The inspectors Bow front reef

jdinspector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my full dive into the reef aquarium on 10/21/2017 a week after my wedding! Prior to it I had tested the water with a 10 gallon nano tank, and helping my father update his 10+ year FOWLR tank (still one of my most enjoyable experiences in this hobby but would take another thread on its own). As I am approaching a year for both my reef and marriage I have had many challenges and learned a lot!

My display tank is a 36 gallon Aqueon bow front tank, with a trigger 26 sump. The display is lit by a kessil A360W with controller and an AI prime HD. I started with a vortech mp10 for flow, but switched to an ice cap 1K gyre, and 2 sunsun JVP 110 power heads (I plan to upgrade the sunsun power heads to current USA eflux pumps in the next few months).

I started out with an Ice cap k2-50 protein skimmer which ran well but was finicky. The pump on the skimmer died after about 9 monthes. Coralvue did replace the pump, but the shipping took more time than I was comfortable going without a skimmer so I took the opportunity to upgrade to a reef octopus 150sss space safer skimmer. It has been absolutley amazing.

I run two media filters, a somatic UF-1 with Aquaforest zeo media, and a minimax media reactor with Xport biocubes . My return pump is a rossmont rider r3200 which has been reliable and absolutely silent.

I have tried to run a refugium but have had chaeto die on me 3 sepreate times (all from different vendors) so I have settled on a live rock rubble sump and bacteria driven system.

I have a 3 part dosing pump running the Aquaforest 123+ system. I also run Aquaforest reef salt, and some of the Aquaforest line of coral supplements.

I hope to have an SPS dominant system in the future. For now I have a Duncan coral, Lobo, 2 heads of Acan, and a few zoas from local vendors. A forest fire digitata, a blue/purple acro with green polyps, a milka stylo, and a jason fox Green light Hirsuta. All of my corals have seen better days sadly. While on vacation I lost my six line Wrasse causing a nutrient spike, then a cyano outbreak. When I almost had everything back under control is when the original skimmer pump died. A busy month later I am starting to get things back under control and see my corals bounce back.

For fish I currently have a tail spot blenny, a royal gramma, a maroon clownfish, and a longfin banded basslet. I hope/plan on adding a hawkfish (likely longnose) or potentially a perchlet in the future once things have re-settled. I also have a peppermint shrimp, and cleanup crew of various snails and hermit crabs.

I am doing my best to remain patient so my system can settle down before I add anything more. My goal is to not add any coral/fish until November of this year.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a nice build, let's see some pics!

OP
OP
J

jdinspector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20171020_191403.jpg
20171020_191403.jpg
20171101_085843.jpg
1509580828075jpg.0.jpg
1510966352644jpg.0-1.jpg
41396182671805404060.0.jpg
Some various full tank and in progress pictures. Will try to get an updated picture in the next week or so.

View attachment 20180714_102924.jpg

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Thanks for sharing! I picked up the exact same same tank. Right now it's set up as my qt tank, but not for long, they are way to nice not to be using them as a DT. Might set it up for my son down the road.

OP
OP
J

jdinspector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180904_090915.jpg
Quick update

I have finally made progress on the cyanobacteria issue I had going and am down to just a few small growths in the back. I upgraded my power head to a current USA 660, and 1,000 and have been very happy with three results. They are quiet, powerful with great controllability for the price and size of the pumps.

About a week ago my corals started to look a little rough, my Alk had dropped almost 3 points from 10 to 7. I increased my 3 part dosing by 3 Mls per day, and used some buffer solution to slowly bring is back up. Its sitting around 9 as of this morning. I plan on testing once or twice per day all week to keep an eye on it and make whatever adjustments needed to help it stabilize. I did a 20% water chance a few days after I noticed the corals looking rough. I checked the Alk of my new salt and it was 7.5, so I found the cause. Between the lower alk of this salt bucket and the coral growth I saw my doser couldn't keep up.

My cleanup crew has become rather depleted and I will need to make a trip to restock.

Overall a few minor hiccups but fairly solid progress and have seen some nice growth on the corals so far, and the live stock has been very happy.

I have started using an app called aquarium note to track my parameters as well as schedule maintenance and feedings so I can keep things consistent. So far the app has worked well and been very helpful!

OP
OP
J

jdinspector

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tanks been running for over a year now, and been very smooth/stable for the last few months.

My wife wanted to get me some corals for our anniversary, so I picked some out from Cherry Corals, they had a great selection left from their Halloween live sale! I got a bunch of corals I've wanted for a long time. I got the acclimated and placed in the tank earlier today. I'm excited to see some growth from these!

Lots of floating bags!
20181102_110947.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back