Big Red loving the new aquascape! :)

20181204_124454.jpg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question for you Hawk lovers. Can you mix them? Like a Flame with a Long Nose?

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question for you Hawk lovers. Can you mix them? Like a Flame with a Long Nose?
I've heard of people doing this. From my understanding they have to be introduced at the same time and need a large tank with plenty of room for territory. I'm not totally sure tho, I'm certain someone else can chime in with more info.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, as juveniles. We have one of each. flame (mine) longnose (Better Half). Only 1 year experience.

Previously had a pair of longnose.
Lost 1 in a tank crash but the other survived for 5 years.

So far they just ignore each other. Tank gets fed heavily so there is no food competition.
They both will do a full circuit around the tank but in slightly different locations and they never seem to spend any time messing with each other.

Flame was in for a month before the longnose.
Originally the flame would sit close to the longnose and preferably just a little higher. I'm sure it was not pleased to see the longnose, but that was the extent of any aggression.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We 1st tried it with a slightly larger longnose and that was a disaster. The longnose was aggressive and tried to attack the flame hawkfish from inside the acclamation box!
Back to the LFS.

Be able and ready to fix it if it doesn't go well. [emoji846]

Like most other potentially aggressive fish, it would be best to introduce them at the same time, in separate acclamation boxes, next to each other, for a few days and see how that goes.

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive only ever had 2 hawks, one was a stunning swallow tail that unfortunately jumped out of a 1nch by 1inch hole...but currently have a 4 inch Arc eye hawk who is starting to get meaty and put on some size...old pic..I'll have to get take some new ones

20181214_142503.jpg
Awsome!! Love the arc eyes, never seen a very big one tho would love to see some new pics!!!

OP
OP
Reefbuds

Reefbuds

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive only ever had 2 hawks, one was a stunning swallow tail that unfortunately jumped out of a 1nch by 1inch hole...but currently have a 4 inch Arc eye hawk who is starting to get meaty and put on some size...old pic..I'll have to get take some new ones

20181214_142503.jpg
Terrible about your swallowtail tho. I've heard hawkfish can spot out and jump out of very small holes.

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awsome!! Love the arc eyes, never seen a very big one tho would love to see some new pics!!!
Me either, only seen this guy of his species, was in my lfs he in Oz for about 6 months!! I guess no ine wanted a "agressive, invert eating monster" for their reef....or they simply couldn't spot him in the tank! lol. Lucky me though they have such a great personality like my lamarcks angel and bird nose wrasse..
Terrible about your swallowtail tho. I've heard hawkfish can spot out and jump out of very small holes.
It was unfortunate after having glass lids, it was 2 years ago in my old in the wall style reef....poor fella was in the wrong place at the wrong time

Peekay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my flame hawk from Live Aquaria yesterday! He's still getting used to the QT tank right now, haven't really seen him eat yet. This guy is great so far, though. He's rooming with 2 snowflake clowns and a yellow prawn goby right now. I find him resting on the powerhead, on the temp probe wire, by the airstone, hopefully he's happy.

PK

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back