The Hydros

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are some thoughts on the Hydros controller?

I watched aYouTube interview with Coralvue. They explained all the features and answered a lot of questions. They said they have a bunch of new stuff coming out for it too. It might give Apex some serious competition. No more bundles of power bricks, rats nest of wires, no modules for each thing on your tank, and no more coding to make things work. Cheaper too.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
joshwaggs

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the video they said they purposely sent the test equipment with no instructions. It is awesome that we are finally getting some serious competition for Apex.

I love to see some serious, well thought out, alternatives. Apex is just way too complex. Simple stuff like setting up a feed cycle for maintenance, adding equipment, and setting outlets, is like a small project in google dorking, forum searching, and inflight rocket repair.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few things I really like about this controller. The ability to run some lights and pumps without the power bricks being the one I love the most. I am not a fan of the wireless powerbar. I prefer to have the life support system wired in as much as possible. It gives be a sound piece of mind and my level of trust is much greater.
I think the best thing that will come from it is more innovation from Neptune. They will have to adapt rather quickly. The Trident and DOS is hard to compete with for me personally.
Hopefully the HYDROS and Neptune having to compete will get them to make other companies allow their equipment to be integrated. It would be nice to not have multiple apps to run my tank.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In the video they said they purposely sent the test equipment with no instructions. It is awesome that we are finally getting some serious competition for Apex.

I love to see some serious, well thought out, alternatives. Apex is just way too complex. Simple stuff like setting up a feed cycle for maintenance, adding equipment, and setting outlets, is like a small project in google dorking, forum searching, and inflight rocket repair.

It's only my opinion, but Apex is actually pretty easy as they make it novice-friendly, and as powerful as you want it to be.

OP
OP
joshwaggs

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a few things I really like about this controller. The ability to run some lights and pumps without the power bricks being the one I love the most. I am not a fan of the wireless powerbar. I prefer to have the life support system wired in as much as possible. It gives be a sound piece of mind and my level of trust is much greater.
I think the best thing that will come from it is more innovation from Neptune. They will have to adapt rather quickly. The Trident and DOS is hard to compete with for me personally.
Hopefully the HYDROS and Neptune having to compete will get them to make other companies allow their equipment to be integrated. It would be nice to not have multiple apps to run my tank.
Defnitely. Trident is much better than the competition and Apex has some good stuff, but hopefully the new stuff Coralvue makes for the Hydros will be on par or better.

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Defnitely. Trident is much better than the competition and Apex has some good stuff, but hopefully the new stuff Coralvue makes for the Hydros will be on par or better.

I certainly hope so as we could use some solid competition. But you have to remember, competition is about 10 years behind Neptune.

OP
OP
joshwaggs

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only my opinion, but Apex is actually pretty easy as they make it novice-friendly, and as powerful as you want it to be.
I still feel like a novice every time I try something with the Apex, though. It is a pain to do anything other than what is already built in. Having to search some old forum for clues about setting something up drives me nuts.

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this controller connect all your tunzes and maxspect gyres as well or do you need the hydros waveengine as a separate entity for that?

Other than acting as a wifi controller for plug-ins which a simple kasa smart outlet strip can do, other than leak detection and trivial things like that, what other functions are users excited for? Having a hard time determining the usefulness of a controller of any brand. Interested in one though, because gear is fun.

Regarding the controller as a temperature sensor, do we still prefer something like the ranco and not relying on these controllers?

Trying to figure out what I'd exactly plug into it.

OP
OP
joshwaggs

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this controller connect all your tunzes and maxspect gyres as well or do you need the hydros waveengine as a separate entity for that?

Other than acting as a wifi controller for apps which a simple kasa smart outlet strip can do, other than leak detection and trivial things like that, what other functions are users excited for? Having a hard time determining the usefulness of a controller of any brand. Interested in one though, because gear is fun.

Regarding the controller as a temperature sensor, do we still prefer something like the ranco and not relying on these controllers?

This explains everything.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my Control 2 and Control 4.
I am picking up a third one for my other system and retiring my Apex.
It is just so much easier and is designed on newer technology. Easy is not even the word.

It is cloud based, has blue tooth, wireless plugstrips.
It has a App that can connect real time through a cloud for full control from anywhere.
It does not have a central brain like other controllers and if that brain fails the whole system goes down.
Each module can pick up if one goes down. Heck something I did not know that was in the last video is even the sense module can run the system. So basically on my collective if my control 4 drops any WIFI strips ran through it will be picked up by my Control 2 or a sense module. I do not have a sense module yet though.

But seriously it is the ease of operation that makes this so good. It also can be as easy or as advanced as you want it to be. Presets work fine but click the advance tab and it opens a whole new world for allot of equipment.

I like they are a little more open to other manufacture's equipment .

It will be interesting where Coralvue takes this. There are allot of things to add in the future. Something like the Apex has been around a while and allot of people have a lot invested in the Apex already. I think they have a real shot and their is room for more controllers especially affordable controllers.. That spot was left wide open when Digital Aquatics went under and we lost the ReefKeeper lite and also when the Apex JR was cancelled. Control 2 is a blessing for me since I have so many separate systems.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I certainly hope so as we could use some solid competition. But you have to remember, competition is about 10 years behind Neptune.

Yea but on much newer technology so actually it is ahead of the competition in some ways..
But yea they will have limited products at first. I am actually surprised they do have so much and way more than I thought they would. Also good to see they are working with other companies and are able to connect to things like the Alkatronics that kind of helps things .

It certainly will be interesting and competition is good.

Last edited:

mzaslove

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm totally getting it on the 31st, as I was stuck between choosing the Apex and the GHL and not completely liking both. This is SO what I need (maybe not for everyone, but...it's pretty close). Plus it hooks directly to Focustronics stuff (like their Alkatronic) so the Trident part of the Apex platform is taken care of (and in, to me, a better way). These things are built the way I want my controllers to be (since I keep them nearish to water) and are way more water resistant than the other controllers. Direct pump control for some pumps is a nice add. I do wish Ecotech would play nice with everyone (Apex and Hydros, everyone). Plus, lots of things coming out in the future that I gather are going to be really cool.

Totally. Getting.

OP
OP
joshwaggs

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex is like the Iphone. They seem to be recycling older technology and marketing it as game changing. They have the resources to make some really game changing stuff. Maybe this will push them out of their current pace.

Coralvue made all this new stuff in three years. Neptune has been working on this stuff for decades.

(Dont mean to make this an Apex bash post)

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Apex is like the Iphone. They seem to be recycling older technology and marketing it as game changing. They have the resources to make some really game changing stuff. Maybe this will push them out of their current pace.

Coralvue made all this new stuff in three years. Neptune has been working on this stuff for decades.

(Dont mean to make this an Apex bash post)

Lets face it allot comes down to marketing too and cool factor. Some has to do with heard mentality.
I just hate fanboys too. I really like trucks and spend allot of time on the truck forums. I am not loyal to any brand and buy what fits me best for my needs. I like to try different trucks, My last truck was a Chevy Colorado and my New one is a Ford Ranger. But holy cow I say something nice about the Colorado on the Ranger forums and they want to lynch me. Its Crazy, Tacoma fan boys are the worst, I never seen so much hate. But the point is all equipment has strengths and weaknesses and not every product fits everyone. Some might prefer the Apex or GHL and that is fine.

Your right this should not turn into a bash the other controller thread and I do not think it has.
There will be comparisons especially against the Apex because they have the largest chunk of the market.

OP
OP
joshwaggs

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets face it allot comes down to marketing too and cool factor. Some has to do with heard mentality.
I just hate fanboys too. I really like trucks and spend allot of time on the truck forums. I am not loyal to any brand and buy what fits me best for my needs. I like to try different trucks, My last truck was a Chevy Colorado and my New one is a Ford Ranger. But holy cow I say something nice about the Colorado on the Ranger forums and they want to lynch me. Its Crazy, Tacoma fan boys are the worst, I never seen so much hate. But the point is all equipment has strengths and weaknesses and not every product fits everyone. Some might prefer the Apex or GHL and that is fine.

Your right this should not turn into a bash the other controller thread and I do not think it has.
There will be comparisons especially against the Apex because they have the largest chunk of the market.
Did we just become best friends? If so, can I borrow your Hydros?

giphy.gif

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Other than acting as a wifi controller for plug-ins which a simple kasa smart outlet strip can do, other than leak detection and trivial things like that, what other functions are users excited for? Having a hard time determining the usefulness of a controller of any brand. Interested in one though, because gear is fun.

Well it can do allot more than just turn a outlet on and off. I also have used Kasa smart outlets before. I used them for light control and used them to control my stirrer on my kalk reactor.

You also could use a Ranco too which is a great product which I have also used. Your choice but you are almost at the price of a Control 2 starter pack.

Controllers can do allot more. They have 0-10v. You connect sensors and switches to them. They can control relays. I am setting it up to control my r/o system with relays and float switch. I use it to control my Klirs and it does it directly. They can test PH and ORP. They can be used to control calcium reactors. The Control 2 & 4 are controlled via app so you can see the temperature and have alerts.

I am looking at using mine for auto water changes where I just hit a physical button.

Do you need a controller? Absolutely not but they can make life simpler. If you want just on/off and heat control and that is all you need that is fine what you described.

I am not a fan of the wireless powerbar. I prefer to have the life support system wired in as much as possible. It gives be a sound piece of mind and my level of trust is much greater.

I understand this concern. Having a decent WIFI router is huge part of reliability on wireless. Some people have set up a dedicated WIFI network just for their control units too. Wireless has come along way and are pretty reliable now a days but some do have issues.

You can run direct drive and not use WIFI or just put non critical stuff on the WIFI plug strip if you are worried. You do not need plug strips and the unit can be bought with out one.

There are advantages though to WIFI like no cords. I am setting up my RO/Di system to run off my control but it is no where near it. I will just put a single WIFI outlet over there and a solenoid. No wires to run. That solenoid shuts off the water totally to the Ro unit when a float switch in my fresh water vat is full.

You have a point though and WIFI is only as reliable as the reliability of your wireless network.

Also the unit itself can also be accessed via Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Back