The heck with it, im going sockless!!

Chris Harbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a natural filtration system. I use cheto algae and a in tank protein skimmer as my main 2 filtration. I do low dosing NoPox because I want my nitrates to stay elevated between 5ppm and 10ppm. Just Google it.. you can always buy books about aquarium filtration also, that's how I learned to make mine, reading lots of books.especially books written by Mr Fenner, Mr. Sprung, Mr. Delbreek, and many more.
There are also many threads on here you can follow and read, plus these guys love posting pics of there stuff..alot of different ideas, one is bound to suite your needs and wallet.

dreamsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some macros that look good, but for nutrient export you want fast growers like chaeto (looks like a big green hairball) that probably wouldn't be suitable to have in most displays.
So when people talk about all in one tanks, they still mean having some areas cordoned off somehow? I'd love to have a complete ecosystem in a smallish tank.

dreamsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are also many threads on here you can follow and read, plus these guys love posting pics of there stuff..alot of different ideas, one is bound to suite your needs and wallet.
It's a natural filtration system. I use cheto algae and a in tank protein skimmer as my main 2 filtration. I do low dosing NoPox because I want my nitrates to stay elevated between 5ppm and 10ppm. Just Google it.. you can always buy books about aquarium filtration also, that's how I learned to make mine, reading lots of books.especially books written by Mr Fenner, Mr. Sprung, Mr. Delbreek, and many more.
Thanks for the reading recommendations. I'm just starting to learn about this, am still a long way off from setting up a tank.

dreamsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So when people talk about all in one tanks, they still mean having some areas cordoned off somehow? I'd love to have a complete ecosystem in a smallish tank.
By "smallish" I mean 40-75 gal, depending on space after we move.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sumps-tanks-refugiums/tanks/innovative-marine-tanks.html a lot of these are AIOs (all-in-one) tanks. And yes they pretty much have a 'false' back wall where you put you equipment i.e. heaters, return pumps, skimmers, maybe even a little fuge:), etc... I've been looking at them more and more. Really thinking about going AIO if I ever get up the guts to ask the wife for a frag tank ;)

dreamsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sumps-tanks-refugiums/tanks/innovative-marine-tanks.html a lot of these are AIOs (all-in-one) tanks. And yes they pretty much have a 'false' back wall where you put you equipment i.e. heaters, return pumps, skimmers, maybe even a little fuge:), etc... I've been looking at them more and more. Really thinking about going AIO if I ever get up the guts to ask the wife for a frag tank ;)
I don't get it. Do you mean you'd only have a frag tank? I'm new to this, had thought frag tanks were seen as necessary bores to get coral for a fish tank--but growing Coral is what I want to do.

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out not using filter socks. I bought a frag tank that has a place to put a filter sock so I bought 3 and realized how expensive how expensive they were. My son learned how to sew not to long ago and not I have a box full of about 50 or so. I just use the plastic ring from my original filter socks and zip tie the home made socks to it. Works like a champ! I believe the benefits outweigh the task of having to change them every day.

Another tip I found out is if you set up a new tank and its cloudy...put a couple socks in a hob filter....it will clear up in a matter of hours!

gary henkel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would suggest to all of you for whom a 1-2 minute swap out of a sock is burdensome to look at this video from bsr. watch it all the way through. as far as cleaning them, we have about 10, store the used ones in a hamper like thingy until we start running low, throw them into washing mashine with some chlorine bleach after inverting them, come out ready to go for the next cycle. pay particular attention in the video to nutrient levels where no sock was used and where they were used and changed twice a week. science talks.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/brstv-investigates-what-do-filter-socks-do-for-you/

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all who wash them in the washing machine; you're not concerned that there may be trace amounts of detergent that stay in the socks?

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get it. Do you mean you'd only have a frag tank? I'm new to this, had thought frag tanks were seen as necessary bores to get coral for a fish tank--but growing Coral is what I want to do.
Oh no, my friend. Frag tanks are neither necessary nor boring. They are a wonderful tool that can be used for many different things (mainly growing out corals). If I got one, it would be in addition to what I have now. It would be a place for growing out frags and maybe doing some experimental stuff that I wouldn't want to do in the display tank.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is exactly what I have been doing as I think you may know with lots of benefit to my system. I don't use any mechanical filtration apart from a skimmer. I also run an ATS.

Putting a Nyos 160 in tomorrow, I have uped my fish stocking and feeding recently.
I'm going to run it for a week to bed in and then put it on a timer to match the lights. ;)

OP
OP
lou dog420

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You all who wash them in the washing machine; you're not concerned that there may be trace amounts of detergent that stay in the socks?
I was giving them an overnight soak in a tub full of water treated with prime just to be safe. I washed with bleach only.

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to nylon a few years ago for the simple fact that it's ridiculous cleaning the thick mesh type, nylon you can rub together and clean in less than a minute and it dries in no time. I keep a few on hand that I rotate once a week and in my particular system it works out fine according to my parameters readings. I tell people all the time that hate the thick mesh and still don't want to go with nothing to try the nylon.

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Price of the socks are definitely not an issue for me. I can buy the felt at Wal-Mart, a 12×9 piece for .23 cents. I will just buy a ton of them and sew them together. Use and then throw away when I'm done with it

enthejungle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too got tired of cleaning them and was eventually convinced that they're a nutrient factory and pulled them out quite some time ago

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a passive (drilled) bucket with large pore sponge lined around the inside of it.

Great idea! I took a trip to the hardware store this morning to throw something together for my reefer 250. 3 inch pvc, test cap on the bottom to keep the crud in, and coincidentally a 3 inch pipe fits inside the sock holder to seal any gaps.

I tried first with a 4 inch pipe but the OD was too big to fit.

20170528_145223.jpg

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Socks suck. I don't use them. I keep a small cleanup crew in my sump to deal with detritus and vacuum it once a year. Nutrients run low in my system, filter socks would remove nutrients that my acros appreciate.

what clean up crew do you keep inside your sump?

NickyPop1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter floss. Throw it out every 3-4 days, replace new one no washing! Minimal maintenance.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back