The heck with it, im going sockless!!

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I remove my filter socks I would only have my skimmer and GFO Reactor working. I don't have a Refugium and not planning on adding one, my system is a barebottom mixed reef

oceanslide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually buy a new sock or two every time brs has a sale. Now I have quite a few and change them about every two weeks or sooner if they clog up. Store the dirty ones in a 5 gallon bucket with an airtight lid then when the bucket is full soak them all in water with a splash of bleach then run them through a cycle in the washer. But before running the washer I'll run the washer with hot water and nothing in it to help remove any left over soap in there. Then air dry.

Kengar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im tired of cleaning them, and pretty convinced they are just a nutrient factory!! Who else out there is not running socks??
I'm surprised no one has commented on Theiling Roller Mat. I bought two when they were about 1/3 off at Christmas time and will be using them on 250 g system I am putting together. I've seen positive reviews and look forward to clean water without the hassle of changing socks so frequently.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards getting rid of my socks for good soon, reason: Pods. My socks capture a great deal of pods. Cleaning the sump isn't a big deal to me, but my socks eliminate the bubbles in my skimmer chamber.

I have to make a bubble box to reduce them. I have a bubble trap in the sump and with a 6' sump there are not any bubbles at the return. Just need to control the salt creep.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on the filter floss. It might seem like double the mechanical filter, but I throw some cheap filter floss on top of the sock which allows me to just grab the floss and throw it out every few days. I might remove the sock and clean it every month+, but the sock stays fairly clean since the floss is first hit by the water and thus collects the bulk of the gunk. I'm also worried about sock/floss catching and removing pods so intend to go sockless soon except for particle cleanup as needed.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fwiw i dont use a sock either, but my ats traps most of the dirt and gets removed with it.

I only use filter socks when I blow off the rock scape or mess around in the sump. I just purchased an ATS waiting for it to get delivered. I don't have room for a refugium and with the way new ATS are made they are simple and can be remote installed. Based on info I have read on R2R and else where no one seems to have any complaints, even a bulk supplier that many on here use, recommended I go for an ATS before a large Chaeto Reactor.

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to the Micron Filter socks, they clean VERY easily just in the sink. I turn them inside out and spray them out, then run them under my RO unit real quick, dry in about an hour at most. I've got 8 of them and switch them out very 2 to 3 days. I don't ever use the felt ones anymore, they're a pain.

Snookin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in fresh mesh filter socks before a water change. Then, I blast the rocks and sand with a turkey baster letting the tank and detritus settle for a couple hours. Next, I blast again and perform an immediate water change. I then blast one more time and remove mesh filter socks after the tank settles. I do that every week but in between weekly water changes I run no filter socks. Throw the used mesh socks away each week. Cost me $6 a week in socks.

bergenholtz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't go sock-less but switched to nylon/plastic socks which are a breeze to clean.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used them, and yes a few particles get back into the DT, but my water is crystal. So what gives, are they worth the trouble or not??? The answer seems to be " which side of the fence do you live on!" I hate this part of the hobby!

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to the Micron Filter socks, they clean VERY easily just in the sink. I turn them inside out and spray them out, then run them under my RO unit real quick, dry in about an hour at most. I've got 8 of them and switch them out very 2 to 3 days. I don't ever use the felt ones anymore, they're a pain.

My first sock is felt, second is mesh. I run the mesh as you described under the sink inside out to clean. I don't bother running ro water though. Straight back into thebsump it goes.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used them, and yes a few particles get back into the DT, but my water is crystal. So what gives, are they worth the trouble or not??? The answer seems to be " which side of the fence do you live on!" I hate this part of the hobby!
It all depends on how you set up your system, sump, skimmer, ect. Are you ok with a bit floating around in your display where does your nitrate and phosphates stand, how much and how often and what you feed what is your fish load and coral load.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had trouble with high nitrates from time to time. I have a high load of both fish and corals. Most of my corals grow well, and seem happy. I run a skimmer in my sump with ChemiPure. Refuge contain Chaeto , but I don't have the growth most have. I did run the refuge light 24/7, but now only run at night. Po4's are low, but can't get my nitrates totally under control. Any ides???
It all depends on how you set up your system, sump, skimmer, ect. Are you ok with a bit floating around in your display where does your nitrate and phosphates stand, how much and how often and what you feed what is your fish load and coral load.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had trouble with high nitrates from time to time. I have a high load of both fish and corals. Most of my corals grow well, and seem happy. I run a skimmer in my sump with ChemiPure. Refuge contain Chaeto , but I don't have the growth most have. I did run the refuge light 24/7, but now only run at night. Po4's are low, but can't get my nitrates totally under control. Any ides???
There are a number of ways to lower nitrates but anyone that will answer this question will want to know more about your setup, all the water parameters, what you use to make your salt water, what you feed and how often. What methods you have used to lower phosphates and nitrates.

Shaun Sweeney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used socks for about 4 years but with the new build, I eliminated them and after 6 months, there has been no noticeable difference in the system. However, because I added quite a bit more water to the system - more than double - I did add two more smaller skimmers. "So far so good ... "

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe this was said already but my only reason I stopped using socks is I felt they would capture pods and other microfauna and prevent them from circulating through the tank.

Thoughts?

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped using socks about two years ago. Since that my corals , specially acros grow better and collar more vivid

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back