OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Good morning!

20200114_080316.jpg

Pardon the snakes in the sump, waiting on probe holders to arrive.

20200114_081139.jpg

Even with pictures, aquascape wasn't coming together as planned, so I ended up redoing it. Need to get some epoxy to snap two stones together on the small island.

20200114_081156.jpg

Last edited:
Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Heathd

View Badges
Reaction score
The lights from the above pics are complete diy, they are controlled with reefpi (7 channels); however, those are not what I ended up going with. It just ended up being too much DIY for which I didn't have time for, so I just went with a more off the shelf piece.

I ended up picking up two viparspectra lights, replaced some 6500k whites with 20k and 3 blues with 395nn. Both viparspectra lights are also controlled with Reef pi.

The diy setup will end up over my coral/invert QT.
Where did you buy your replacement LEDs from? Im assuming the replacements were loose and not already installed on cobs? I have a couple of black boxes and would like to do the same. Appreciate any info you could pass along.

OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Where did you buy your replacement LEDs from? Im assuming the replacements were loose and not already installed on cobs? I have a couple of black boxes and would like to do the same. Appreciate any info you could pass along.
Ebay. Just look for US shipper and it takes 3-5 days. Then all you need is some thermal compound and a soldering iron.

OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Tested parameters yesterday and as I thought, getting a little mini cycle. Ammonia gets processed fairly quick but nitrites are at 0.2.

Also, very strange, po4 was 0.49! Source rodi is 0.00. No idea where it's coming from, but not a start I was hoping for.

OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Haven't updated my in a while, but not much has changed. Dry rock had a tiny cycle but leveling out again now. Next week will probably do a 25g water change as phosphates are high from somewhere (1.49).

Got this handsome mated pair of Mochavinci clowns going through QT. Week one in copper done, one to go; then transfer tanks and GC for 14 days, then in the big house they go.

Still trying to figure out their food. I picked up some froze PE mysis and LRS Fish Frenzy. They didn't really go for it much, maybe it was to big? I also got some TDO chroma boost pellets and they go nuts for it, so that's what I've been mixing with focus+gc+selcon and feeding that once a day, then just pellets for the rest of the day.

Those who use frozen foods, how do you prepare/feed them? I was just really surprised when they wouldn't go for frozen PE mysis and fish frenzy... And I've got a ton left, don't really wanna waste it.

PS. White spots are specs on the glass, looks like ick in pictures lol.

20200117_125022.jpg

Last edited:
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Mini-update:

Clowns are almost done with the 14 days in copper, nice and healthy. Tomorrow they're going into another tank and get 14 days in General Cure.

As for the 120, two weeks now skimmer has been going nuts, overflowing no matter what. So I did a 25 gallon WC and dropped in some carbon in the filter cups... What do you know? Skimmer calmed down. It really didn't like something from the initial fill.

PO4 dropped waaaaay down. I'm think I messed something up with my first reading last week (1.49)...because today, even before the WC tested and it was 0.04...tested again, 0.05. Ph holding pretty steady 8.3-8.4.

Rigged a 5 gal IO bucket as my temp ATO res.... After 3 days I had to refill, the evaporation rate is pretty silly on this thing. Need to find an alternative.

OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Transfered the clowns to the next QT (14 days General Cure).

20200202_152511.jpg

They were NOT happy about being netted out.

For 120, water looking much cleaner after adding carbon yesterday. Skimmer definitely simmered down quite a bit. Measured nitrates, 10. For giggles tested nitrites, and to my surprise got somewhere between 0.5 and 1. I dosed ammonia two days ago (reading zero today) but nitrites seem to be lagging behind a bit. Seems the mini cycle is still going. Hopefully should be good in thr next 2 weeks before the clowns go in.

OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Your tank is looking nice. I love the aquascape :) . Cant wait to order mine once I move into new place
Thank you! Day to day is being made much easier because of your reef Pi work.
I can't wait to get more fishies and start getting some coral.

Speaking of which, I need to finish setting up my QT for the coral, since I'll have to wait 76 days..... I knew I was forgetting something. ;Facepalm

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

How do you keep your aquarium temperatures down during the hot months?

• Fan

Votes: 124 34.9%
  • Chiller

Votes: 58 16.3%
  • No need

Votes: 149 42.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 24 6.8%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors