The Maelstrom 120

Heathd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights from the above pics are complete diy, they are controlled with reefpi (7 channels); however, those are not what I ended up going with. It just ended up being too much DIY for which I didn't have time for, so I just went with a more off the shelf piece.

I ended up picking up two viparspectra lights, replaced some 6500k whites with 20k and 3 blues with 395nn. Both viparspectra lights are also controlled with Reef pi.

The diy setup will end up over my coral/invert QT.
Where did you buy your replacement LEDs from? Im assuming the replacements were loose and not already installed on cobs? I have a couple of black boxes and would like to do the same. Appreciate any info you could pass along.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where did you buy your replacement LEDs from? Im assuming the replacements were loose and not already installed on cobs? I have a couple of black boxes and would like to do the same. Appreciate any info you could pass along.

Ebay. Just look for US shipper and it takes 3-5 days. Then all you need is some thermal compound and a soldering iron.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tested parameters yesterday and as I thought, getting a little mini cycle. Ammonia gets processed fairly quick but nitrites are at 0.2.

Also, very strange, po4 was 0.49! Source rodi is 0.00. No idea where it's coming from, but not a start I was hoping for.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you cured the rocks how did you feed them? If it was pellets or something like that maybe they absorbed some PO3?

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mini-update:

Clowns are almost done with the 14 days in copper, nice and healthy. Tomorrow they're going into another tank and get 14 days in General Cure.

As for the 120, two weeks now skimmer has been going nuts, overflowing no matter what. So I did a 25 gallon WC and dropped in some carbon in the filter cups... What do you know? Skimmer calmed down. It really didn't like something from the initial fill.

PO4 dropped waaaaay down. I'm think I messed something up with my first reading last week (1.49)...because today, even before the WC tested and it was 0.04...tested again, 0.05. Ph holding pretty steady 8.3-8.4.

Rigged a 5 gal IO bucket as my temp ATO res.... After 3 days I had to refill, the evaporation rate is pretty silly on this thing. Need to find an alternative.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank is looking nice. I love the aquascape :) . Cant wait to order mine once I move into new place

Thank you! Day to day is being made much easier because of your reef Pi work.
I can't wait to get more fishies and start getting some coral.

Speaking of which, I need to finish setting up my QT for the coral, since I'll have to wait 76 days..... I knew I was forgetting something. ;Facepalm

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 67 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back