OP
OP
joshwaggs

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw in a video they are working with the Reef Kinetics on the Reef Bot I think it was. So hopefully we see that.
Good. Although the reefbot is getting horrible reviews and no customer service.
The Trident seems to be the best one, but I have Apex classic. Im not going to buy another Apex just so I can spent another 500 on the Trident. On top of that, it would probably involve graduate level research just to get it setup.

Maybe they are working on their own Coralvue Tester. That would be perfect.

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will answer that is a round about way. I have beta tested lots of things in different fields.
I have beta tested Xbox live before it was launched, I have tested Windows server, and I have tested aquarium products for different companies. I have beta tested lots of video games too. I am not talking you buy the video game early and get beta. I mean before games launch and are in development.

For example Xbox live which was a long time ago... It was my networking experience and the fact I was a gamer. They need people that were familiar with routers, networking, internet and such. Gaming experienced helps but they did not just want gamers. Gamers are ok for stress testing servers but that is it. They did not want to hold everyone's hands for things like setting up routers etc. I was partial owner of a web company and installed DSL. Also my main job is partially IT. So that is how I got picked.

Now in the reef hobby I would guess I get asked because I have been in the reef hobby 30+ years. I have a degree in mechanical engineering and I also work for a electrical engineering place in which I do some engineering and IT work.
I also know allot of people in the reef industry. I have tested everything from Salt to Web cameras for the hobby. As for a web camera for the reef hobby you can see where knowledge of IT is helpful..

Beta testing is not always fun and games. It can be allot of work sometimes.

For Xbox live I was trying to get errors and trying to recreate those errors. Take pictures or video of errors and fill out bug reports, same with most video games. Sometimes it can be allot of work especially when something does not work as intended. Filling out bug reports etc can be allot of work. You are trying to break stuff. With reef aquarium stuff you can be putting your tank at risk sometimes. With Aquarium controllers you need to have back up systems in case it does have a issue. When you start testing a product it is not always fully functional or you hit a bug that messes things up. You brick something which does happen. You are literally trying to break the thing. You can beat your head against a wall for hours trying to fix something or get something to work and you think you did something wrong and find out yea it was a bug. Sometimes it can be really frustrating.

That said for people like me who like messing with this stuff it can be allot of fun too. For me I really like tinkering with this stuff and figuring stuff out. If you do not it is not for you.

Allot of time in the end there is nothing free. Games are good only for a certain amount of time. Windows server beta only lasted a few months and would stop working. For the reef hobby some beta equipment is built rather cheaply. Like magnet are not always coated well because the units is only made to be used shortly or they are made with cheap plastic. I have been part of betas were the equipment is shipped back to them because they do not want beta equipment floating around causing issues. You are not always testing a retail version of a product. All I am saying is when you beta test something do not expect to get something for free. That is not why you do it and another good way to never get asked back.

I never go into it expecting something for free, if I do great. I go into it trying to help the company build a better product and I also get to tinker with something different. I bolded that because it is the most important thing for anyone who gets asked. I take testing product seriously.

Sometimes it cost money too. Reef equipment sent to be tested my require pumps or plumbing etc.

I think you're missing the point. We just want cool new stuff for free! :)

Seriously, glad someone is doing this so what eventually hits the market will be something good for the hobby. Tank automation needs some healthy competition.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love my Control 2 and Control 4.
I am picking up a third one for my other system and retiring my Apex.
It is just so much easier and is designed on newer technology. Easy is not even the word.

It is cloud based, has blue tooth, wireless plugstrips.
It has a App that can connect real time through a cloud for full control from anywhere.
It does not have a central brain like other controllers and if that brain fails the whole system goes down.
Each module can pick up if one goes down. Heck something I did not know that was in the last video is even the sense module can run the system. So basically on my collective if my control 4 drops any WIFI strips ran through it will be picked up by my Control 2 or a sense module. I do not have a sense module yet though.

But seriously it is the ease of operation that makes this so good. It also can be as easy or as advanced as you want it to be. Presets work fine but click the advance tab and it opens a whole new world for allot of equipment.

I like they are a little more open to other manufacture's equipment .

It will be interesting where Coralvue takes this. There are allot of things to add in the future. Something like the Apex has been around a while and allot of people have a lot invested in the Apex already. I think they have a real shot and their is room for more controllers especially affordable controllers.. That spot was left wide open when Digital Aquatics went under and we lost the ReefKeeper lite and also when the Apex JR was cancelled. Control 2 is a blessing for me since I have so many separate systems.
I am doing the same! My second apex bit the dust a month ago - and I just plugged everything into a burger suppressor - the second apex - I dont really look at - and basically use it as an expensive power strip - heater control - I have tended to use the controllers/etc - with whatever product I have. Found apex (just my opinion) - difficult with my AI hydras. And - the Maxspect interface is great - as is the radio G5 (again my opinion) - so I have relied less on the apex. Im hoping (but who knows ) - that the salinity monitor - and some of the other things they are coming out with will be awesome

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Hydros have the ability to data log the ph and temp?

Looks like it. I haven’t hooked up the pH probe yet.

0F80458A-1CFD-4CF2-B245-48BDF008D282.png

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 60 46.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back