The Maelstrom 120

OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

View Badges
Reaction score
Good morning!

20200114_080316.jpg

Pardon the snakes in the sump, waiting on probe holders to arrive.

20200114_081139.jpg

Even with pictures, aquascape wasn't coming together as planned, so I ended up redoing it. Need to get some epoxy to snap two stones together on the small island.

20200114_081156.jpg

Last edited:
Corals.com

Heathd

View Badges
Reaction score
The lights from the above pics are complete diy, they are controlled with reefpi (7 channels); however, those are not what I ended up going with. It just ended up being too much DIY for which I didn't have time for, so I just went with a more off the shelf piece.

I ended up picking up two viparspectra lights, replaced some 6500k whites with 20k and 3 blues with 395nn. Both viparspectra lights are also controlled with Reef pi.

The diy setup will end up over my coral/invert QT.
Where did you buy your replacement LEDs from? Im assuming the replacements were loose and not already installed on cobs? I have a couple of black boxes and would like to do the same. Appreciate any info you could pass along.

OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

View Badges
Reaction score
Where did you buy your replacement LEDs from? Im assuming the replacements were loose and not already installed on cobs? I have a couple of black boxes and would like to do the same. Appreciate any info you could pass along.
Ebay. Just look for US shipper and it takes 3-5 days. Then all you need is some thermal compound and a soldering iron.

OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

View Badges
Reaction score
Tested parameters yesterday and as I thought, getting a little mini cycle. Ammonia gets processed fairly quick but nitrites are at 0.2.

Also, very strange, po4 was 0.49! Source rodi is 0.00. No idea where it's coming from, but not a start I was hoping for.

Do you reef more, less or the same on the weekends?

• MORE

Votes: 137 61.2%
  • LESS

Votes: 16 7.1%
  • SAME

Votes: 71 31.7%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Tunze