The IM 30L Office Reef

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

This is my second saltwater aquarium. The first was pretty successful at times, but I got burned out and sold everything off. Now I have moved states, had a baby, and ready to get something new set up. This will probably be a mixed reef with some heavy doses of acros, because they're the best . Glad to be back.

Equipment:
30L Nuvo Fusion Pro
Innovative Marine Stand
2 x IM Custom Caddies
2 InTank Filter Floss Holders
2 x AI Prime 16HDs
Kessil AP9X
Mighty Jet Return Pump
Finnex HMA-S 150W Heater
BRS Titanium Heater
Sicce Voyager Nano Powerhead
MP 10
2 x SpinStreams
Ink Bird Temperature Controller

ApexEL

Fish:
Bonded pair of ORA Black Ice Clownfish
Pygmy (Cherub) Angel
Mystery Wrasse
Black Cap Basslet

Coral:

SPS
ASD Phoenix Monti
Apple Berry Monti
AV99 Orange Crush
BC Aquatic-Man Table
BC Bubblebath Unicorn
BC Tijuana Taxi
Forest Fire Digi
JF Beach Bun Monti
JF Solar Flare
ORA Birds of Paradise Birdsnest
ORA Steller Stylo
PC Rainbow
RN Teal Creeper
RR The Vinh
RRC Pink Cadillac
TCK Ultimate Stag
TGC Starfire

Tyree Rainbow Monti
Vivid Confetti
WWC Pink Lipstick
WWC Yellow Tips

LPS
Indo Gold Torch
JF Jack-o-Lantern Leptoseeris
Rainbow Pectinia
Space Invader Pectinia

Zoas and Palys
Blondies
Chong Bong
JF Stargazer
Mary Jane
Milky Way
Purple Hornet

Sonic Flares
Space Chaos
Utter Choas
White Walker

Softies
Clove Polyps
Jawbreaker Mushroom

FTS 10/15/2020
tempImageyhuoOF.jpg

FTS 2/22/2021
4AF08D5C-4D2F-4186-BEBE-49AEBCA93C74.jpeg
FTS 10/1/202
tempImage5l0hGf.jpg
FTS 7/27/2022
IMG_9794.jpeg

Last edited:

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are off to a great start! I look forward to seeing your reef grow!

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have this tank. It’s awesome. Not sure what your coral ambitions are, but I’d recommend a second light especially if you plan on SPS. I had to add a third light to mine.

that rock work is awesome.

OP
OP
chrisjj625

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this tank. It’s awesome. Not sure what your coral ambitions are, but I’d recommend a second light especially if you plan on SPS. I had to add a third light to mine.

that rock work is awesome.

Thank you! Second light is already on the list when I start getting coral. Not sure on the 3rd yet. Do you think it’s necessary with SPS.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you! Second light is already on the list when I start getting coral. Not sure on the 3rd yet. Do you think it’s necessary with SPS.
Totally depends on your lights. I use Radion G4 pros and have them the recommended 7” off top of tank. I did 3 so I could put SPS anywhere I wanted.

with 1 you could do SPS as long as they are in the right place to get enough light.

OP
OP
chrisjj625

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally depends on your lights. I use Radion G4 pros and have them the recommended 7” off top of tank. I did 3 so I could put SPS anywhere I wanted.

with 1 you could do SPS as long as they are in the right place to get enough light.

Well I’m doing AI Primes, so hopefully two works for a bit until I get a bunch of sps and need to working about shadows.

OP
OP
chrisjj625

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updated equipment list (MP 10 and AP9X), Livestock list (tons of new coral) and FTS. Need to get some more pictures of all the new livestock. For now you'll have to settle for my brief update.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure how long it will be before you have issues but the "taller" rock doesn't give much room for the corals to grow. I ran into the same issue with my IM lagoon 25. Just gives you an excuse to upgrade when you reach that point. It looks great so far!

OP
OP
chrisjj625

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the tank...Any concerns about the angel and your corals. Angels have been known to snack on a polyp or two....

Not a ton, when he first went in I saw him hit a new frag here or there, but he stays on the rock, even hits close to corals, but I can see the algae he was going for. it’s nature and he’s a cool fish so unless he’s killing stuff or eating whole polyps, I’ll deal with it. Angels are always going to be a risk.

Not sure how long it will be before you have issues but the "taller" rock doesn't give much room for the corals to grow. I ran into the same issue with my IM lagoon 25. Just gives you an excuse to upgrade when you reach that point. It looks great so far!

I know, I didn’t think too far ahead, but I’m fine with it for now, sure stuff will base out a lot first. If stuff starts poking out I’ll have to start fragging or raise the water level or upgrade.

rob s.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a ton, when he first went in I saw him hit a new frag here or there, but he stays on the rock, even hits close to corals, but I can see the algae he was going for. it’s nature and he’s a cool fish so unless he’s killing stuff or eating whole polyps, I’ll deal with it. Angels are always going to be a risk.

I know, I didn’t think too far ahead, but I’m fine with it for now, sure stuff will base out a lot first. If stuff starts poking out I’ll have to start fragging or raise the water level or upgrade.
sounds good....i know i woke one morning to find my birdsnest almost half gone of polyps so it can happen quickly. Good luck I hope you have one that isn't a big fan of polyps

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back