Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a hard time watching that - I assumed the parents told him it was an apple. Or does he like onions? Poor kid rubs his eyes with onion hands! When I'm 90 my kids will probably do that stuff to me. "No dad, habaneros taste like grapes. Have a few." .... "look Tommy, grandpa is crying because he loves you!"

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, been a while. Just checking in. I don’t even remember if I mentioned it here, but our house flooded in May. We have been back in it about a month after some pretty significant repairs.

I was considering setting my tank back up and boom - in a hurricane track cone again. So waiting to see how that goes. We are at least on the far west side of the cone, which is good for us. Not so good for the center and SE part of the state and further east.

My nano has been running outside in 90°+ heat on my carport since June. Only thing alive in it is snails, chaeto and hopefully denitrifying bacteria to seed the 125 someday.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello. I checked and saw that Katrina hasn’t logged on since the end of January. I was hoping she had popped in, but guess not.

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, been a while. Just checking in. I don’t even remember if I mentioned it here, but our house flooded in May. We have been back in it about a month after some pretty significant repairs.

I was considering setting my tank back up and boom - in a hurricane track cone again. So waiting to see how that goes. We are at least on the far west side of the cone, which is good for us. Not so good for the center and SE part of the state and further east.

My nano has been running outside in 90°+ heat on my carport since June. Only thing alive in it is snails, chaeto and hopefully denitrifying bacteria to seed the 125 someday.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello. I checked and saw that Katrina hasn’t logged on since the end of January. I was hoping she had popped in, but guess not.
Wow, I'm sorry about all that. The good news that being in the cone now virtually guarantees you won't get hit. What hurricane did you get hit by last? Was it Laura?

Last edited:

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I'm sorry about all that. The good news that being in the cone now virtually guarantees you won't get hit. What hurricane did you get hit by last? Was it Laura?
Yeah, I retired in January 2020 and it has been one thing after the other. We had two direct hits by hurricanes last August - September. Hurricane Laura was the first one and it was a monster. It was the third most powerful storm to make landfall in the U.S. RIpped the town to shreds. A number of people on my street still do not have roofs on their houses from Laura, due to insurance companies dragging their feet or lack of someone to put the roof on. Lots of businesses have still not reopened. The second storm was Delta. It was mostly a rain event. We almost flooded then but lucked out. In May we had a bad thunderstorm that dumped 17" of rain on us in six hours. We got 5" of water in the house. It's been fun. Definitely don't need another weather event anytime soon.

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I retired in January 2020 and it has been one thing after the other. We had two direct hits by hurricanes last August - September. Hurricane Laura was the first one and it was a monster. It was the third most powerful storm to make landfall in the U.S. RIpped the town to shreds. A number of people on my street still do not have roofs on their houses from Laura, due to insurance companies dragging their feet or lack of someone to put the roof on. Lots of businesses have still not reopened. The second storm was Delta. It was mostly a rain event. We almost flooded then but lucked out. In May we had a bad thunderstorm that dumped 17" of rain on us in six hours. We got 5" of water in the house. It's been fun. Definitely don't need another weather event anytime soon.
Wow, that's awful! I think I would be ready to move. Several years ago there was a small city here that got direct hits from all 3 hurricanes that went through FL, but nothing as bad as there. I hope things improve there. Keep in touch with us even if your tank isn't up!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hope you are safe, in my thoughts. :)

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you are safe, in my thoughts. :)
Hey Simon, Thanks for thinking about us, but rest assured that we are not being affected by this storm. We are on the southwest portion of the state, only 30 miles from the Texas line. The storm is making landfall on the southeast side of the state, close to New Orleans. We will have little to no exposure to this storm. 10-20mph winds and 1"- 2" of rain are all that is expected here today. Hurricane season runs until the end of November. Hoping this one is the only storm to pop up in the Gulf this year, but it likely won't be.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Simon, Thanks for thinking about us, but rest assured that we are not being affected by this storm. We are on the southwest portion of the state, only 30 miles from the Texas line. The storm is making landfall on the southeast side of the state, close to New Orleans. We will have little to no exposure to this storm. 10-20mph winds and 1"- 2" of rain are all that is expected here today. Hurricane season runs until the end of November. Hoping this one is the only storm to pop up in the Gulf this year, but it likely won't be.

I did google your location earlier and looked at the storm track, my thoughts are with everyone in danger.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did google your location earlier and looked at the storm track, my thoughts are with everyone in danger.
It will be a life-changing event for many in the affected area. I have a close friend that is in harm's way big time, but he did not leave. I have many other friends that live over there and I believe most of them have gotten out of the way.

Wow, so sorry to hear about the flooding! Hopefully your neighbors get their roofs replaced soon.
There are still blue tarps on roofs on many houses here from Laura that was a direct hit last August 26th. Lots of people are just now getting back in their houses from Laura. Many people still living in RVs parked in their driveways or in other temporary housing. The news never follows up after large natural disasters and people on the outside don't realize how long it takes to recover from them. Many businesses here were damaged and have not reopened yet and many will never reopen. The lack of contractors in the area has forced people to use workers from other states that flood the area and you have no idea if they are reputable or not. There is about to be another big mess in Louisiana. I really feel for those people in Ida's crosshairs.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hope you guys are safe. Been watching it and thinking about you folks

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you guys are safe. Been watching it and thinking about you folks
We are fine. Only cloudy here right now. We are on the west side of the storm, so we are in a really good place - this time at least.

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are fine. Only cloudy here right now. We are on the west side of the storm, so we are in a really good place - this time at least.
I looked on the live cams for your area earlier to see how things might be for you. It was good to see that it looked like life was going on as normal with cars and people on the street, Etc

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back