The green killing machine

David Esparza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I was just wondering if this green killing machine works for saltwater tanks also I ordered it and it should arrive tommorow IVe been watching videos but I haven’t seen anyone using this for saltwater tanks only freshwater please let me know if anyone is running one on their saltwater tank.
8964E63F-DE9B-4BD4-AD51-B1C8A94BD090.png

OP
OP
D

David Esparza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They work great for what they are.. perfectly fine in salt water
omg what a relief I was not seeing any videos on YouTube with people using them on saltwater so I thought it was so my freshwater but I’m so ready!! I’m tired of my cloudy water that has been going for almost a month now, but one question once I get it and my water is clear should I leave it running 24/7 Day and night like all the pumps ??

OP
OP
D

David Esparza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got one running 24/7. Worked great. I'm not sure how long they last.
I ran one to clear my ostreopsis dinos. Worked wells.
one question I got a 9 watt for my Fluval Evo 13.5 gallon because I couldn’t find the 3 watt anywhere the 9 watt is up to 50 gallons was that a bad idea ? :/

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a product review video for someone using it in a reef aquarium. She's using the 9w version but shes spot on about what GKM does and the quality. I have the 24w one I use it when I need it, keywords "I use it when I need it" it's great for the price!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one question I got a 9 watt for my Fluval Evo 13.5 gallon because I couldn’t find the 3 watt anywhere the 9 watt is up to 50 gallons was that a bad idea ? :/
You're fine I have a 13.5 and have thrown it into the main tank... magic of it happened quickly.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware that some folks are having a problems with this UV as it turns out that it isnt really meant for saltwater use. High antimony levels are found on the water a couple of months after installing it. Check the pumps of that UV and you will find the rust. Check the thread "High Antimony found on Triton ICP"

brewandreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware that some folks are having a problems with this UV as it turns out that it isnt really meant for saltwater use. High antimony levels are found on the water a couple of months after installing it. Check the pumps of that UV and you will find the rust. Check the thread "High Antimony found on Triton ICP"
Haha my fears were correct. I don't trust cheap things. I literally used it twice and tossed it in the "if I ever need it again" bin.

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can vouch for the Antimony....I used one in December. My November ICP test was 0 antimony....my February test had antimony of 26!! For the life of me I could not figure it out....I took out ABS printed parts, used poly filter, water changes yet repeat testing still showed high antimony.

Then it was reported that the green killing machine might be the culprit. Made sense it was the only change in my tank and several others have reported the same effect.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular reason you are concerned about elevated levels of Sb?

CDavmd

AstroReefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any particular reason you are concerned about elevated levels of Sb?
no one knows if it is toxic or what effects it has on corals....personally if its not found in sea water I will err on the side of keeping it out of my system. I definitely don't want to maintain the levels I found of 26 in my system.

I had total decimation of thriving SPS due to STN....not saying it was the antimony because several things were going on but we just don't know.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no one knows if it is toxic or what effects it has on corals....personally if its not found in sea water I will err on the side of keeping it out of my system. I definitely don't want to maintain the levels I found of 26 in my system.

I had total decimation of thriving SPS due to STN....not saying it was the antimony because several things were going on but we just don't know.
Fair enough- thanks for your explanation :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back