The good and bad

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, this is so long. I have been absent for so long! Last year, a harassment battle with a neighbor and taking him to court took up 6 months of my life. Tanks suffered horribly. I was just too emotionally spent. Then in November, after court in Sept. I lost my mother who lived with us for past almost 16 years. Came to us with stage 4 lung cancers and beat it. She got sick without warning. 1 day in hospital, 2 ambulance calls, and another night in the er and we learned she had colon cancer, spread to lungs and brain. She had a seizure, never came out of it and passed fairy peacefully in the er. Her body just shut down. She'd have been pleased to have gone this way. She never knew she had cancer again.

Then, we had to redo her room--gave her the master bedroom and turned it into a studio. She still smoked in that room, so painters used a strong primer. What I didn't know was it would affect my tanks. Even though once I smelled how bad, and put towels under door, and closed screen doors, it was too late. Next day all the tanks were cloudy white. did emergency water changes. And cleared it up. Later I realized I was missing a lot of fish. Some I'd had from the beginning. No sign of them. So I think the cloudy water was from dead fish. Prob. lost 3-4 in one tank, 5-6 in another. And some corals too. Bummed over some of the losses.

Fast forward to now. I'm going to croatia and italy in the fall for daughter's destination wedding. Be gone 2 weeks and have decided that a) I can't keep up with 4 tanks (65 gal, 40 gal, 125 gal, and 30 gal qt). And I don't want whoever house sits to have to worry about topping off 4 tanks or making that much water. Also, the 125 is stable. I want to add more fish, and some yellow tangs, but have decided it is best to wait until October as I don't want ick or anything else to wipe out fish and cause a crash while I'm gone.

So I'm taking down the qt tank. And I'm also taking down the rs mx 250. Transferred all live rock to the 40 and 125. Just some snails left.

As I'm also working part time (earn money for trip) I think I'm just going to sell the red sea max 250 and concentrate on the 125. I'm trying to figure out how much to ask, esp. as it has the led light retrofit hood now. If there are ideas, you could pm me.

So one question: I want it real clean. How much vinegar can I add to run with the skimmer and pumps to clean. Is it better to just buy powdered citric acid? Do I want half salt water and half vinegar? I want to run it for a few days to clean out the pumps and help get rid of the coraline on the glass.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of your troubles and I'm so sorry for your loss.

Vinegar and tap water should to the trick. Couple gallons of vinegar and the rest tap should clean it up. If possible, use warm water. Helps.

Last edited:

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably just run vinegar and tap, unless there is a reason to run it with salt..... How much can you? I would assume as long as foam doesn't pour out the top of the tank, I would think you could run straight vinegar.....

Any reason you're not breaking it down and manually cleaning the system with vinegar, taking apart the pumps etc? Maybe run a bunch of vinegar through it to clean the tubing etc, but ultimately take it apart and do it by hand?

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would probably just run vinegar and tap, unless there is a reason to run it with salt..... How much can you? I would assume as long as foam doesn't pour out the top of the tank, I would think you could run straight vinegar.....

Any reason you're not breaking it down and manually cleaning the system with vinegar, taking apart the pumps etc? Maybe run a bunch of vinegar through it to clean the tubing etc, but ultimately take it apart and do it by hand?
I am going to break it down and soak all pumps etc. I want to get as much of the coraline off the silicon as I can inside. And make it easier to clean the back glass.

right now, it is full of regular salt water. I'd thought to remove x amount of water and add the vinegar to the tank, then break it down and do a complete scrub and clean.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it is better to run tap, then I can drain and do that. I can also turn heater up to heat up the tank also.

Breaks my heart a bit as this was my first tank in 2016 but I've moved up and just can't handle 2 tanks right now.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear of your troubles and I'm so sorry for your loss.

Vinegar and tap water should to the trick. Couple gallons of vinegar and the rest tap should clean it up. If possible, use warm water. Helps.
Do you think it is okay to use the salt water in the tank with vinegar? Or should I drain and do tap and vinegar

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would fill the tank, plug the portholes if you have any, and toss 1 gallon of vinegar in.. let the pumps and whatever else you want to clean just lay in there.. use one pump for circulation.. in two days the Coraline will be melted off or darn near.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would fill the tank, plug the portholes if you have any, and toss 1 gallon of vinegar in.. let the pumps and whatever else you want to clean just lay in there.. use one pump for circulation.. in two days the Coraline will be melted off or darn near.
Can you tell me what you mean by portholes. The tank is an all in one red sea 65 gal. The pumps and skimmer are in the back. I will remove the ato before and let the water level drop a bit to make up for the vinegar.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry for all you've been through.

+1 on draining the system. (once exposed to air the Coraline algae will die off and turn white) Add a couple of gallons a white distilled vinegar, fill with tap water and run a week or so. It will be easier to clean.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has water and vinegar. Took all equipment out except skimmer and pumps. Will soak them after I drain. Will let it sit till the weekend. I feel a bit sad. It was a beautiful tank until those paint fumes killed half of what was in it. And with me getting ready to go away for 2 weeks in the fall, just too much to try to restock, or expect someone else to care for. I still have my 125 and my 40, though might just go with the 125 for now

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back