I own the following item from Hydros:
  • x4
  • WaveEngine v2
  • xp8 (2 of them)
  • x3 (2 of them)
  • xs
  • All the various sensors
  • Dosing Pump
You get the idea, I went all in with the Hydros ecosystem. For the past three years, I have only had one small issue. The first issue was a faulty level sensor that was under warranty; CoralVue replaced it without an issue.

Now the problem, a couple of weeks ago my x4 started flashing red & white. It has completely stopped working. I opened a ticket with CoralVue and they stated that the product is out of warranty. They offered to fix it at no cost, except to cover the shipping. A couple of days go by:

"Your unit arrived and was evaluated by the technician. It was not able to be fixed. I have spoken to my supervisor and was told that I can offer you a new X4 with a full warranty at a 10% discount with free shipping."

They gave no reason why it couldn't be fixed. I think it is ridiculous to offer only a 10% discount, the same discount they do for holidays, for replacing their faulty product. They offered to send the faulty x4 back to me for $10 shipping.

This is so disappointing because I like the Hydros products and software. One would think their flagship product would last more than 3 years. I think I am going to either switch to Apex or get out of the hobby, haven't decided yet ... sigh.

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
That kinda sucks. Wasn't the BF sale more than 10% off? They should at least offer it at wholesale cost.

J A M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 years with all that equipment and now this issue, feel like things should last more than 3 years, but any possible events outside of the manufacturers control happen? did you do any mods, any power surges, lightning strikes, generators used, stuff like that?

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had horrible luck with Hydros. It's still driving the gyre pump*, but that's it. I had so many problems with it, so many 'workarounds' that had to be implemented, connection problems, wifi power strip problems, things not syncing up properly, losing access to the app when it would update etc etc etc and I finally gave up on it when it decided it wanted to start pumping water into my tank for no apparent reason. I consider myself very lucky I just happened to notice that as I was leaving for work in the morning.

The Hydros was, by far, the biggest waste of money and time I've spent on my tanks. That was like six hundred bucks directly into the garbage.

I'm still kicking myself for not returning it to BRS when it had problems right out of the box. That's on me.

*That's the *included* gyre pump that doesn't actually work properly with the Hydros.

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had horrible luck with Hydros. It's still driving the gyre pump*, but that's it. I had so many problems with it, so many 'workarounds' that had to be implemented, connection problems, wifi power strip problems, things not syncing up properly, losing access to the app when it would update etc etc etc and I finally gave up on it when it decided it wanted to start pumping water into my tank for no apparent reason. I consider myself very lucky I just happened to notice that as I was leaving for work in the morning.

The Hydros was, by far, the biggest waste of money and time I've spent on my tanks. That was like six hundred bucks directly into the garbage.

I'm still kicking myself for not returning it to BRS when it had problems right out of the box. That's on me.

*That's the *included* gyre pump that doesn't actually work properly with the Hydros.
Did you ever reach out to [email protected] for help?

J A M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do know hydros has issues with 3rd party wifi power strips and is dependant on the quality of your home wifi network. did any of these things cause you issues?

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own the following item from Hydros:
  • x4
  • WaveEngine v2
  • xp8 (2 of them)
  • x3 (2 of them)
  • xs
  • All the various sensors
  • Dosing Pump
You get the idea, I went all in with the Hydros ecosystem. For the past three years, I have only had one small issue. The first issue was a faulty level sensor that was under warranty; CoralVue replaced it without an issue.

Now the problem, a couple of weeks ago my x4 started flashing red & white. It has completely stopped working. I opened a ticket with CoralVue and they stated that the product is out of warranty. They offered to fix it at no cost, except to cover the shipping. A couple of days go by:

"Your unit arrived and was evaluated by the technician. It was not able to be fixed. I have spoken to my supervisor and was told that I can offer you a new X4 with a full warranty at a 10% discount with free shipping."

They gave no reason why it couldn't be fixed. I think it is ridiculous to offer only a 10% discount, the same discount they do for holidays, for replacing their faulty product. They offered to send the faulty x4 back to me for $10 shipping.

This is so disappointing because I like the Hydros products and software. One would think their flagship product would last more than 3 years. I think I am going to either switch to Apex or get out of the hobby, haven't decided yet ... sigh.

That sucks. It's still better than Eshopps who never even responds to problems at all. Not even when BRS helps out.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought alot of stuff from Coralvue last year, and I can attest that their service level has dropped drastically....(I have an unresolved issue with a skimmer I bought from them).....I no longer buy from them anymore.....

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have this horrible experience and the biggest waste of money ever while in the hobby and you can't remember if you even reached out for support?
Did I stutter?
Edit: That was overly harsh. The Hyros system really frustrated me. It was an enormous waste of money and this all happened like two years ago, so I really don't remember what I did regarding contacting them.
However, it should be noted that even if I did (and again, I don't remember) they weren't going to be able to fix the garbage hardware they were using. In fact, some of the problems they specifically blamed on their garbage hardware.

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone and @rural-reefer! Quick update: I only recently caught this post.

On the day this post went up, we were already in touch with @rural-reefer through our support channel. Our head technician pinpointed the problem and provided a repair solution at a cost significantly below the anticipated 10%. Our commitment to customer satisfaction is paramount, and I'm pleased to report that we reached a positive resolution. Happy to share this good news with you all!

Last edited:

J A M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I stutter?
Edit: That was overly harsh. The Hyros system really frustrated me. It was an enormous waste of money and this all happened like two years ago, so I really don't remember what I did regarding contacting them.
However, it should be noted that even if I did (and again, I don't remember) they weren't going to be able to fix the garbage hardware they were using. In fact, some of the problems they specifically blamed on their garbage hardware.

J A M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I stutter?
so if they blamed something on garbage hardware, you contacted them

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if the blamed something on garbage hardware, you contacted them
If you say so, but again, I don't remember.
Their website also covers some of the problems with their junk hardware, I may have just read it there.

J A M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you say so, but again, I don't remember.
Their website also covers some of the problems with their junk hardware, I may have just read it there.
OK, so their website states they have garbage hardware. You can't remember the story, but still can bash a product. It makes a lot of sense now, I'm chalking this one up to user error.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can chalk it up to whatever you want. It doesn't change the fact that it's junk. Besides, it's not like I'm alone here:

(Edit, for what it's worth, I have their email address as one of my contacts, so I must have emailed them at some point in the past, but the emails are long gone)

Last edited:

Connor At CoralVue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Errone settle down now. At the day we are all working hard to keep our aquatic animals thriving.

We spend a lot of time and effort developing our products and apologize for any negative experience you may have had.

I also urge people to read the attached article above and perceive their own product research :)

xtianGEO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello everyone and @rural-reefer! Quick update: I only recently caught this post.

On the day this post went up, we were already in touch with @rural-reefer through our support channel. Our head technician pinpointed the problem and provided a repair solution at a cost significantly below the anticipated 10%. Our commitment to customer satisfaction is paramount, and I'm pleased to report that we reached a positive resolution. Happy to share this good news with you all!
oh crap, you exist. I hoping to sell my new unopened Apex to try you guys out. Does Hydros support if/when statements?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back