crash, and told the all the club members that.
All members wanted the next meeting to be at my house just so they could help restock my tank. That's what we did for each other.
I hosted a meeting that required 3 of our members to spend 2 weeks cutting and slicing pvc pipe just to change a standard (in tank) pump into a vortex type pump using a remote control boat propeller, and the housings we made.
Was told recently that the charter members would be recognized for what they did to start the club, not sure that matters anymore since what we started turned into what it is now.
PLEASE get back to what we started and what we wanted.
Only my opnion:
Rick
Richard yes we are working on getting all the charter members back together. Please contact me on my PM. Thank you for your reply.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rick

Rick,
I had one of these pumps, I think MTRC offered them to members of ETRC via Mel or Randy. Ah, the good ole days. I agree, the camaraderie was different back then. Not that my opinion makes a hill of beans' difference but the forums were different then too. Less about the business side of the hobby and more about helping one another out.

Dave

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points Rick. I miss the way things were back then. I haven't been as active with the club the last few years. I used to make it a point to make it to as many meetings as I could but lately life has just gotten in the way. I had a couple of meetings at my house. The first one there was a house full. The second one there was maybe 4 or 5.

And yes, Dave. It seemed like the forums were a lot less selling oriented and a lot more learning oriented.

BTW, I thought I was #4. My old card says 2004000004. Not that it matters.

iiluisii

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good points Rick. I miss the way things were back then. I haven't been as active with the club the last few years. I used to make it a point to make it to as many meetings as I could but lately life has just gotten in the way. I had a couple of meetings at my house. The first one there was a house full. The second one there was maybe 4 or 5.

And yes, Dave. It seemed like the forums were a lot less selling oriented and a lot more learning oriented.

BTW, I thought I was #4. My old card says 2004000004. Not that it matters.
Mike please contact me also for the charter membership.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent you a message.

Oh, I'm not saying the club is bad now if anyone thinks that is what I was meaning. It was just a little more personal I guess because it was smaller. Everyone knew each other and we were able to hold the meetings at members houses. I can understand not wanting 20 people to come over, especially when you don't know of half of them very well.

fishdoc11

It's a hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW here is an old pic of those pumps at work. MJ 1200 mods in top left and right corners.

DSC01852.jpg

FWIW it's hard to compare the club now (or when I have been most recently) to then because the two are just different things at different points in time. We can't go back in time. There are more people now and that just changes things, not good or bad just different IMO. The biggest thing I miss about the club back then was the camaraderie. I have talked to several people about that and we just enjoyed each others company. When I see those guys now it's like no time has passed between now and then. I consider all of them friends to this day. As I am starting to get back into this I am talking with new people and those people are just as passionate about reef keeping and I very much enjoy talking to them as well. So the camaraderie is still there. I like the fact that we will try and start having a few meetings at people's houses when possible as the best part of meetings for me was seeing other people's tanks. I may regret that when we have one at my little house later this year:p I hope I do because that will mean our attendance is increasing again and the club is going in the right direction.

Chris

Richard Schmidt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rcmike:
You may be correct I was playing from memory. I could have been 2 or 3 or 5, just don't remember. You still RC' ing? :)
Good to hear from you.
Rick

Last edited:

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 regarding the "business" aspect - it's so pervasive, invasive even. I'm new to reefing and reef clubs, and "the hustle" really puts me off.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember that tank Chris. It always did look nice. I agree with what you are saying. It's not worse, just different.

Yeah Rick, I'm still doing RC stuff. I even did some aerial filming for some weddings and other stuff a couple of years ago. I haven't been doing it as much in the past year though.

Richard Schmidt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rcmike:

Have you gotten into drones yet? One of the doctors I work with wants to get into that and the cheap fu**** wants me to buy in with him.
Lot of money that could be spent on the tank, so I told him no.
Just wondered where you were with RC.
Rick

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could say that. I'll send you a PM.

Richard Schmidt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sean just contacted me (Emerald Bay) telling me he has been asked several times where the par meter is.
I'll bring up it to Sean (Emerald Bay) tomorrow, but I'm not sure why nobody has contacted me directly.
Just want everyone to know you can contact me directly.
The meter will be there tomorrow afternoon.
Sean is not responsible I am.
Not sure how to make this post sound friendly, but it is. :)
It's my fault for not contacting "MTRC" directly.
The Par meter will be at "Emerald Bay" tomorrow.
Hope no one takes offence to this post, but again it's my fault.
Hope no one holds Sean responsible.
Again,this is a friendly response, no offence meant.
It's my fault and I admit it.
Sorry:
Rick
[email protected]

Again, sorry.

Tennsquire

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was involved with the club several years ago for a while, and got turned off when I couldn't get a dang membership card (either sent to me or given to me at a meeting). Life does indeed get in the way at times, but it sounds like things are turning around somewhat. I will endeavor to renew my membership and come to meetings when/where possible.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just getting into this hobby (tank still dry, but getting everything else together) and definitely looking for friendly advice, especially from some in area...I'm in Clarksville. The MTRC forum group seems to be spotty whether there are people active or not... Any advice on whether the group is active? Or is there a local group in Clarksville...Middle Tennessee covers quite a bit of ground, lol?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 33 54.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • None.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.6%
Back