The hunt for gorilla crab

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Couple of knocked over frags...didn't think much of it but then one night I saw him. Hairy with big claws. About inch and half gorilla crab.

I bought a cuc mostly made up of various snails. I also bought a decent size brittle star fish.

Lights out and I'm hunting with my flash light. Saw my brittle star lost almost all of its legs. Did the gorilla crab eat it? Or my brittle star is dieing ?

The star is on top of the rock work tonight which is weird. It's always in the rockwork on the bottom.

Any ideas to catch this crab? Bottle trap with bait?

OSFF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottle trap method didn’t work for me. I just pulled the piece of rock work out that he was hiding in and shanked him to death with some long forceps and pulled the pieces of him out. Dipping the rock in high salinity is also a waste of time and will only kill off the coraline.

OP
OP
Tuan’s Reef

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I haven't caught him yet.....and he's taunting me. He knocked over my Miyagi tort frag that wasn't glued down. I know its lair though. I will have to get a wooden skewer to hunt this guy down.

all kinds of life is starting to pop up everywhere on my TBS live rock.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't caught him yet.....and he's taunting me. He knocked over my Miyagi tort frag that wasn't glued down. I know its lair though. I will have to get a wooden skewer to hunt this guy down.

I am rock shopping and interested to hear the outcome and your eventual stance on "was the live rock worth the pests?"

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Take that rock which it lives in , pull some h202 and shoot it into the crevice then spear with fork

OP
OP
Tuan’s Reef

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I am rock shopping and interested to hear the outcome and your eventual stance on "was the live rock worth the pests?"

Isopods, a few aiptasia , some Flatworms I haven't ID yet, gorilla crab. Oh yeah I got some pests. Would I do buy TBS live rock again? Absolutely . I would never again start a tank with dry rock.

I got an instant reef with the live rock. I didn't even have to cycle my tank. It was instant . Added corals within the 1st week of it getting wet .

Honestly I'm not even worried about the crab. I'm sure the crab and I will come to a resolution....it's just a matter of time and will.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back