OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those frags are really looking good! glad to hear the emerald didn't wind up as crab cakes... lol

Thanks! It looks much better now that the sand is gone. Last week I had a bloom of bacteria out of nowhere and couldn't even see the frags looking top down.

Yeah that is one of my 2 fears... The other being that ol'crabcakes snatches one of the fish as it sleeps... Since they like to sleep in the rockscape. This guy seemed pretty aggressive in the QT going after my tweezers as I was target feeding him mysis.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure man, I have however seen something similar, color too, to that before with high fish load in a fw tank and not vacuuming for a month or 2. It was detritus/fish waste in my case. Hopefully that is what it is here too but I haven’t got the expertise to say.:oops:

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not sure man, I have however seen something similar, color too, to that before with high fish load in a fw tank and not vacuuming for a month or 2. It was detritus/fish waste in my case. Hopefully that is what it is here too but I haven’t got the expertise to say.:oops:

Haha I really hope you're right.

Good news is that everyone is out of QT and in the DT, unfortunately both are hiding.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you luck in your GHA battle man, hopefully stuff levels out quick!

That robo tank looks pretty cool, i had to look it up, hadn't seen one before. You will have up post some pics when you get it installed and give some feedback on it.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wish you luck in your GHA battle man, hopefully stuff levels out quick!

That robo tank looks pretty cool, i had to look it up, hadn't seen one before. You will have up post some pics when you get it installed and give some feedback on it.

Will do. It's a more elegant version of my reep pi build I've been running for the last 4-5 months. Got it hooked up for the most part, controls: temp/heaters, ph, 16 outlets, ato, my viparspectra lights, doser, and eheim automatic feeder. Plus it lets you create dang near infinite macros and timers and they can trigger each other, so the combinations can get wild.

Need to tidy up the install and 3d print some brackets to hold the controller and power bar.

Last edited:

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA is a heck of a thing man, i had it heavy in my 30 gallon tank. I can't rightly say what changed but one day it was pretty much gone and hasn't been an issue since. I tried manual removal, GFO, chemipure blue, and was about to try fluc. I still have a bottle of reef flux i never used, it just cleared up. I think it was like 2 months or so...
I've heard people have success spot treating small areas with h2o2.
You have a 3d printer? That is sweet! I talked the wife into letting me get one, it's on back order.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here with the GHA. I killed it off once while fallow and running fluconazole. It returned and I just kept picking away at it. Once again it's finally gone. I suspect this final time is that I've finally gotten chaeto and ogo to grow well in my fuge.

OP
OP
AbjectMaelstroM

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude, how's the tank looking, dying for an update! You over the hump yet with the gha?

Haha, yeah I've been slacking with the updates, work has been crazy last few weeks.

Fluconazole seems to be working. Still have GHA but it's about 25% of what it was. Doing spot manual removal as I can. I will get some pics today or tomorrow when I do WC as the last one was 3 weeks ago. Then do another dose of flucanozole. Nutrients have been bottomed out trying to starve out GHA and the zoas and hammers are definitely not happy. Lost both Monti frags... Not sure if they got starved out by GHA or what.

But yeah, pics coming this weekend.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost both Monti frags... Not sure if they got starved out by GHA or what.

But yeah, pics coming this weekend. :D

That really stinks :( 2 weeks ago just about everything was heavily covered with gha in my tank. I took a kitchen dish scrubby that I only use with the tank and a toothbrush to the rock trying to keep as much scrubbed off stuff stuck to the bristles as possible. I had a little bucket of water to rinse them out/ collect the gunk from the bristles that I would empty and get fresh water in about every 3 brush cleanings. That worked awesome. It is coming back but waaaaay slower. HTH Good luck dude!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back