OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the aquascape...definitely an inspiration for my 120g build.

Thank you for the kind words.

I've had a lot of ideas from seeing other people's scapes and several dry runs on a 2x4 mockup, after which I still ended up changing up from when it came time to put it in the tank because I swear it never comes together same way again.

Kinda worked out in the end.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm after messing with the lights.... I think a floating canopy is in my future, wife is complaining about the light spill. Good thing we didn't put the tank in the living room or I'd be divorced by now or without an aquarium.

Just need to nail down the method of attachment as I don't want it hanging off of the ceiling. Rough idea is to add another 4040 rail to the back wall and attach the canopy to that, sorta like a floating shelf.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Doing a WC this morning, I noticed skmething, or rather lacl of something. Ugly stage.

Tank has been cycled for essentially months, ammonia reads 0 in between small ammonia doses, nitrite same, nitrates hover around 10, phosphates 0.07, 76F, alk 7.5, CA 450, MG 1350....lights have been on for the last month. Rocks still looking pretty much like they did new. Some are starting to get a darker tint but that's it.

Thought I'd definitely be in ugly stage by now and get it out of the way before coral goes in after about 6 weeks in QT. Does the fish need to be in to kick the uglies off? Or am I missing something? Should I start tossing in some food pellets instead of pure ammonia once a week?

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would slowly ramp up feeding to about what it will be when you add fish so there isn’t a huge increase in bio load rapidly. This will allow appropriate bacteria populations to adjust. You will likely get the uglies then. How are those clowns doing!?

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would slowly ramp up feeding to about what it will be when you add fish so there isn’t a huge increase in bio load rapidly. This will allow appropriate bacteria populations to adjust. You will likely get the uglies then. How are those clowns doing!?

Did a fenbendazole bath and transferred to a fresh tank last Saturday. So far so good. May do one more fenbendazole bath before they go into DT this weekend.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a fenbendazole bath and transferred to a fresh tank last Saturday. So far so good. May do one more fenbendazole bath before they go into DT this weekend.
Great. Are you going to QT your new inverts? Since your clowns are already in QT what I like to do is add CUC to DT once the uglies start and do a QT in the DT with the tank fallow. That way the CUC has something to eat and the fish are separate

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great. Are you going to QT your new inverts? Since your clowns are already in QT what I like to do is add CUC to DT once the uglies start and do a QT in the DT with the tank fallow. That way the CUC has something to eat and the fish are separate

Yeah CUC coming in today and will be going into my 10g QT with the coral frags for 6 weeks.

I'll be feeding them a bit of reef frenzy they can pick off of the bottom, maybe toss in some algea wafers and maybe more nori.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got called in to work today so I'm going to have to stalk my nest camera for when the mailman drops the clean up crew package off so I can run by the house and drop them in the tank.
That's so funny. This was me yesterday, exactly. Waited all day for reefcleaners. As always, worth the wait!

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's so funny. This was me yesterday, exactly. Waited all day for reefcleaners. As always, worth the wait!

Got them dumped in the QT. The dwarf ceriths were teeny tiny. Probably going to get eaten by the hermits. Emerald crab looked all kinds of ticked off.

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice tank I ended up drilling my returns for 3/4 and using the vca random flow and wish I went with the modular overflow I have the synergy and its cheap. where did you purchase the radion clone chips

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 71 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back