The Mindstream is DEAD!! I'm getting mine soon!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The $995 hardware price of the mindstream however will likely prevent this product from seeing widespread use. At a $500 or lower price point I can see this product in every reef tank.

I agree at the $450-500 mark it would be in a large percentage of tanks even with the monthly subscription/lock out issue.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the cost factors don't match... ;Wacky

Mindstream is a tester / monitor

KH Director / Alkatronic / Trident... are all tester / monitor / controllers

Just say'n... :)
Will add kh guardian to this list.
And yes I agree on all.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me the cost factors don't match... ;Wacky

Mindstream is a tester / monitor

KH Director / Alkatronic / Trident... are all tester / monitor / controllers

Just say'n... :)

Yep - but for those of us who use their apex as a surge suppressor - and a monitoring device - I think its an interesting change. I don't rely on my apex to control ATO, leaks, etc. Have been burned. I'm certainly not going to ditch apex at this point - but its an interesting discussion - how much do we really need to have 'everything' on one website - which - if it fails is a big mess. (as compared to using the controllers with radions, maxspect, etc) - I mean its not like those things are being adjusted every day or week... If I get an alert from MindStream on all of those parameters - it will do the same thing that Apex does now for me. That said - I dont necessarily trust every new product either.

For example if the Alk is low - how hard is it to bump up dosing. etc. Is there any proven benefit that keeping the Alk between 8 and 8.01 over 24 hours benefits anything? IDK?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree @MnFish1 I don't use Apex to control anything with my lights. They have their own controller. Same with my ATO (except it is plugged in to one of my EB8's). It doesn't create any more work for me and even though my Apex is never unavailable I could still control my lights if it was.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree @MnFish1 I don't use Apex to control anything with my lights. They have their own controller. Same with my ATO (except it is plugged in to one of my EB8's). It doesn't create any more work for me and even though my Apex is never unavailable I could still control my lights if it was.

Right - same here. Its great to get into fusion and be able to shut things off and on at times - but other than that - I dont rely on it as a 'life support system'... I picture that I'm the life support system for my tank.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep - but for those of us who use their apex as a surge suppressor - and a monitoring device - I think its an interesting change. I don't rely on my apex to control ATO, leaks, etc. Have been burned. I'm certainly not going to ditch apex at this point - but its an interesting discussion - how much do we really need to have 'everything' on one website - which - if it fails is a big mess. (as compared to using the controllers with radions, maxspect, etc) - I mean its not like those things are being adjusted every day or week... If I get an alert from MindStream on all of those parameters - it will do the same thing that Apex does now for me. That said - I dont necessarily trust every new product either.

For example if the Alk is low - how hard is it to bump up dosing. etc. Is there any proven benefit that keeping the Alk between 8 and 8.01 over 24 hours benefits anything? IDK?

Who said anything about Apex controlling their entire systems?

If you want a monitor that's fine. I like the concept too

but..
Price costing Mindstream with full blown parameter controllers seems off, to me.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who said anything about Apex controlling their entire systems?

If you want a monitor that's fine. I like the concept too

but..
Price costing Mindstream with full blown parameter controllers seems off, to me.
But if look at the price diffrence between it and something like trident, cost difftent is between 50 to 100$ over 4 years usage..its small price compared to all the parameters it test...

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if look at the price diffrence between it and something like trident, cost difftent is between 50 to 100$ over 4 years usage..its small price compared to all the parameters it test...

Good point
and duly noted... ;Writing

:)

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point
and duly noted... ;Writing

:)
Do not get me wrong, if this thing was 500$ I would jump on it.
I do not mind the 35$ monthly. I spend more than that a month on all these test kits...
But I cannot deny that though entey price look high, calculating how much a trident cost you over 4 years and seeing it will look the same, it make no sense to pay for a trident or even khd and get less....so it's a no brainer.
But the mental barrier of the entry price is not easy..I get it.

Last edited:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You make some good points, MnFish1

FWIW:
My sps have shown to benefit holding alk super tight 27/4 with my Alkatronic, and some, have been bursting with new growth.

So, yes I can see the difference in holding alk that tight, but I did not expect to see that either... ;Wideyed

Bottom line:
No one best way and reefers should stay within their own comfort level.

There's no doubt it's an exciting time to be in the hobby.

Last edited:

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interestingly days ago .. I asked if the vendor would be responding on this post and directing us to some video feeds of the unit in use. Still nothing.. I am shocked they have not posted one video of the unit in use in lab. a tank, on a desk anywhere. Consumers love to feel, touch and see the product. I continue to hope for the best but.. the fact we have still nothing really continues to concern me.. we have so much hype and talk on this thread.. and yet .. the vendor is not one here answering questions and posting videos.. I would bet if they did more that are on the fence like me would be laying down the credit card...

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interestingly days ago .. I asked if the vendor would be responding on this post and directing us to some video feeds of the unit in use. Still nothing.. I am shocked they have not posted one video of the unit in use in lab. a tank, on a desk anywhere. Consumers love to feel, touch and see the product. I continue to hope for the best but.. the fact we have still nothing really continues to concern me.. we have so much hype and talk on this thread.. and yet .. the vendor is not one here answering questions and posting videos.. I would bet if they did more that are on the fence like me would be laying down the credit card...

I believe the vendor did respond on this post earlier, but I agree and can’t wait to see someone post personal use pics/video/data. Hopefully it won’t be too long before someone receives one.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here’s a photo posted to Facebook by a customer named Dave Botwin. He has received his already.
2D86EBBE-9A8E-4460-ADBD-FE9E92C2F8B9.jpeg

They said they would not be posting here for a little while yet until after they have ramped up production. They are making posts on their Facebook page every few days now. This morning they released a video of the disc manufacturing process.

Last edited:

Badguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$1000 down plus $34 a month..... wow is all I have to say.

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a photo posted to Facebook by a customer named Dave Botwin. He has received his already.
2D86EBBE-9A8E-4460-ADBD-FE9E92C2F8B9.jpeg

They said they would not be posting here for a little while yet until after they have ramped up production. They are making posts on their Facebook page every few days now. This morning they released a video of the disc manufacturing process.

Through following all the FB posts at the time he also stated in another FB thread that he ordered it on what would have been Saturday night and got it Monday morning. It is fake information or he is part of the beta test group. It isn't from the current orders. They aren't even shipping for another 6-8 weeks. Just one more reason why people aren't trusting this.

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through following all the FB posts at the time he also stated in another FB thread that he ordered it on what would have been Saturday night and got it Monday morning. It is fake information or he is part of the beta test group. It isn't from the current orders. They aren't even shipping for another 6-8 weeks. Just one more reason why people aren't trusting this.

I’m not sure how he got his so fast, but I am pretty sure this is not “fake.” Maybe he was a beta tester who got first dibs on a new unit—-I don’t know.

From your posts on this thread you seem to think that this is all some elaborate ripoff that has been in the works for 5 years. That’s pretty unlikely in my opinion.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
more likely is that he clicked on the order button as one of the first - and- and he got his quickly.... but who knows...

Torx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will think otherwise once someone here posts something legitimate about getting one. It has been 7 years since they announced it. Sorry, 6 years and 8 months or close to that. In the mean time they are taking people's money and have no proof one even exists. In a hobby where people complain about a $10 difference from one vendor to another I find it funny how people are dropping $1000-$1500 on something that has no proof it even exists

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 47 23.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back