The Hydros

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did we just become best friends? If so, can I borrow your Hydros?

giphy.gif

If you were in the area I would show you how it works.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm these glorious allegations about the ease of use!!:D

So let me tell you my experience of the how and why I can say that.

I was a Beta tester for the Control 4 and was sent one with no instructions! Yes that’s right ....nothing.... here ya go figure it out. Now I will say I have extensive reef keeping experience and previous controller experience. (Actually the previous controller experience was a hindrance). Now mind you I’m no engineer, code breaker or whatever, It took me about an hour to hook it up and was fully functional with all my settings and everything running . Wow!!

During the time of me actually hooking up the Control 4 I was simultaneously unhooking gobs of wires and cords tracing down all my equipment so I could transfer it over to the Control and off the other controller. So this added to the time of the swap.

From literally day one of running the Control 4 ( even in the Beta) my aquarium hasn’t missed a beat. After familiarizing myself with the App and it’s ease of use , I trusted and turned over complete control to the Hydros Control 4. It was , and is just that good! As I became more comfortable with the App interface and how smooth it works, I began to explore more advanced options. The Control didn’t disappoint. It also has a plethora of advanced settings that are definitely advanced, but aren’t that difficult to use . The entire time I’m setting up and looking at the pile of wires and cables I just took off and I look back at the control... I’m like .... is this for real? That easy? Where have you been!!

OP
OP
joshwaggs

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can confirm these glorious allegations about the ease of use!!:D

So let me tell you my experience of the how and why I can say that.

I was a Beta tester for the Control 4 and was sent one with no instructions! Yes that’s right ....nothing.... here ya go figure it out. Now I will say I have extensive reef keeping experience and previous controller experience. (Actually the previous controller experience was a hindrance). Now mind you I’m no engineer, code breaker or whatever, It took me about an hour to hook it up and was fully functional with all my settings and everything running . Wow!!

During the time of me actually hooking up the Control 4 I was simultaneously unhooking gobs of wires and cords tracing down all my equipment so I could transfer it over to the Control and off the other controller. So this added to the time of the swap.

From literally day one of running the Control 4 ( even in the Beta) my aquarium hasn’t missed a beat. After familiarizing myself with the App and it’s ease of use , I trusted and turned over complete control to the Hydros Control 4. It was , and is just that good! As I became more comfortable with the App interface and how smooth it works, I began to explore more advanced options. The Control didn’t disappoint. It also has a plethora of advanced settings that are definitely advanced, but aren’t that difficult to use . The entire time I’m setting up and looking at the pile of wires and cables I just took off and I look back at the control... I’m like .... is this for real? That easy? Where have you been!!
How do people become beta testers? Do you have to know someone? Or Preorder? How does that work? Serious question.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do people become beta testers? Do you have to know someone? Or Preorder? How does that work? Serious question.

Sorry I’m not allowed to divulge that information.

sorry serious answer. :/

Fish E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But seriously it is the ease of operation that makes this so good. It also can be as easy or as advanced as you want it to be. Presets work fine but click the advance tab and it opens a whole new world for allot of equipment.

Can Control 4 keep and display/graph historical data such as temp, ph, etc., readings over the last month or any specified time frame?

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it can do allot more than just turn a outlet on and off. I also have used Kasa smart outlets before. I used them for light control and used them to control my stirrer on my kalk reactor.

You also could use a Ranco too which is a great product which I have also used. Your choice but you are almost at the price of a Control 2 starter pack.

Controllers can do allot more. They have 0-10v. You connect sensors and switches to them. They can control relays. I am setting it up to control my r/o system with relays and float switch. I use it to control my Klirs and it does it directly. They can test PH and ORP. They can be used to control calcium reactors. The Control 2 & 4 are controlled via app so you can see the temperature and have alerts.

I am looking at using mine for auto water changes where I just hit a physical button.

Do you need a controller? Absolutely not but they can make life simpler. If you want just on/off and heat control and that is all you need that is fine what you described.

I understand this concern. Having a decent WIFI router is huge part of reliability on wireless. Some people have set up a dedicated WIFI network just for their control units too. Wireless has come along way and are pretty reliable now a days but some do have issues.

You can run direct drive and not use WIFI or just put non critical stuff on the WIFI plug strip if you are worried. You do not need plug strips and the unit can be bought with out one.

There are advantages though to WIFI like no cords. I am setting up my RO/Di system to run off my control but it is no where near it. I will just put a single WIFI outlet over there and a solenoid. No wires to run. That solenoid shuts off the water totally to the Ro unit when a float switch in my fresh water vat is full.

You have a point though and WIFI is only as reliable as the reliability of your wireless network.

Also the unit itself can also be accessed via Bluetooth.
I like the wireless and the bluetooth features. I just don't trust them enough with a life support system. I am really excited about the competition though. Innovation really explodes with better competition. Look how far cell phones have come in the last 10 years.
The HYDROS is a very good looking device and I did consider it while building my tank. I also have a 20 gallon AIO that I might put it on. It could be interesting to run both controllers and see the Pros and Cons of each.

RSREEFING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been working a lot lately and haven't really been able to keep up with all the information.

Anyone know if I can plug two of my xr15 G5 and two mp10wqds to the control 4 to eliminate the bricks?

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This would be great if the Control 2 had probes... I have 3 tanks don’t want to buy 3 C4s. This is Where apex was awesome. All you needed was an EB4 and a PM1 per tank and you had a complete controller for each tank. Don’t really see the value in the drive portS... the probe ports are vastly more useful.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This would be great if the Control 2 had probes... I have 3 tanks don’t want to buy 3 C4s. This is Where apex was awesome. All you needed was an EB4 and a PM1 per tank and you had a complete controller for each tank. Don’t really see the value in the drive portS... the probe ports are vastly more useful.

They use a ultra high quality ph input which is allot more money and if they did it would raise the cost of the control to much. I think it was talked about in the video.

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
They use a ultra high quality ph input which is allot more money and if they did it would raise the cost of the control to much. I think it was talked about in the video.
Hmm well I guess that is the only issue for me. pH is probably the only thing I would really monitor and its not practical to do it across 3 tanks cost wise. But for anyone else with 1tank (most hobbyist) I’m sure its a great option.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm well I guess that is the only issue for me. pH is probably the only thing I would really monitor and its not practical to do it across 3 tanks cost wise. But for anyone else with 1tank (most hobbyist) I’m sure its a great option.

Who knows maybe in the future they add a module if they get cheaper to produce or their is enough demand. It is in it infancy and allot has yet to be announced. Not every controller is for everybody.

For me I have allot of aquariums and PH probes need cleaning, calibration and they need to be replaced. It just never happens for me so my main is a Control 4 and the rest are Control 2's. Since most of my tanks are in the same room the PH is pretty similar so I measure one tank. I have a PH pen for spot checking.

Last edited:

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Who knows maybe in the future they add a module if they get cheaper to produce or their is enough demand. It is in it infancy and allot has yet to be announced. Not every controller is for everybody.

For me I have allot of aquariums and PH probes need cleaning, calibration and they need to be replaced. It just never happens for me so my main is a Control 4 and the rest are Control 2's. Since most of my tanks are in the same room the PH is pretty similar so I measure one tank. I have a PH pen for spot checking.
good point. My tanks all have different pH though seems dependent on bioload, feeding, algae growth and other paramaters like ALK. I dont find that pH probes need cleaning? Usually run mine for 2 years then replace without ever cleaning. I also like ORP it will tell you if something has died and keep track of overall tank health, so you can get ahead of potential tank issues. I have smaller tanks so not as much margin for error.

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0

But that is a good point hopefully they add an option to expand without purchasing multiple C4 in the future. I will have to wait for that.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, that's honest and I guess makes sense. Im sure they dont want to be bombarded with people asking for free stuff. Thanks for the answer.

I will answer that is a round about way. I have beta tested lots of things in different fields.
I have beta tested Xbox live before it was launched, I have tested Windows server, and I have tested aquarium products for different companies. I have beta tested lots of video games too. I am not talking you buy the video game early and get beta. I mean before games launch and are in development.

For example Xbox live which was a long time ago... It was my networking experience and the fact I was a gamer. They need people that were familiar with routers, networking, internet and such. Gaming experienced helps but they did not just want gamers. Gamers are ok for stress testing servers but that is it. They did not want to hold everyone's hands for things like setting up routers etc. I was partial owner of a web company and installed DSL. Also my main job is partially IT. So that is how I got picked.

Now in the reef hobby I would guess I get asked because I have been in the reef hobby 30+ years. I have a degree in mechanical engineering and I also work for a electrical engineering place in which I do some engineering and IT work.
I also know allot of people in the reef industry. I have tested everything from Salt to Web cameras for the hobby. As for a web camera for the reef hobby you can see where knowledge of IT is helpful..

Beta testing is not always fun and games. It can be allot of work sometimes.

For Xbox live I was trying to get errors and trying to recreate those errors. Take pictures or video of errors and fill out bug reports, same with most video games. Sometimes it can be allot of work especially when something does not work as intended. Filling out bug reports etc can be allot of work. You are trying to break stuff. With reef aquarium stuff you can be putting your tank at risk sometimes. With Aquarium controllers you need to have back up systems in case it does have a issue. When you start testing a product it is not always fully functional or you hit a bug that messes things up. You brick something which does happen. You are literally trying to break the thing. You can beat your head against a wall for hours trying to fix something or get something to work and you think you did something wrong and find out yea it was a bug. Sometimes it can be really frustrating.

That said for people like me who like messing with this stuff it can be allot of fun too. For me I really like tinkering with this stuff and figuring stuff out. If you do not it is not for you.

Allot of time in the end there is nothing free. Games are good only for a certain amount of time. Windows server beta only lasted a few months and would stop working. For the reef hobby some beta equipment is built rather cheaply. Like magnet are not always coated well because the units is only made to be used shortly or they are made with cheap plastic. I have been part of betas were the equipment is shipped back to them because they do not want beta equipment floating around causing issues. You are not always testing a retail version of a product. All I am saying is when you beta test something do not expect to get something for free. That is not why you do it and another good way to never get asked back.

I never go into it expecting something for free, if I do great. I go into it trying to help the company build a better product and I also get to tinker with something different. I bolded that because it is the most important thing for anyone who gets asked. I take testing product seriously.

Sometimes it cost money too. Reef equipment sent to be tested my require pumps or plumbing etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
joshwaggs

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will answer that is a round about way. I have beta tested lots of things in different fields.
I have beta tested Xbox live before it was launched, I have tested Windows server, and I have tested aquarium products for different companies. I have beta tested lots of video games too. I am not talking you buy the video game early and get beta. I mean before games launch and are in development.

For example Xbox live which was a long time ago... It was my networking experience and the fact I was a gamer. They need people that were familiar with routers, networking, internet and such. Gaming experienced helps but they did not just want gamers. Gamers are ok for stress testing servers but that is it. They did not want to hold everyone's hands for things like setting up routers etc. I was partial owner of a web company and installed DSL. Also my main job is partially IT. So that is how I got picked.

Now in the reef hobby I would guess I get asked because I have been in the reef hobby 30+ years. I have a degree in mechanical engineering and I also work for a electrical engineering place in which I do some engineering and IT work.
I also know allot of people in the reef industry. I have tested everything from Salt to Web cameras for the hobby. As for a web camera for the reef hobby you can see where knowledge of IT is helpful..

Beta testing is not always fun and games. It can be allot of work sometimes.

For Xbox live I was trying to get errors and trying to recreate those errors. Take pictures or video of errors and fill out bug reports, same with most video games. Sometimes it can be allot of work especially when something does not work as intended. Filling out bug reports etc can be allot of work. You are trying to break stuff. With reef aquarium stuff you can be putting your tank at risk sometimes. With Aquarium controllers you need to have back up systems in case it does have a issue. When you start testing a product it is not always fully functional or you hit a bug that messes things up. You brick something which does happen. You are literally trying to break the thing. You can beat your head against a wall for hours trying to fix something or get something to work and you think you did something wrong and find out yea it was a bug. Sometimes it can be really frustrating.

That said for people like me who like messing with this stuff it can be allot of fun too. For me I really like tinkering with this stuff and figuring stuff out. If you do not it is not for you.

Allot of time in the end there is nothing free. Games are good only for a certain amount of time. Windows server beta only lasted a few months and would stop working. For the reef hobby some beta equipment is built rather cheaply. Like magnet are not always coated well because the units is only made to be used shortly or they are made with cheap plastic. I have been part of betas were the equipment is shipped back to them because they do not want beta equipment floating around causing issues. You are not always testing a retail version of a product. All I am saying is when you beta test something do not expect to get something for free. That is not why you do it and another good way to never get asked back.

I never go into it expecting something for free, if I do great. I go into it trying to help the company build a better product and I also get to tinker with something different. I bolded that because it is the most important thing for anyone who gets asked. I take testing product seriously.

Sometimes it cost money too. Reef equipment sent to be tested my require pumps or plumbing etc.
That was great. Thanks. I guess the biggest question is: how do they know to ask a specific person? I completely get that beta testing isnt about getting free stuff. To me, beta testing is about being part of something that could be amazing and maybe being able to say, "yeah, I helped with that". I just dont know how they figure out who they are going to ask to beta test, other than "it was someone we knew" kind of thing.
That said, I would certainly be picky about what I would agree to test, too. If nothing else, you just make yourself look like a dumbbutt when you tell them you are having a problem, but you dont have the knowledge to give them some idea what the problem is.

Really good post. Thanks.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That was great. Thanks. I guess the biggest question is: how do they know to ask a specific person? I completely get that beta testing isnt about getting free stuff. To me, beta testing is about being part of something that could be amazing and maybe being able to say, "yeah, I helped with that". I just dont know how they figure out who they are going to ask to beta test, other than "it was someone we knew" kind of thing.
That said, I would certainly be picky about what I would agree to test, too. If nothing else, you just make yourself look like a dumbbutt when you tell them you are having a problem, but you dont have the knowledge to give them some idea what the problem is.

Really good post. Thanks.

Sometimes you have to apply for it.. With X-box live I did, when I tested the Euroreef skimmers I did. Once you have tested something it gets easier.

Other than that it is networking I guess is the term, but you need knowledge and experience too. Getting to know people in the hobby, getting your name out there so people know who you are. Going to trade shows and talking to vendors. Going to something like Imac or Macna is huge and just shaking hands. Having a few drinks with them in the bar after or going to dinner and really talking to them. I am not talking buy them dinner or drinks, just sit down and have a normal conversation it may not even be about reef aquariums. Make friends.

Example: One year at Imac we were drinking in the hotel lobby and we had a cooler of beer. This vendor that was there with his fish food sat down next to me and I gave him a beer. We talked for hours and then he goes hey I have this new food coming out I would like you to try it for a year. Basically he wanted to send me a year supply of his new food and let him know how I liked it. I also met Walt Smith the same night and he said I should come down to Fiji and see his operation and do some diving.

Going to reef club meetings. Driving to some of the larger retailers, we used to do this all the time. We would drive to Harbor Aquatics, drive to Premium Aquatics. One year we put together a trip to Premium Aquatics with people from Reefcentral. People showed up from all over. Premium Aquatics grilled out for us.

We did all of this not to test stuff out, we did this stuff because we loved the hobby and wanted to meet others that loved the hobby like we did. It had nothing to do with wanting to test equipment. If you are doing it for that reason it probably never will and that is the way you need to think about it. I just love talking to people about the hobby and especially biology and equipment.

Heck even attending some of these Vendor live streams and speaking up could help. Some of the live streams for other things too.

Have a nice tank so people believe you know what you are doing.

Do equipment reviews on the forums.

Really love the hobby and be honest.

I see people asking or even begging to test stuff and that does not work. I think it actually makes it worse and do not bug them. Unless it is through application they will ask you.

I do not think it is as easy to get your name out there now a days. There are so many more people in the hobby.

Also there is a difference between a reviewer and a tester. I am talking about testing.

If you ever get the privilege to test something be honest and make sure you believe in the product when you talk about it.

Edit:

Another thing if you get to test something for a company be honest with them. Something you do not like in a game or something is wrong with a piece of equipment tell them. I see so many testers telling companies what they think they want to hear or trying to butter them up. Oh your product is so good.. Let me tell you either they fix it and if they do not and there ends up being a problem after release. Guess who is getting the invite back? you.. They will go hey this guy knows something we should have listened to him, we better make sure he is involved in our next project.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@CoralVue does Hydros work with any other testers other than Alkatronic? I really cant stand Neptune anymore. Are there any plans for addons or anything that you can share?

I saw in a video they are working with the Reef Kinetics on the Reef Bot I think it was. So hopefully we see that.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back